RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

madyak

Nov 14, 2004, 9:02 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Lighting your Stove
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay folks, this is going to sound like a total newb question,

but in nasty, nasty weather I'm facing cooking in my tent, however, the canister stove being at home, I'm looking at having to prime and light a white gas flame thrower. Any suggestions on doing this w/o setting my tent on fire? Canister stoves give a nice little "pop" and light, but white gas stoves give a big scary flame for a while during priming. Any suggestions on this?

The particular stoves in use: MSR dragonfly and simmerlite

And yes, I have adequate ventilation.

slavetogravity

Nov 14, 2004, 9:34 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lighting your Stove [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally the weather has got to get pretty nasty, nasty before you'll find me cooking in my tent.

Of course when you say "cooking in the tent" you of course don't mean in side the body of the tent, you mean " cooking in the vestibule". Because unless you'd like to see that nasty, nasty weather find its way in doors your going to keep the cooking to the vestibule. Vestibules, like the rest of a nylon tent, will burn like a roman candle when sent a flame. But the vestibule unlike the rest of your tent is expendable. Sure your tent's going to be FUBAR but you're going to stay dry.

So when lighting the stove inside the vestibule the best advise I can give is practise with the thing before you fire it up in the tent. You've got to be able to keep the priming flame low, this is obvious. So practise, practise, practise.

When you finally find your self in a cook or die situation and you've got to fire that baby up. Always think, safety first. Use as many heat shields as possible. One heat shield that is often over looked and could mean the difference between intact tent or new nylon sky light is your pot.

Imagine your self, your priming the stove. But augh CRAP! TOO MUCH FUEL!! The flame is growing higher and you begin the panic! But wait you think. If I turn my pot upside down and hold it with the pot holder above the flame It becomes a heat/flame shield and I've just prevent the flame from burning the tent.

Keep the door open- if even just a little bit- and be ready for the ol' grab and toss when things get WAY out of control.

Finally. Never, never, never, never, never store fuel in the body of the tent. If the fuel leaks you could wake up with one whopper of a head ache, or not wake up at all.

paulraphael

Nov 15, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are a few options, depending on conditions ...

1: you can prime and light the stove outside, immediately downwind from the tent. after it's stabilized, shield it from the wind with your body and bring it inside. avoids some risks; introduces its own risks. try not to set your clothes on fire.
2: you can prime it with priming paste. this isn't volatile like fuel, so the stove won't flare up.
3: you can play alpine roulette and light it normally. might help to have your supply of snow for melted water real handy, in case things go wrong and you have to put out an inferno with it.

Like you said, it's usually preferable to use the vestibule. especially if you have 2 vestibules ... then you have an escape route if one of them catches on fire. But a lot of people cook with liquid fuel in the middle of the tent in severe conditions, because the stove provides heat. Obviously, being careful is important. I would only do it with a very disciplined partner, and with a tent that has excellent ventilation both low and high.

rockrat_co

Nov 16, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, well i would suggest the following:

(1) Turn Gas on on stove
(2) Count to three or so (not to more than ten, trust me)
(3) hold a small pan or pot about 3" above the stove
(4) ignite via. match, lighter, or electric ignition.

Another idea is to just create a soda/beer can stove, they wor very well, and all you need is a pocket knife and a can of beer/soda to make them. (and white gas or butane).

scubasnyder

Nov 16, 2004, 2:47 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use the foil so the wind down blow it out toss in a match, works fine ive lit my dragonfly in the rain snow and wind, never a problem.

paulraphael

Nov 16, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, there's the kind of wind that makes it tricky to light a match, and there's the kind of wind that makes in even trickier, because if you let go of your ice tool you'll blow off the mountain. it's not always easy.

dingus

Nov 16, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a thought... leave that piece of shit MSR whisperlite (whisper, lol!) in the bottom of the trunk and take a cannister stove with a heat coil.

Cheers
DMT

monkey_toes

Nov 16, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with the windshield and cookpot method. I have an XGK and if I need to light it up in the vestibule I put the windshield almost all the way around the stove with a cookpot on top - then I use the a barbeque lighter to light the thing up. Works very well and no flareups.

HTH

Jeff

shakylegs

Nov 16, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's a thought... leave that piece of s--- MSR whisperlite (whisper, lol!) in the bottom of the trunk and take a cannister stove with a heat coil.

Cheers
DMT

At the risk of sounding unedumacated: what's a heat coil?

madyak

Nov 17, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the ideas, but yah, what's a heat coil?

And to those concerned: I know that you can easily die of carbon mon/di-oxide poisoning in your tent, so yes, I have adequate ventallation. I am not suicidal, so I won't be using a whitegas stove inside the tent proper, only in the vestibule (iso-butane in the tent is OK with me so long as my partner doesn't kick it over - hmm, hanging stoves anyone?)

alucard

Nov 17, 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you dont light a stove
it gives your position away
making you a target for a night time bombardment or sniper mark

:wink:

madyak

Nov 18, 2004, 5:02 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you dont light a stove
it gives your position away
making you a target for a night time bombardment or sniper mark

:wink:

I've not done anything yet to fear being shot by one of our trained snipers.

bomb terrorist america fire flee apocaylse religious right

oh crap, now I'll have to switch to a life-time of spelunking... Any tips on lighting stoves in damp caves...?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook