RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

nmt252

Nov 23, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Anyone heading to Potrero Chico for New Years
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My mother lives in a small town north of Austin and I reside in Golden, Colorado. Anyways, I'll be in TX for christmas and then my buddy ,whose parents live in LA now, is going to fly in on the 26th and then we are headed to "El Toro" (Potrero Chico)

Anyone heading down there? We've heard that the New Years party down there is off the chain!!! Last year the ranch that we are staying at hired a mariachi band for the New Years celebration!!!!

Let me know if your headed that way. It would be awesome to either road trip down there with a bunch of people or atleast toast some cold cervezas after a full day of climbing with some fellow climbers............

b-radh
Deleted

Nov 23, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone heading to Potrero Chico for New Years [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I are heading down to potrero for winter break- we will be there for the new years party, so see you there- my name is Brad and my girlfriends is Molly.

pazreal

Nov 23, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there from 12/29-1/17 with the chica, flying in from NJ and should be a blast. My name is Arthur and she is Jess you'll see us around friend

jaybird2

Nov 23, 2004, 6:23 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't trust nmt252. He is the kinda guy that you drink a few beers with, feel weird, pass out, and then wake up in an ice bath with a gaping wound where your liver used to be.

Kidding. I am climbing with the guy there from the 27th - 1st down there. My name is Jay. And what is up with all the of the my name is Bobby All American and I am bringing my lovely girlfriend, Jenny The Hot Next Door Neighbor. I can't take it, I need a climbing girlfriend. All I get is stuck with sleeping next to some dirtbag that snores in his sleep for the week in Mexico.

I will be the other dirtbag pounding beers, giving girls the "love-eye", while trying to keep my balance while sitting. Kidding, I will not be balancing, I will be falling and yelling viva la "something". The something will continually change as I learn new words in spanish.

nmt252

Nov 23, 2004, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to add some info to our trip.. We're staying at "Homero's Ranch." I drive a white 96' Ford Ranger, with TX plates. I'm 5'11 with black hair and brown eyes and will more than likely be the one with the cerveza in hand and speaking Spanish with the locals. My compadre,Jay, is 5'4, well need I say more than his heighth?????

Hey can anyone give us the most pain free step-by-step to get over the border with a vehicle....... Plus any do's and don't?

nmt252

Nov 23, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay correct me if I am wrong, but the 2 of us are staying in the cabana that sleeps 4-6 people for the week. Therefore if that first part is correct we have extra space in the cabana for 2-4 more people........ Why not offer the space to anyone still looking??????? Preferably single swimsuit models, that are dabbling in rock climbing....

no seriously, once Jay confirms our reservations set-up then we'll let everyone know...

nmt252

Dec 4, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TO ALL:
we've Jay and I have confirmed our reservations at Homero's Ranch in Potrero Chico for the Christmas Holidays.
I'll be in the Austin area from the 21st until the 27th and then again on the 2nd. If anyone wants to get together to do some bouldering or gym climbing in that area (Austin) drop me a line.

8flood8

Dec 19, 2004, 4:06 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

contact the mexican consulate its in downtown austin i can't remember what street.

you can have a ZERO hassle trip down there if you prepare by getting your proper insurance and "tourista" 7day pass (its free)

here.. i even have the consulate in my cell...512 478 2866

i think its about $200 dollars for the insurance and its well worth the money to take the car down there (you will want to go into town)

pm me any questions i have traveled in a car down there twice

okieterry

Dec 22, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've driven down there several times with no problems. Buy your insurance and pesos at the last exit in Laredo. Once across the bridge and into Mexico, follow the signs to get your tourist pass and register your vehicle.

Once you hit the road out of Nuevo Laredo...you'll hit the federal inspection (guys with machine guns). If you are unlucky they might search you real good...I mean pull everything out and pour it out kind of search. This had only happened to me once though...usually you just pull through.

Take the turnpike to Monterrey, its well worth it.

Have fun and smile.

nmt252

Dec 22, 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advise. My mom actually bought my climbing partner and I plane tickets to Monterrey, and then we are catching the shuttle to Homero's Ranch. Merry Freakin' Christmas present to us!!!!!

Maybe we could try to get a group together for a future road trip to Mexico. A few days in Austin on 6th street and then south bound to Potrero??????

jackscoldsweat

Dec 22, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
TO ALL:
we've Jay and I have confirmed our reservations at Homero's Ranch in Potrero Chico for the Christmas Holidays.

Yea yea yea...you and Jay just RUUUUB in the fact that you'll be climbing hard during the break. Meanwhile, my fat ass is home trying to figure out the RAS thing. Jay, you know what i'm talking about. You two make a perfect couple. Good thing you made reservations at the HOMO Ranch. you'll fit right in with the rest of them there boys...

Listen to everything OkieTerry tells you. As he can climb harder than you or I could dream of...

have fun brothas.....and wear a frickin helmet...dont' try to look kool. it's impossible for Jay to do so.....mr. i ski hard and never told anyone....

nm252..i don't even know you but you gotta be a kool cat to endure the presence of Jay....

be safe

JCS

james_climber

Dec 23, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`ll be there (dic/25)with all my climbing partners , we like to have fun with all the climbing comunity , an d would be great get lil drunk at new years day , guys can u bring some girls( imean not urs gf ) girls to meet her , okay , if anyone wanna climb in the center of mexico i'll be back jan/2 ,

My name is James i'll staying 50 meters before to cerro gordo's ranch there it is a house illhave just 2 or 3 days the house (dic 25 to 27)

see ya around

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook