RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

just4fun

Nov 23, 2004, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Little tikes that climb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello I have just had the best day out climbing, even if it was at the gym, it was a coincedence that there was actually a kids full body harness in the box, and I had my four year old daughter with me. It was Aimee's first day on a top rope and the best to watch as a mum, just the concerntration on her face and the pure determination there made it magic, off to gets some gear her size, and has to be purple too!
Does any one out there have the same feeling everytime you go out with your little tikes?

opheliaascending

Nov 23, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #2 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Re: Little tikes that climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My daughter, Ayla, is 3 and I can't wait to get her in a harness. She hasn't come with us yet because we just don't get a lot of time climbing, so when we do, it's like run out and savor the 2-3 hours without the two kids. Next year, we'll be taking both kids, ages 3 and 1 to some secret crags where they can play and Ayla can climb if she wants. She's so cute when she says, "When I get older, I'm gonna go rock climber." and "Mommy, I'm going to be a climbergirl!" said just like that, no space in between climber and girl. 8^)

just4fun

Nov 24, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #3 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds soo cute! I have been Taking my kids out bouldering for the last couple of months and it was just be chance there was a harness that fitted, just checked out the petzl harnesess and there are two to chose from: the Ouistiti 4-9 year olds up to 30 kgs and Simba 5-10 year olds up to 40 kgs, no idea what they cost in the USA but have a look. We just had some ropes set up for the night and used the end of one on a couple of draws up about 2 and a half meters, that was fine and the kids loved it, what a natural!
Happy climbing

gritgirl

Nov 24, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #4 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We've been taking our now 2 1/2 year old with us bouldering and to the climbing wall for a while. He loves to say "mommy climbing, daddy climbing". He has been trying to climb on the climbing wall and it's pretty amazing to see him look up to try and find new holds. I think once he gets a little bit better coordinated he'll be showing us up. Since we live in England, we are going to try to go to Fontainebleu within the next year so maybe he can cut his teeth on some baby boulders.
I personally think it's awesome to get kids interested in climbing (or any outdoor sports) at an early age. Not only will they grow up with great techniques and skill but they will also learn appreciation for the outdoors and also physical fitness. I say, turn off the tv, go outside and let nature entertain you!

just4fun

Nov 24, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #5 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I agree, they also learn social skills if there are other little kids and colour of holds, counting, right from left, nothing better than fresh air and excercise, it channels there energy (there is just too much of it sometimes) and it gives them focus and determination to give things a good crack

aniyunwiyaclimber

Nov 27, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took my son to our rock gym when he was about 3 and a half as a reward for potty training. He was bouldering and really tentative about it, but loved it. I took him back at 5 and he's better at traversing a vertical plane than me! No fear, great natural technique. A few weeks ago we took him to do some top rope climbing and he just hated it - it's funny to me that the kid climbs to the top of my refrigerator on wobbly stools when I'm not looking and it's totally without fear, but get him on a rope and he's terrified. We talk a lot about the importance of listening and following directions, because he's learning that now in general, and I usually refer it back to a skill he can generalize when he climbs - that he's got to listen and follow directions well to learn to be a good climber, and he is motivated by that. I enjoy introducing him to rock climbing, and it's one of those special things we do together.

Marge

just4fun

Dec 2, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #7 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont worry about, the ropes as such but just boulder if thats what he likes to do, thats how I started mine, Chris 2 still boulders more, only just let him climb when he wants to, that way he's enjoying it doing it his way, I take a harness so when thay want to climb thaey can, so have fun crank it out, happy climbing

jkornelis

Jan 5, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #8 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=45120

Dillan at just age 5.

vertk8r

Jan 5, 2005, 8:32 PM
Post #9 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a little niece and I was wondering...asking the moms what age do you think would be good to start bringing her to the climbing gym to see if she likes it. I thought about 5 years old. Since I am not anywhere near motherhood yet, I thought I would ask the professionals :D .
Any ideas what age would be appropriate?

raelinn

Jan 5, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #10 of 10 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my kids are 13, 12 and 6 girl boy girl and the younger 2 love to climb! my son "works" at the local gym and my little one just made it to the top of her first route there as well. They all come out with me when I climb as the oldest loves to be outside and hike. (getting over some fear of heights things.) but even she has realized what great exercise it is and what fun and sense of accomplishment you feel when you try your best even if you come down before completing a route. I think climbing is a fantastic family activity! I'm glad to see so many other climbing moms getting their kids involved. :D

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook