RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

emperor030

Nov 29, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Nepal Extremes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tried these on and they fit like a glove, but I walked around a bit and they seemed to rock on an edge. I'm new to ice climbing, and I was wondering if this was normal. I dont have weird feet as far as i know. will they break in? In other words, I wouldn't want to walk around town with them, but I assume I won't be doing much walking without crampons.

sandbag

Nov 29, 2004, 8:30 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Re: Nepal Extremes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

THe Nepal extreme is a full on leather mountaineering boot, not just ice climbing. I was trying these out and got the Kayland Revolutions instead for a better price and they are very similar.
Youll walk more than you think, so go out and hike around in them, get used to them and yes, break then in too. Youll be miserable if you wait to find out out the first blistering cold day on a long approach that you should have worn them more first...

mtman

Nov 29, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

these are full mountaineering boots they will NOT break in very much, they have a metal shank in them so the soles will be stiff for front pointing, so just like in climbing shoes try on several other mountaineering boots and the one that fits best should be the one you get. as said above you will do a lot more hiking than you think in them, that said what you might be experiencing is the rocker in the sole to make it easier to walk in as they will not flex

i don't know what you want to do with these boots ice climbing only or general mountaineering, technical mountaineering?

so you might want to check out other brands, like kayland, vasque, montratil

i know that montrail has the ice 9 boot that has a special crampon that locks into the boot to make it fully rigged for ice climbing but when you take off the crampons it is semi flexible to make walking easier

check it out here http://www.montrail.com/goods/prod_description.cfm?id=66&gender=male

i have not tried them out but i know a guy that has them and he likes them they might be worth looking in to

mtman

akicebum

Nov 29, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They have a steel shank in them. They aren't going to bend at all. This is a good thing. You need a rigid sole for an Ice boot, other wise you are going to be fighting your front points the whole time and wearing out your calves. I have the Extremes and it is the only boot I purhcase. The Kaylands are nice, but the Extremes were made for my feet. Oh yeah, two words custom footbeds.

sandbag

Nov 29, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They have a steel shank in them. They aren't going to bend at all. This is a good thing. You need a rigid sole for an Ice boot, other wise you are going to be fighting your front points the whole time and wearing out your calves. I have the Extremes and it is the only boot I purhcase. The Kaylands are nice, but the Extremes were made for my feet. Oh yeah, two words custom footbeds.

Kaylands Revolutions fit like a glove, and the steel isnt for ice, its added support for heavy loads and basically springs you along. I have a pair of vasque GTX and they have a full steel shank but suck for ice because the uppers arent as stiff. the NE are nice, but my long skinny feet found the volume too much.
Best thing to do is go find a festival( Ouray, Canmore, New Hampshire etc) and demo boots all day, one pair a day if you can to really get the feel of them. they are an investment, and when your feet are f*^&ed up in the middle of nowhere, youll erally wish you had a great pair of boots that fit your feet instead of a great deal that almost fits....

wedgy

Nov 29, 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you're walking around or on aproaches only lace past the locks by one hook. In other words don't lace up the tops unless you're climbing. Ever walk in ski boots? It's easier if you unbuckle them to walk. Try front pointing with the top of the boot laced loose, then tight. Huge difference. The foot beds are worthless. Funny for a $400 boot. You can get custom fit ones at a ski boot shop.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook