alberta_climberboy

Dec 6, 2004, 2:46 AM
Post #1 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Morons with saws.
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was recently in Banff National park.
Roughly 10 meters inside the border after the spot where you get your day pass for the park a man stopped his car, with his wife, and son, walked 10 feet off the road and proceeded to cut down a tree. I took his liscence plate number and reported him to the wardens. They informed me later he had been charge and had ben given a ticket.
My Question is, how low do you have to be to go into a national park and cut down a tree? Anyone else run into tree thieves like this? And if so have you reported them? Because they can fine them! :)
Eric,
Safe climbing!

iltripp

Dec 6, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #2 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Re: Morons with saws. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So it was you!!!!

You no good, backstabbing, teacher's skirt tugging, tattle telling, do gooder!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That ticket cost a lot of money.

iltripp

Dec 6, 2004, 3:05 AM
Post #3 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just kidding...

Seriously, there are some dumb/ignorant people out there...

berkov

Dec 6, 2004, 3:10 AM
Post #4 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to go! But I would have also slashed all his tires

thinksinpictures

Dec 6, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #5 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So the OP watched him cut down the tree and then reported him, and another poster would have slashed his tires. :?

Why hasn't it occurred to anyone that when you see something like this the best initial course of action is just to talk to the person? Might it have done more good in the end to explain the purpose of national forests and ask him not to cut down the tree in the first place? While there are plenty of people out there that just don't care, in my experience the majority of people who do things like this are ignorant. I've talked to people feeding animals in Yosemite who have no idea about the consequences of their actions. Same goes for folks that throw apple cores and orange rinds along trails because "they'll biodegrade." They're not all jerks, most of 'em just don't know better until you talk to 'em.

Partner philbox

Dec 6, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #6 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from Trip Reports to Community.

perozee

Dec 6, 2004, 10:10 AM
Post #7 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many people don't understand logic but understand a fine.

johnson6102002

Dec 6, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #8 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Many people don't understand logic but understand a fine.

true especially some one cuting down a tree in a national park

iltripp

Dec 6, 2004, 9:56 PM
Post #9 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So the OP watched him cut down the tree and then reported him, and another poster would have slashed his tires. :?

Why hasn't it occurred to anyone that when you see something like this the best initial course of action is just to talk to the person? Might it have done more good in the end to explain the purpose of national forests and ask him not to cut down the tree in the first place? While there are plenty of people out there that just don't care, in my experience the majority of people who do things like this are ignorant. I've talked to people feeding animals in Yosemite who have no idea about the consequences of their actions. Same goes for folks that throw apple cores and orange rinds along trails because "they'll biodegrade." They're not all jerks, most of 'em just don't know better until you talk to 'em.

I've tried to talk to people like this, and I've seen others do the same. Most of the time, advice about proper wilderness etiquette was met with blank stares or beligerence. This isn't to say that you should make no attempt, but sometimes letting the ranger deal with it (by giving a fine) is the best way.

alberta_climberboy

Dec 7, 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #10 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, when i pulled over to him I got uot and said, "You know that's illegal right?"
So yes thinksinpictures I did take the time to talk to him.
And in this case he was a moron with a saw.
He told me, "to mind my own business and to get on with what I was doing."
Eric,
O ya if you ever see this happening take a pic of his plate and show the warden. He will do something.
Eric.

slavetogravity

Dec 7, 2004, 4:42 AM
Post #11 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work as a Back Country Ranger for BC Parks and have personal had to deal with situations like this many times. Most involve people who are camping at local camp grounds, are drunk, have an axe and are board. In dealing with these situations I’ve usually found that people are genuinely embarrassed buy their actions when caught. They are embarrassed that there actions just landed them a fine and put and end to their holiday. Imagine taking your family on a camping holiday only to get you and your family evicted from the park by an act of stupidity. The fine is in BC parks is a minimum 86 dollars for chopping down a tree. But in most cases that’s a minor punishment compared to the wrath that the guys wives or girlfriend they had to face after I kicked them all out of the park.
In other cases the actions are much more serious. Last summer I was involved in an investigation into the creation of illegal trail in my Park that involved the removal of about 120 standing trees. When it comes to protecting or parks in Canada I would encourage all park visitors to keep an eye out for suspicions activity. You should never try to intervene but record the time, place, license plate and description of people involved.
I work in a park called Wells Gray. It’s about one million acres in size and due to recent budget cut backs there are only two of us backcountry ranges left to parole this park. I welcome any help the public would be willing to give in helping us protect this, or any other of our nations parks. Remember, poachers are thieves.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook