RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

euleto

Dec 9, 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Which Camelback?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi.

I was thinking about buying a camelback. I dont currently do any multipitch, and i probably wont actually ever carry it while climbing. However, I need a new backpack for climbing gear, and one with a water supply would be quite handy. So, does anyone have suggestions on which camelback would be able to handle climbing gear, but not be a monster-big bag? (By climbing gear, im talking shoes, harness, quickdraws and some biners.)

Thanks

tdah

Dec 10, 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Re: Which Camelback? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the camelback mule, which i love. it's one of the largest by camelback that i've seen; it has a "large" central pocket and several smaller ones, but even it won't hold near the amount of stuff you're asking of it.

ok, just checked http://www.camelback.com/rec/products.cfm. they have a few that appear much larger than mine and says they're good for a "light" overnight (one has about 35 L of cargo space).

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 10, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost any day pack or crag pack worth its salt will have a hydration sleeve inside, where you slide in the Camelbak bladder, and a hole or 2 on top where the tube comes out.

My Marmot eiger 35 has one, my Lowe daypack does too, my TNF daypack does... etc etc. Don't sacrifice what you want just because it comes with a bladder. Pick one up at a cycling store for $20 (100 oz.).

olejeff

Dec 10, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are several camelbaks larger than the mule. I have a mule and love it. It's great for long multipitch routes. There's room for shell, food, headlamp and any anti-epic gear you might want to pack (extra cord, quicklinks, etc). It holds 100 oz. It has nice shoulder straps, waist belt, and chest strap. I would not buy a camelbak pack for climbing gear. I have a camelbak sherpa, one of their largest packs, and hate it. The pack is a one size (susposed to) fits all. Not enough support in the pack to really carry anything. Buy a real pack to haul your gear to the climb and slip on the smaller camelbak for supplies and hydration while climbing...or..you can always rack up at the car, pack coil the rope, and then you're good to go with any small camelbak. Just my thoughts.

gefunk

Dec 10, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of people around here use the BD hollowpoints. I like the look of the pack and it seems to be fully functional when you want to go to the gym or the crag. A hydration sleeve is nice, though they do tend to get rather stinky with the "funK." Basically go to a place like REI and man handle every day pack you can find. When one is in your price range and you like it pick it up. Honestly though, you will never be able to have enough back packs.

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 10, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go with MSR if you don't mind the taste (which i don't notice anymore)

vegastradguy

Dec 10, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally, i prefer the camelbak unbottles (i have the 70oz and 100oz), they're just the bladder with an insulation sleeve welded to them.

i stick them in my daypack and/or backpack.

i've never had any funk problems or leaks.

i threw away my platypus bladder...i bought it on the advice of a friend because it was stronger and supposedly wouldnt funk up as easily. of course, it leaked on every single climb, one time almost creating a massive epic. i'll never buy one of those again.

mendou

Dec 10, 2004, 3:51 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, I need a new backpack for climbing gear, and one with a water supply would be quite handy (By climbing gear, im talking shoes, harness, quickdraws and some biners.)

i have a Ethos Camelbak and i would suggest you to buy one of this.

is not so big, it have 3 liter capacity and you can carry all your gear with you (i keep my rock shoes, harness, webbing, quickdraws and some biners in my Ethos)

here is the pic...

http://www.camelback.com/.../images/pm_60052.jpg

and here is the link with all specifications...

http://www.camelback.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=225

good luck! :D

rckymntneer

Dec 10, 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have a Camelback MULE, but I also do long wilderness hikes. When I do 12 miles or better in the New Mexico dessert at 90+ degrees, the 100 oz. bottle doesn't cut it. I bought a Camelback HAWG. It's rigged to carry two 100 oz. bottles. But I usualy only carry one, and it has plenty of room for gear, but isn't an overly big bag. If you have a full trad rack, don't expect it to fit, but for sport climbing, you should be able to fit pretty much everything you would need for a day, minus the rope.

Rick (RckyMntneer)

hemp22

Dec 10, 2004, 4:07 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd also recommend getting an Unbottle. They're insulated, don't seem to have problems w/ funk...
Tthen you can just carry the Unbottle in any pack that has a pouch/pocket for a water bladder. For some days, you'll probably want that to be a large pack (like an arc'teryx bora) that holds your rope, rack, shoes, and kitchen sink. Other days you might need to climb with a pack on so you can put it in a small day pack like a Grivel Manu, which is a great climbing day pack with built in gear loops...(which i just promoted in a different thread)

anykineclimb

Dec 10, 2004, 4:56 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good idea would be to get a CB Classic. You can still slide it into your hydration sleeve in your pack, but once at the crag, you can pull it out to wear. VERY handy while belaying.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook