RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

imnotclever

Dec 13, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Charles Houston interview.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Charles Houston. I saw his interview this weekend and it was great. I wanted to post the transcript, but it looks like they don’t have it on their web site yet. Here is the link to where I think it will be.

If you have recently heard of Pete Schoening's axe belay on K2, Houston was one of the guys on the line.

Well if you get a chance to see the interview, check it out.

katydid

Dec 13, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Re: Charles Houston interview. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Saw it on PBS this weekend on Bill Moyers' show. Apparently Moyers has known Dr. Houston since his Peace Corps days. What an incredible man, not just for what he has accomplished, but for his whole self.

k.

imnotclever

Dec 15, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The transcript is up.

A quote I liked:

In reply to:
HOUSTON: Rock feels good, yes.

MOYERS: How? I mean, you're talking to somebody who doesn't climb.

HOUSTON: Well, rock climbing, you have a sense of the rock. Almost as though it were a living thing under your hands and you learn to explore... I've never been a great climber. I'm just a competent climber and I know my limits. But I love getting out and doing it.
In reply to:
HOUSTON: Three people went back to try to bring Art across this ice slope to us. And he was gone. There was no trace. And at the time, we assumed… we believed that an avalanche had taken him. And we hadn't heard it, we hadn't seen it. We were only 150 feet away. But we hadn't heard it or seen it.

But we believe that an avalanche had taken him away. But whatever it was, we were then free. And as I look back on it, and I haven't said this before, as I look back on it, I think it's more than likely that Art Gilkey, knowing that we were hurt, knowing that we would never leave him, and knowing that we probably couldn't get him down, I believe that he wiggled himself loose, and gave up his life to save ours.

In reply to:
MOYERS: At base camp they treated their injuries, held a service in memory of Art, and started the long trip home across those 350 miles of rugged terrain.

HOUSTON: I just sat down and thought, "I don't want to do that again. I've got a wife and three kids I love. I've got my practice of medicine, which I love. I'm done with that." Off with it.

jer

Dec 15, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is also an interview/photo/curriculam vitae in Alpinist 9.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook