Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing Mexico for Winter. Please lend some tips ! ! !
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

quigley

Dec 21, 2004, 2:56 AM
Post #1 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Mexico for Winter. Please lend some tips ! ! !
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone

My name is Mike Quigley, Im from Kenora Ontario. IM sick of freezing my balls off every winter, so I'm skipping this one and headin to Mexico. I'm 22yrs old and my climbing has never really left the Canadian Rockies, so I feel its about time to explore. Thing is I've never traveled like this before. Ive hardly even left the country besides a few short visits to the states. I plan on spending the next 8 months traveling thoughout Mexico, Central America, and into South America. I'm leaving January 10th, 2005 via plane. I've done some research, the main thing I keep stumbling across is Potrero Chico, place looks cool, but I know there has to be more than that. Im landing in Acapulco first, then heading into Escondido, Oaxaca. Ive discovered a spot there too. But please! If you can lend a few helpful tips as to where I could go, please do! Any travel tips at all would be much apreciated! Thanks so much!

Quigley

james_climber

Dec 21, 2004, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Mexico for Winter. Please lend some tips ! ! ! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dude travel is the best you can do , if you come to mexico , you should visit potrero chico(60meter rope) and stay there a few days of weeks , then depends of the time that u want to spend in mexico and how much u want to travel in here , if u are around mexico city or Estado de Mexico email me.

quigley

Dec 21, 2004, 3:56 AM
Post #3 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks man...so yeah I've heard quite a bit of El Potrero Chico. Sounds and looks like a sweet place. Ill go there for sure, but that wont be till later in my trip. Really hoping to discover other spots besides there that I could visit before hand. I know Ill be in those areas so Ill email you for sure. Thanks man!

Quigley

quigley

Dec 21, 2004, 8:17 PM
Post #4 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also...If anyone knows, Is it worth dragging down new gear that I purchase here in Canada, or can that wait till I get down there? Are there any gear distributers down there??? One would think there must be eh? I feel so niave asking that but I really dont know.

Quigley

rmsusa

Dec 21, 2004, 8:28 PM
Post #5 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Potrero is probably the best climbing in Mexico.

Check out: http://www.xpmexico.com/

Since you're going to Acapulco first, head to Guadalajara and visit:
Vertimanía
Avenida de la Paz 2308
Tel: 3616-5371
No, they don't speak English.
Yes, they know every climbing spot in Mexico.
Gear costs more in Mexico than in the US - we're mexican distributors.

Have fun.

hazael

Dec 21, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #6 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My tip is to contact me when you decide to stop near Potrero, I can show you Potrero Chico, El Salto and La Huasteca really nice places, and complete different climbing styles in each of em.

quigley

Dec 21, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #7 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thats wicked guys, thanks for the info. Ill definatley get ahold you Hazael when Im around Potrero, you can count on it man. That'll be fun for sure. Also, thanks Rmsusa, I'll be sure to check out Vertimania and that site you gave.

Thanks

Quigley

juanjo

Dec 21, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #8 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other thing I recomend you quigley is that if you are planning to go to South America is that you change your plane ticket to Monterrey since we are only 2 hours away from the us border and is a long 25 hours drive to Puerto Escondido from here. You have to visit Monterrey you gonna love it, since we have La Huasteca taht is only a 15 minute drive from my home, Potrero(45 mins) and El Salto(75 mins with very nice overhanging routes!). If you have any question don´t hesitate to PM me or email me.
If you need anything while you are here feel free to call me to my cellphone(It is in my profile).

Well see you soon and have a nice trip!

pepsbandit

Dec 21, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #9 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like your going on one kick ass adventure! God speed

quigley

Dec 22, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #10 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahaha...well I think its too late for me to change my flight now, but I'll be able to get up to Potrero Chico at some point. Its on the hit list. PLus Im really looking forward to South America, climbing the Andes through out Peru and Chile have been a life long dream for me. On another note, has anyone ever had any troubles bringing a camping stove on a plane. I'll get it checked underneath of course, but whats the dealio with that?

Quigley

hazael

Dec 22, 2004, 7:16 AM
Post #11 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never been there my friend, I cannot help you with that. Luck with the stove.

josephine

Dec 22, 2004, 7:29 AM
Post #12 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

josephine moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

josephine moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

mtnfreak

Dec 22, 2004, 7:31 AM
Post #13 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find the best way to travel and climb is to just go to the first place that comes to mind. hang and climb for a few weeks, get acclimatised to the travel culture, and you will soon find others to help you on your journey. I'm sure other people will leave from Potrero to one of the other spots around Mexico, and soon you will find yourself in Patagonia, wondering why the trip was so easy.... good luck!

quigley

Dec 22, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CLimbing Patagonia....mmmmmmmmmmm.........= ) Wouldnt that be something else eh. Thanks so much everyone! I think thats basically the info I was looking for. Just needed a bit of encouragement ya know. Its alittle frightning doing something like this alone. Helps to hear from others that have been there and done that.

Thanks again so much!

Quigley

icekubes7

Jan 1, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, El potrero Chico is amazing. You could easily spend weeks or even months there. Mexico is an amazing country and has lots of good climbing. If you're ever around the Mexico City area, there are some sweet crags. If you're into trad, definitely check out Canada de la Conception near Aculco, many, many clean solid basalt splitters in a very beautiful canyon. For good Mexico climbing info, check out www.xpmexico.com.
If you head through Guatemala, there's a few crags, but a place called Quetzaltenango (Xela) is definitely the best. THere's one or two good cracks, but it's mostly really fun sport climbs on some cool volcanic rock. It's an amazing place, because it's the local Mayan evangelical praying grounds, so the whole time there's like 30 people all around the area singing and chanting and even weeping and wailing!! It's one of the most surreal sounds I've ever heard. Definitely worth a visit. Check out a site www.wildguatemala.com for some more info and some pictures, and get a hold of them if you need a partner or whatever down there. Guatemala is an amazing country. Have fun!!!!!

icekubes7

Jan 1, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #16 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, definitely bring your gear. Some of the big cities down south have gear stores, but it is much more expensive to buy gear down here, so it's probably best to bring whatever you need, cheaper and less hassle. Also, I haven't been, but I've heard good things about a place called Haurez, Peru, I guess there's tons of climbing of all types. I think next winter I'm going to Brazil, because I've been researching and talking to friends about there, and I guess there's tons of really great climbing there too, especially around Rio. I have been to Bolivia, I went years ago before I started climbing, but it is such a spectacular place!! Dude, you're gonna have an amazing trip. That's sweet that you're doing that. Have fun and buena suerte!!!

quigley

Jan 4, 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #17 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats deadly man! Thanks so much for your encouragment. The only thing that freaks me out abit about bring all my gear is lugging it around in places I wont need it, and the potential of getting robed or something crazy like that. Is it stupid for me to think like that? Should I really not worry as long as I keep my whits about me or what?

Quigley

risos

Jan 4, 2005, 1:15 AM
Post #18 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is tons of climbing here! I really envy the kind of trip you will have!. There is a mexican page you might want to check its www.xpmexico.com I can tell you that in central mexico there is tons of climbing, mainly sports climbing although there is some good trad aswell, only around mexico city I can think of 15 different places that are less than 30 minutes from the city or even inside the city. You also want to try the national park called el chico in Pachuca, hidalgo , Zimapan in Queretaro (some bolted routes and also deep water soloing), peña de Bernal, also in queretaro (its about 5 or 6 pitches of bolted routes)... and many more, if you want some more places you can go to that page, (I think its the closest thing there is to a guide book here) or send me an email macattack88@hotmail.com

just remember that 80% of mexico's population is very poor so always make sure you are discrete, sensible and polite. you cant go flashing tons of shiny pieces of metal around, you dont want to tempt anyone. (at least this is the philosophy I use and its been more than 10 years of nonstop climbing without a single incident.

good luck

icekubes7

Jan 4, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #19 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lugging gear around does suck when you're not using it. It just depends on how much of the trip you're going to commit to climbing. You'd be totally bummed if you came to some of the epic spots down south and didn't have gear to climb any of it. It's definitely worth it if you're climbing a bunch. I brought my trad rack and rope and everything with me on my year long central america trip last year and it was definitely worth it. But, if you're not going to be climbing that much, it might not be worth it. I say no matter what though, you should at least bring your shoes, harness, and maybe quickdraws and a rope. Trad gear is what gets to be real pain. As far as getting robbed, don't worry about it. Like Risos said, lots of people are very poor down here, so just be low key about it and try not to show it off or anything. I didn't have anything bad happen to me last year. You hear stories about people being robbed, but most of my friends who were, were in obviously bad places at obvioulsy bad times (one friend of mine had a knife to his throat at an ATM in the middle of Guatemala City, very sketchy city, in the middle of the night. Bad place to be.) Don't leave things unattended ever, no matter how far out in the woods you are! Because some people are so poor, they might see an opportunity to steal and make some money and take it. I was at a climbing spot in Guatemala, and was at the top of the cliff that was way out in the jungle, and some guy came out of nowhere and tried to run off with my pakc full of gear. I had to chase him down and tackle him, it was pretty crazy. I could tell that this wasn't a criminal, he was just a desperate person. In other words, just use common sense, and you'll be fine. Just have fun!!!! :D

quigley

Jan 5, 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #20 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woah man! Hehehehe....that does sound like a pretty crazy situation. But at the same time your post was really reasuring. I'll just keep my whits about me at all times. Sounds like thats the key thing to staying safe.

SIX MORE DAYS !!!!! And Ill be outa this cold! I'll probably learn to apreciate it when I leave though hahaha. Anyhoo, thanks again everyone for your advise and encouragement, and wish me luck eh!!!

Quigley

grandledge

Mar 5, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #21 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you know about climbing in Durango, Dgo., Mexico?

grandledge

Mar 5, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #22 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there climbing in Durango, Dgo., Mexico?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook