Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

alpnclmbr1

Dec 22, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #76 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Re: Does using a rope make you safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Healyje,

Thanks for that great post. Tightroping was the perfect means to highlight some of these concepts.

(Have you ever read the intro to Vertigo Games by Glenn Randall? There is a great little exerpt about tightrope walking in the 1800's)

dingus

Dec 22, 2004, 4:50 PM
Post #77 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The heart of it all boils down to the fact that in climbing we are working to develop ourselves on multiple fronts: movement (technique), problem solving, protection, and mental/emotional discipline/endurance and in this discussion we are placing an emphasis on exploring the latter.

Show me one accomplished free soloist alive today that achieved their level of proficiency without the use of a rope and I will grant you your point. But you are not going to find one. You don't spring forth from the womb and start 3rd classing 5.12. You don't start 3rd classing 5.12 without one helluva lota rope work. So using a free soloist as an example of the relative safety of ropeless climbing to make the point that using a rope doesn't make climbing safer is a magician's card trick... make the rope disappear. Because that free soloist relied heavily upon the disappearing rope to make that amazing feat even possible.

In reply to:
If anything, I'd say the exact opposite has been happening; that (again on a percentage basis) the total climbing demographic is moving farther and farther away from recognizing and accepting the requisite level of personal responsibility and discipline necessary to embrace and manage the risks associated with free soloing.

In this arbitrary thing we call rock climbing the only inherent values are those we assign. These safety attributes you and alpnclimr1 harp on are only of value to the person doing the climbing.

In absolute terms? If I am staring up at a flaring granite crack and down at my feet are two racks of gear, one consisting of modern cams and biners, the other some hexes, nuts and ovals (in good repair mind you) unless I'm making some retro-point (which I'm not) I will reach for the cams. So will most experienced climbers, cept Hot Henry Barber and a few other holdouts. Most of us will choose to make climbing safer.

In reply to:
In short, we now have a vast commercialized base of people who love the idea and identity images put forth of by climbing and a much smaller percentage who emerge out of that base that are willing and prepared to truly embrace it.

So? You say this as a lament. Why must the masses conform to YOUR ideal, instead of their own? If your free solos are appropriate, simply because you deem them appropriate, then the risk averse choosing to top rope some pedestrian 5.9 is equally appropriate. There really is no need to take the discussion beyond that.

If you old guys would learn to stop telling people how bad they suck and how far they've fallen from the glorious days of yesteryear, and perhaps start selling the virtues of your ways in positive language focused on modern objectives, you might gain a few more ears and a bit more respect for your views. But regardless, time rolls on, with or without you.

DMT

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 22, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #78 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find it somewhat annoying and a little disheartening to constantly read posts from 'old school' climbers who like to divide the climbing community into 'us' and 'them' based some idealized view of what a 'real' climber should be.

adnix

Dec 22, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #79 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The simple fact of the matter is using safety equipment makes the activity safer, just like using seatbelts makes driving safer (regardless of whether the driver is reckless or not).
This is true only if there is no correlation between the rate of reckelessness and using safety equipment. For example some people skip powder skiing if they don't have a beacon. But beacon gives you only partial chance of surviving if you get buried. If we had the number of pitches climbed in each activity it would be simple calculus to determine which activity is most dangerous. But we don't have the data so let's just stick to stating figures.

In 2003 there were reported 73 accidents involving falling on rock or ice in the US and Canada. Of these accidents 14 were contributed by climbing unroped, 23 by inadequate protection and 18 by nut/chock pulling out.

Falling ice or rock was immediate cause of 16 accidents. In all 8 accidents were contributed by not wearing a hard hat. It could be translated as helmet has less than 50% chance of saving you if you get hit by a falling object. Figures between 1952-92 state the same so current helmet boom hasn't affected the issue.

100 accidents took place while going up and 45 while descending. Rappeling failures or errors caused 14 accidents.

None of the accidents was caused by equipment failure. None by fixed piton or ice screw pulling out. It is pretty evident that all accidents were pilot errors. There's nothing that beats good judgement.

Source: Accidents in North American Mountaineering 2004: Issue 57

adnix

Dec 22, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #80 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I find it somewhat annoying and a little disheartening to constantly read posts from 'old school' climbers who like to divide the climbing community into 'us' and 'them' based some idealized view of what a 'real' climber should be.
Wake up to reality and get used to it. Back in the good ol' days there was a pecking order by the camping fire and a lot of other weird habits. It's a shame most of it is gone... some people could use a little more character and ethics.

healyje

Dec 22, 2004, 5:46 PM
Post #81 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus,

Whoa, hold your your horses hoss...

In reply to:
In reply to:
The heart of it all boils down to the fact that in climbing we are working to develop ourselves on multiple fronts: movement (technique), problem solving, protection, and mental/emotional discipline/endurance and in this discussion we are placing an emphasis on exploring the latter.

Show me one accomplished free soloist alive today that achieved their level of proficiency without the use of a rope and I will grant you your point. But you are not going to find one. You don't spring forth from the womb and start 3rd classing 5.12. You don't start 3rd classing 5.12 without one helluva lota rope work. So using a free soloist as an example of the relative safety of ropeless climbing to make the point that using a rope doesn't make climbing safer is a magician's card trick... make the rope disappear. Because that free soloist relied heavily upon the disappearing rope to make that amazing feat even possible.

I simply provided an analysis that isolates the essential elements of the discussion - at no point, anywhere in my post did I even suggest that I encourage, condone, favor, or otherwise consider free soloing (or safety-less highlining) is a good idea; that it is in anyway a "superior" activity to roped climbing; that it is "safer"; or that I think it is generally a good idea. I simply presented a brief exploration into what it's really all about. I am actually pretty damn neutral on the whole business and while I have done a few great free solos, all were spontaneous, inspired, and driven by a pre-cog-like vision of certainty that I can't explain. The very idea of a pre-meditated or arranged-for-others-to-view free solo seems the very opposite of everything I enjoyed about mine. And I certainly don't in any way encourage anyone to free solo or ascribe to any view that believe this should be a valid "objective" in climbing.

In reply to:
In reply to:
If anything, I'd say the exact opposite has been happening; that (again on a percentage basis) the total climbing demographic is moving farther and farther away from recognizing and accepting the requisite level of personal responsibility and discipline necessary to embrace and manage the risks associated with free soloing.

In this arbitrary thing we call rock climbing the only inherent values are those we assign. These safety attributes you and alpnclimr1 harp on are only of value to the person doing the climbing.

In absolute terms? If I am staring up at a flaring granite crack and down at my feet are two racks of gear, one consisting of modern cams and biners, the other some hexes, nuts and ovals (in good repair mind you) unless I'm making some retro-point (which I'm not) I will reach for the cams. So will most experienced climbers, cept Hot Henry Barber and a few other holdouts. Most of us will choose to make climbing safer.

I am not in any way assigning any "safety attributes" to free soloing. Life is balance and there is no free lunch - anything gained in the way of focus in a free solo is offset by the increased risk. That said, and to the point of the original discussion - safety - is about the context climbing takes place in. That context is comprised of many interacting elements unique to each individual ascent and it is very hard to make blanket statements about what it is safe in the abstract divorced from a particular ascent.

Dean Potter can likely free solo a familiar multi-pitch 5.11a R in the valley safer than I can climb with a rope on an unfamiliar route of the same rating in a climbing area and rock new to me. For me, what is "safe" is all about the ratio of risk to risk context - taking a "big" risk in a well known and highly controlled risk context may be far safer than taking a "small" risk in a totally uncontrolled and unfamiliar risk context.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In short, we now have a vast commercialized base of people who love the idea and identity images put forth of by climbing and a much smaller percentage who emerge out of that base that are willing and prepared to truly embrace it.

So? You say this as a lament. Why must the masses conform to YOUR ideal, instead of their own? If your free solos are appropriate, simply because you deem them appropriate, then the risk averse choosing to top rope some pedestrian 5.9 is equally appropriate. There really is no need to take the discussion beyond that.

If you old guys would learn to stop telling people how bad they suck and how far they've fallen from the glorious days of yesteryear, and perhaps start selling the virtues of your ways in positive language focused on modern objectives, you might gain a few more ears and a bit more respect for your views. But regardless, time rolls on, with or without you.

DMT

Again, at no point in my post did I ever state a judgement that free soloing is in any way appropriate. In fact, I have my doubts about the emotional drivers around many quite remarkable [pre-meditated] free solos. My lament is that the masses are climbing at all - or rather showing up outside to replicate their gym experience outside. That they impact the rock to recreate their risk-free, gym clipping experience does trouble me greatly. And, last the access problems that follow them also bother me. It isn't a matter of sucking - it's the fact they are grid bolting like mad and that the whole affair has declined to the point where there even is such a thing as sucky as "modern objectives".

Again, if they weren't indelibly altering the rock it wouldn't be an issue for me. Time is marching on as is the bolt count and the number of closures. In this respect I envy surfers - even though beaches are overrun by the masses with boards - you can't bolt waves and riding Pipeline or a Jaws yesterday, today, or tomorrow will always require that you come up with the same amount of skill and courage.

benpullin

Dec 22, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #82 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Using safety equipment renders climbing safer. Not using safety equipment makes climbing less safe.

Now you can conjur up all the semi-solos you want. You can cite faulty use of equipment all you wish, it doesn't change anything. The simple fact of the matter is using safety equipment makes the activity safer, just like using seatbelts makes driving safer (regardless of whether the driver is reckless or not).

DUH!

Thank you, Dingus.

As you said, it seems people got so caught up in the romantic idea of climbing and free soloing that they lost sight of reality.

Sh*t happens.

When it does, do you want a rope or not?

healyje

Dec 22, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #83 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If "them" would quit spinelessly grid bolting the rocks there wouldn't be a "them".

chrisparedes

Dec 22, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #84 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand your post, but that's because I don't think it makes any sense.

healyje

Dec 22, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #85 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Healyje,

Thanks for that great post. Tightroping was the perfect means to highlight some of these concepts.)

You're welcome;

In reply to:
(Have you ever read the intro to Vertigo Games by Glenn Randall? There is a great little exerpt about tightrope walking in the 1800's)

No, I'll have to take a look...

dirtineye

Dec 22, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #86 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well gee, another controversial subject.

I'm glad I didn't see this post earlier, cause now I can just say that I'm with Dingus and Rgold-- what they said.

I'll only add that I starrted out climbing boulders, and then highhballs, before I ever did a lead climb, and that really helped me, so I'm not totally lacking in understanding of what alpnclmbr1 is trying to say, I just think he went a bit over board.

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 22, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #87 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Wake up to reality and get used to it. Back in the good ol' days there was a pecking order by the camping fire and a lot of other weird habits. It's a shame most of it is gone... some people could use a little more character and ethics.

LOL - thanks for proving my point. Perhaps you consider yourself to be one of the chosen few who is fit to judge the character and ethics of your fellow climbers - bully for you. But the 'reality' is that the climbing scene is changing and it seems that some people have a problem with that.

adnix

Dec 22, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #88 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
LOL - thanks for proving my point. Perhaps you consider yourself to be one of the chosen few who is fit to judge the character and ethics of your fellow climbers
My fellow climbers have same ethics as I do. Alpine climbing and long rock routes are still pretty much the way they used to be.

Perhaps you consider yourself to be one of the chosen few who is fit to judge the character and ethics of "the old school" - bully for you.

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 22, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #89 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My fellow climbers have same ethics as I do.

So you climb with people who share the same ethics as you. So do most climbers I imagine. What does that prove?

In reply to:
Perhaps you consider yourself to be one of the chosen few who is fit to judge the character and ethics of "the old school" - bully for you.

Nope, I like the old farts just fine. But I feel like it's OK to disagree with 'them' when they start to make grand pronouncements regarding the state of the current climbing scene.

toejam

Dec 22, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #90 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For some reason, reading this thread I had a vision of Yoda saying "Safe climber mmmmm? Ropes not make one safe!". Some good points, albeit rather obvious on both sides.

All other things being equal, does a rope afford more safety? As Dingus so eloquently said: "DUH!". Of course, most of us use safety equipment to allow ourselves to "push the envelope" , to do things we wouldn't attempt without protection. The end result is that, even for a timid safety freak such as myself, I'm probably roughly equally safe whether climbing roped or soloing, because of how this affects my choice of activity. I'm working on a 100% safety record, not really interested in danger, it doesn't motivate me. Hell, if anything takes me out it will probably be the walk-off.

dingus

Dec 22, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #91 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is true only if there is no correlation between the rate of reckelessness and using safety equipment.

A reckless driver wearing a seatbelt is "safer" than a reckless driver NOT wearing a seatbelt, all other things being equal.

DMT

adnix

Dec 22, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #92 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A reckless driver wearing a seatbelt is "safer" than a reckless driver NOT wearing a seatbelt, all other things being equal.
Yep, we do agree on that.

But some people take more risks when they wear seatbelt. The case of black ice is interesting for example. I got some friends who pull on a seatbelt and keep the same speed if it get's icy. There would be a more logical solution if you consider accidents having larger impact than only self.

Some people say they feel much safer after placing a marginal runner on X-route, although they know it will never hold. Without rope they might opt for staying on the ground. This is what I meant with correlation.

dingus

Dec 22, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #93 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some people say they feel much safer after placing a marginal runner on X-route, although they know it will never hold. Without rope they might opt for staying on the ground. This is what I meant with correlation.

I think your beacon example was the best of all. Beacons present a powerful temptation to be MORE reckless. Point taken, thanks.

DMT

dingus

Dec 22, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #94 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dean Potter can likely free solo a familiar multi-pitch 5.11a R in the valley safer than I can climb with a rope on an unfamiliar route of the same rating in a climbing area and rock new to me.

What Dean Potter does or does not do has no bearing on your relative safety (unless he falls on you). You cannot compare his relative safety to your own.

Potter would be safer using a rope on that wired 11a and we both know it too. You would be far less safe on that unfamiliar 11 a without a rope than with.

If a guy stupidly runs it out using a rope once in a hundred pitches... does that one transgression render his use of the rope unsafe? Of course not.

Cheers
DMT

adnix

Dec 22, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #95 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I consider helmets having same sort of effect as beacons with my current knowledge. The statistics would support such statement since percentage of falling object accidents (10% of all accidents) has stayed pretty much same during the years.

If helmets were making things safer, it would be logical this percentage would drop with the increased use of helmets. And the percentage of accidents that could have been avoided by wearing a helmet (40% of the falling object accidents) should drop, too. It really seems helmet use doensn't make things safer in general since people take more risks with it.

Same might apply to using rope. I just ordered the accident book from '85. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting in the descriptions once I'll get it.

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 22, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #96 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adnix - just curious - where are you getting those numbers from? It seems like similar statistics were quoted in another thread recently, except that it was the absolute number of falling object accidents, not the percentage, that stayed the same. I also seem to remember that the total number of accidents had actually decreased from 1986 to 2003 (which was something of a surprise to me).

Partner cracklover

Dec 22, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #97 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
bump???

I missed this the first time around, so thanks for the bump. I think that as the season shifts away from rock for many of us, our thoughts turn to our accomplishments and failures over the past season, and from there onto the Big Questions of rock climbing.

Anyway, I don't have much to add, except to say that I appreciate reading the thread - lots of good stuff in there, and lots of interesting parallels to other threads of the moment (tis the season).

I do want to call attention to the parallels between this thread and one other that may be missed. The noob who took an 80 Footer at Lumpy thread

I hate to make an example of someone who's been hurt, but his story provides an ample foil for Alpine's argument.

GO

healyje

Dec 22, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #98 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Dean Potter can likely free solo a familiar multi-pitch 5.11a R in the valley safer than I can climb with a rope on an unfamiliar route of the same rating in a climbing area and rock new to me.

What Dean Potter does or does not do has no bearing on your relative safety (unless he falls on you). You cannot compare his relative safety to your own.

Potter would be safer using a rope on that wired 11a and we both know it too. You would be far less safe on that unfamiliar 11 a without a rope than with.

If a guy stupidly runs it out using a rope once in a hundred pitches... does that one transgression render his use of the rope unsafe? Of course not.

Cheers
DMT

Dingus,

I wasn't linking the two in that way, merely illustrating the point that [relative] safety can only be evaluated on a per ascent basis. Hell, Potter and I would both be safer if we simply stayed in c4 and had a beer (I'll buy). The point is that neither a rope nor a free solo make you safe - only the what decisions you make in the overall context of an ascent can do that - regardless of whether you have a rope on or not.

In the context of the original question "Does using a rope make you safe?" - no, it does not in and of itself - what you do with it, and every other aspect involved with the ascent, determines how safe you will be. You and yours here certainly have common sense and logic on your side (and I'm on that side) but about all you can really claim is that you are generally SAFER than you would be without a rope, but you still in fact may not be safe at all even with a rope.

alpnclmbr1

Dec 22, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #99 of 126 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just curious - where are you getting those numbers from? It seems like similar statistics were quoted in another thread recently,....

The numbers that I was speaking of came from here:

Exerpt

also

http://alpineclub-edm.org/accidents/index.asp

http://www.bml.umn.edu/...mbing/ANAM/ANAM.html

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 22, 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #100 of 126 (9428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpnclmbr1 - thanks for the links. I really am surprised by the fact that the number of accidents has actually decreased since 1986 (given the significant increase in the climber population).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook