RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

treebeard

Jan 1, 2005, 8:20 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1529 views)
Shortcut

5.10 sizing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a question for anyone on this site who might know the answer, or who is in the industry/knows someone in the industry who could answer my question.

Ok first my mom bought me a pair of 5.10 anasazi velcros (size 13) for christmas. Upon trying them on I found they were horribly tight, which is weird cause my shoes before were size 13 5.10 spires. So I decided I would have to return them and look for someone else who sells quality velcros shoes in big sizes (hard to find). Since it wasnt looking very promising on finding a pair I decided to just get another pair of spires from REI. Well today I just got back and compared the new spires to the new anasazis (BOTH size 13) and there has to be at least 1/2inch difference (the anasazis being smaller).

My question is why did 5.10 size two different models as size 13 when one is obviusly bigger than the other? I expect this kind of thing from company to company but not in one company between two models.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on big size quality velcro shoes. I've tried to contact evolv but they have yet to contact me back (probably because its the holidays).

Any advice would be well appreciated.

Partner ctardi

Jan 1, 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1529 views)
Shortcut

Re: 5.10 sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know your questoin, but ironicly, the only person i know that has size 13 feet wears size 7 climbing shoes :shock:

chossmonkey

Jan 1, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My guess it that they are designed to fit differently.

If I'm not mistaken the Spires are made as an all around and beginner type shoe where the foot is more or less flat inside the shoe. The Anasazi Velcros are designed for your toes to be curled up in the toe box.

That said, I've had three pairs of the velcros and they all fit a little differently. It seems like the sizing keeps getting smaller. I own several other types of Five Ten shoes and I can say that they don't all fit the same. Partly because they are different styles meant to be fit differently and partly because, who the hell knows. One story I've heard is that Five Ten shoes were made by subcontracting out. The shoe maker quit making them and now they are manufactured someplace else.

I do know there was a time when I could buy one type of Five Ten shoe and go to a different type (Razors, slippers, velcro) without changing size. It's very unfortunate they are no longer that way. Now it's really hard to mail order shoes.

With size 13 feet you may be rather limited in your choices, especially if that is after downsizing too. I have size 12 and for sport I cram into a 9.5 or 10. I'm not really to sure what size my trad shoes are, 11 or 11.5

You do need to remember that all shoes stretch a little, if not a lot depending on the material. Even if the fabric doesn't stretch the stitching will a little. My oldest pair of velcros were so tight when I first bought them, that I could barley climb in them. After breaking them in they are super comfortable. If they are super comfy right out of the box they may be a bit to big.

It really would be nice if someone from Five Ten would actually explain what is going on with their shoes.

redrocker

Jan 2, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with chossmonkey.
The Anasazi Velcros are a more technical, high performance shoe. The Velcros were my first pair of "performance" shoes after my loose and comfy "beginners" shoes. I purposely bought a pair that were as tight as I thought I could stand them, even if they never got any more comfortable, as I intended to use them for sport only. But they did mold and form to my feet (I wouldn't say they stretched) and now I even use them for multi-pitch trad.
I realize this doesn't answer your question about 5-10's sizing, but you don't say whether or not this is your first pair of climbing shoes other than the Spires.
As to other velcro shoes, have you tried the La Sportiva Tora? I have a pair of Toras that I use for gym climbing because of their affordable price in comparison to the Anasazi Velcros. I had to buy them two full sizes smaller than my Anasazis, so if this is true for you as well, it should be much easier to find a pair of the Toras in say an 11 or 12 as opposed to the size 13's.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook