RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

hemp22

Jan 4, 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #1 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Vegas Forecast & Climbing alternatives for this weekend
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I fly into vegas Friday night, and I had hoped to climb on Saturday & Sunday. But, alas, now the weather makes it look like that may be out of the question...

So, how does the weather forecast look? Is there any chance that any of the sunny cliffs will dry out for this weekend? Are there any other nearby areas that would be climbable after the rain?

If not, does anyone have suggested alternatives for spending the weekend in the area - i.e. suggested hikes around red rocks? I was thinking of maybe even driving to Zion since I've never been there...
I'm going to be really bummed if I have to spend my weekend in town.

Any help is appreciated.

vegastradguy

Jan 4, 2005, 5:09 AM
Post #2 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vegas Forecast & Climbing alternatives for this week [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

um, no climbing for you! :lol:

any hike will be a good one, the waterfall hikes in particular should be good. The Icebox falls will be kicking, as will the ones in Willow Springs.

If you like snow, head up to Charleston.

sorry about the weather!

kalcario

Jan 4, 2005, 5:19 AM
Post #3 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hueco is in the 70's and Kentucky is in the 60's right now...Red Rocks is a total pile compared to either of those

thecat

Jan 4, 2005, 5:33 AM
Post #4 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a car, go to JTree. It's the next best thing and you know you want to climb more than hike. Last time I hit RR in the winter we awoke to snow covered cliffs, several hours of scenic driving later we were at JTree climbing in the warm sun. And even if it's cold there there's a lower elevation section called Indian ___ (word omitted due to memory meltdown) which will be warmer.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 4, 2005, 5:37 AM
Post #5 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indian Cove. Elevation 3,000 feet(as opposed to 4,000plus for the rest of JTree).

lazygirl

Jan 4, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be careful about hitting up J-Tree though. If it's raining in Red Rocks it's usally raining in J-Tree. However, you can climb there as soon as the sun comes out (or even in the rain if you're up to it) instead of waiting around four days while the rocks dry like you do here in Vegas.

Any other area around Vegas that is climbable after rain is either covered in snow, most likely flooded, or only established enough for some bouldering (unless you're looking to set up some FA's) and may require 4 wheel drive to get to.

Sorry about the bad luck. PM if you want details about the bouldering areas.

bekkybadass

Jan 4, 2005, 6:27 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I was there over new years weekend and it rained on Friday...but was only cold and windy the other days. 31 @ night!! Brrrrr!!! The sandstone wasn't too soft to get out. Good for sport..no long approches or multipitches..but it was fun...and it's RED ROCKS!!!!

hemp22

Jan 5, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #8 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the help.

How much snow is actually at Mt Charleston? It looks like there's lots of overhanging stuff there, so is there any climbable rock there right now?
I should note that I'm used to climbing at Smith Rock during this time of year, so I don't mind climbing when it's cold out or even while it's snowing - just as long as the rock is dry.

We're also only looking to do single pitch sport routes - to minimize the gear we need to bring.

So, what about St George or Zion - is the weather any better there right now? any possible climbing there this weekend?

Gracias,
hemp

squishclimber

Jan 5, 2005, 4:35 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Charleston on New Year's DAy and it was -10C ....whatever that converts to in F is awfully cold.

Good luck

kalcario

Jan 5, 2005, 4:35 AM
Post #10 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*How much snow is actually at Mt Charleston? It looks like there's lots of overhanging stuff there, so is there any climbable rock there right now?*

The routes that are theoretically steep enough to be dry at Charleston are upside-down, manufactured 13's and 14's in caves, which since you're asking incredibly dumb questions, I'm assuming you're not capable of getting on. The crags are at 8000' and we have 400% of usual precipitation for this time of year. The best advice you will get is to go someplace else. Nobody's gonna tell you what you wanna hear about Vegas. Now please stop.

climbs4fun

Jan 5, 2005, 5:43 AM
Post #11 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kalcario, play nice or you won't play at all. Personal attacks are not welcome here.

pk

Jan 5, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hueco is in the 70's and Kentucky is in the 60's right now...Red Rocks is a total pile compared to either of those

Well since he flies in there soon and already has a plane ticket I assume he's not going to drive 20plus hours to Heuco or buy another plane ticket to kentucky.

Josh is about three hours from vegas if your up for a long day and better stone than the sandstone that is offered in vegas. Charlstone is a bit steep in grades ( If your tough by all means have some fun most routes are high 12's and up, most being 13 and up ).

If you are looking for climbing I would head out to josh and it tends to dry better than the sandstone around vegas. but wake up around 3am for the drive to get a good days worth of climbing out of it.

This comming from a guy who is stranded atm at a hotel in northern texas getting back to vegas.

P.K.

offthecouchclimber

Jan 5, 2005, 5:52 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed in keyhole canyon years ago and it is about 45 minutes from Vegas, and the rock is granite so it won't be weak from the rain. Driving directions are mentioned in Todd Swain's guidebook. It's not very big but there are definetely some good climbs, bouldering, petroglyphs, and a chilling camp scene.

kalcario

Jan 5, 2005, 7:21 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Well since he flies in there soon and already has a plane ticket I assume he's not going to drive 20plus hours to Heuco or buy another plane ticket to kentucky.*

So you're saying he should go someplace he won't be able to climb at? And what good will going to Josh do without a rack?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook