Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

fracture

Jan 6, 2005, 5:47 AM
Post #26 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Re: how far can technique get you [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Spray alert: if specific numbers offend you for some reason, ..... uhh .... go away or something. :lol:

In reply to:
Someone posted earlier that slab climbing requires relatively little technique--and, I can tell immediately from that statement that the person who posted this comment can not climb hard slab routes.

Depends what you call "hard slab". Talkin' just granite here (my other statement was that limestone slabs are grade-for-grade more technical than granite): I've flashed 5.11 slab and it honestly did not feel like I did any moves that were "harder" in any significant technical way than many of the much easier slabs I've climbed (although it is certainly harder)---it was the same type of movement, and the shoes really did the climbing---it was just a matter of trusting my feet on more improbable seeming holds. Granted, 5.11 is not particularly hard, but 'round here the hardest (granite, still) slabs we have are 5.12a/b. I'm positive I could at least toprope one of the (only two or three, I think) 5.12a slabs in our area, though I have not tried. Perhaps I should go do one of them for the purposes of this discussion, eh? 8^).

Ah, now that I think of it, I have done one 12a that was a bit less than vertical. Whether you'd call it a "slab" or a "face" depends on your definitions (as an aside, what is your definition of "slab"?). Either way, it was definitely less technical than any overhung 12a I have ever climbed. If it helps our discussion: at the time I climbed it (a while ago), 12a was a very difficult grade for me (my hardest redpoint was 12b), and generally required as many as a dozen tries on overhangs---but I did this less-than-vertical one in 2 tries.

To clarify, my statement was not that it requires "little" technique---but that, at least in my experience, a grade-for-grade comparison reveals that the depth and complexity of movement on overhangs (or even vertical routes) is far greater. On overhangs, you must climb with your whole body and use momentum to your advantage, even at 5.11, and certainly at 12a. The (granite) slabs I've climbed are not like that to the same degree, at a given grade.

In reply to:
Hard, thin routes are extremely technical.

All hard routes are extremely technical. A comparison of which, grade-for-grade, are more technical, is what I'm talking about. "Thin" does not imply "slab", to me....

I know you've climbed harder slabs than me, Curt. But if you compare grade-for-grade against overhangs, perhaps you'll agree with me. Slabs are mental climbing more than anything else. If you disagree even in the range of slab difficulty that I can speak to, then I doubt the reason has anything to do with how hard of slab I've climbed (though it could be how much slab I've climbed). OTOH, if you agree with me regarding said range of difficulty, but maintain your position regarding "hard slab" (whatever that is), I'll defer to your greater experience.

In reply to:
That is why Hall of Mirrors sees remarkably few repeat ascents.

Since it's only 5.12c, I'd imagine there are other factors (I don't know much about it; so you'll have to tell me). Part of it may be that it is 16 pitches of 5.11 and 5.12; but more of it may be that climbing slabs is less persued by hard climbers (perhaps because it is less interesting, due to less complex movement technique), so few of the climbers who would be up to repeating it have actually attempted to do so. Of course it'll see few repeats if it sees few attempts....

Either way one thing is certain: 5.12c slab is still not very "hard" compared to the modern elite levels of free climbing, even if you only look at slab: there is a 5.14a slab in Britain, and a V15 (!!) slab in Japan.

dynoguy

Jan 6, 2005, 7:18 AM
Post #27 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think height can get you pretty far :lol:

healyje

Jan 6, 2005, 9:09 AM
Post #28 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sure power is good for the climbing along the roof of a cave crowd, but I know some of those guys pretty well, and one in particular will tell you flat out, it's the feet.

There's technique to working on overhangs, try climbing one if you can't keep your feet on.

There are guys who are really strong who can't climb 15 feet of overhang on jugs, because they can't figure out how to keep their feet on and then use em.

But it is definately true that if you don't have power as well, you will not be climbing along the roof of a cave any time soon.

I come from a [sandstone] roofing and overhang background and would agree you won't get far without fairly advanced techniques in heel/toe hooking, arm/leg bars, and the ability to see, establish, utilize, and exit from complex rests. On some roofs and hangs the rests are as critical as the moves and if you can't get the rests you are unlikely to get the climb. In general I would say between the two overhangs take technique and endurance where roofs require technique and strength. Put a roof at the end of an overhang and all three better be humming like clockwork.

And I think some of this brings up the concept of "native" technique where your learning background comes into play as well. Limestone climbers aren't always good at cracks, crack climbers don't always like face climbing, polished quartz climbers can be lousy at friction, slab climbers can be bad at overhangs, etc. One area's 5.9 is another area's 5.11. I've been to some areas where the their hard rated roof problems were totally simple, but we had a hell of a time doing the face climbing up to them as it was less familiar to us. It pays to travel and experience other rock, it's good humility training if nothing else.

I also lived in S. NH for several years back in the mid 80's, occasionally got up to Cathedral/Whitehorse, and remember being shown some [granite] .12 slab problems by some locals. We just kept walking up the slab to get up to the start of them and at one point when it started to get pretty high angle they all stopped and said "they start here". I look around at the rock which to my eyes is uniformly flat like a roller pin rolled it out and I ask "whaddaya mean it starts here? Why here and not over here, or over there? What's the difference between any spot here or another?". Boy, did I ever get an education that day.

tyson16v

Jan 6, 2005, 9:26 AM
Post #29 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

technique by far is more important when it comes to climbing well. but obviosly there are tons of factors. i feel like in bouldering power and strength will help you send more than your technique. how many kids in the gym do you see that have the worst footwork ever and can still climb v10? but on ropes i truly believe it is a different story. i was in ceuse this summer for just under a month. i saw the defenition of truly good strong route climbers. their technique was the best i have ever seen. kids and women and old guys were all climbing 8a and harder. not because they had power, but because they had amazing technique and good endurance. in all seriousness they all werent very powerful at all. at night at the campgrounds "woody", we sessioned with them and they couldnt boulder that hard, but their technique was sick.
i teach alot of classes and groups at the gym. and when i have newer people coming to me with the question how do i climb harder grades? i do a lesson with them and its always their technique that is suffering, after about an hour of technique tips, they are usually climbing much more fluidly and efficiently, and in turn much harder (a grade or two). but of course everyone is different. if you wanna strap a bunch of weight to a harness and do pull ups just to break through the 5.10a barrier, go for it. it will work. hope this helps.

Partner gunksgoer

Jan 6, 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #30 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dunno ppl, i think that having technique and just average strength can get you really far. a few years ago this young girl (like 9 maybe?) redpointed 13a sport, and she could only crank 2 pullups.

jt512

Jan 6, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #31 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All hard routes are extremely technical. A comparison of which, grade-for-grade, are more technical, is what I'm talking about.

I'm going to disagree with your contention that slabs are less technical than overhanging routes, grade for grade, on strictly theoretical grounds. Assume a particular slab and a particular steep route are each accurately rated (whatever that means) at, say, 5.12b. Since they are equally difficult, and the steep route requires the greater strength, then the slab must be the more technical. If if weren't, it could not also be 5.12b.

I suspect that your experience with slabs seeming to be easier, grade for grade, is due to biased grading, per rgold's post.

-Jay

lokionnitrox

Jan 6, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #32 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

excuse me if I'm repeating anybody. Technique Comes with experience. Being able to harness ones power takes technique, and you can't really understand your power without experience.

I'm also finding that as I'm becoming more experienced and my technique has improved, that I rely on my power less and less; to the point that there are times that I cannot make moves that I could have once thrown myself up, but am smart enough to work the move the concenssis way now as opposed to dynoing past it.

skateman

Jan 6, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #33 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Strength VS. technique? Why can't we all just get along! I personally wouldn't mind a lot more of both. At the same time, I wish I could jetison this spare tire that always comes along for the ride.

S

fitz

Jan 6, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #34 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Strength VS. technique? Why can't we all just get along! I personally wouldn't mind a lot more of both. At the same time, I wish I could jetison this spare tire that always comes along for the ride.

S

LOL, I can sympathise with that. My own fitness goes up and down depending on what is going on in life - and the down gets easier and the up a lot harder with each passing year.

Still, technique (or at least experience) can help a lot. Combine it with a little emotion and you can surprise yourself. Quite a few years ago, I was definately at a fitness low. I'd hurt my back and shoulder and pretty much spent 6 months eating and soaking in the hot tub.

I started hiking a bit just to start easing back in to a more active lifestyle. My then pre-teen daughter and I were at Malibu Creek in California having a little hike and picnic - I think she wanted to draw the rock pool for an art project or something. Anyway, we wandered by the Planet of the Apes wall and watched the top roping for a bit.

A young, fairly buff, woman was getting spanked halfway up a route in the middle of the wall. I'm drawing a blank on the route names, but it was probably .11a. As we watched, my daughter asked me if I thought she could climb it (I'd already taken her top roping many times).

Apparently we were speaking loudly enough to be overheard, because the climber in question started venting her frustration at my daughter. A fierce lecture about how difficult climbing really is and how you have to make a total committment to your body. I sat down, took off my shoes and socks, walked over, gestured for the rope, tied in with a bowline on a coil, and breezed up. It actually seemed almost effortless.

I wasn't particularly tired or sore afterwards, so I always chalked it up to complete focus and technique. Something, sadly, I did not recapture a few weeks later when I was lying at the top of Left Ski Track (5.6) at Tahquitz quietly hoping that I might die and save myself the walkoff and hike back to the car.

Then again, it might have been devine retribution. It has to be humbling to have an old, fat guy send a route barefoot that has been kicking your backside...

-jjf

ryan112ryan

Jan 6, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #35 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
5.15b

you came to this number how?

Partner one900johnnyk

Jan 6, 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #36 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's the ahrdest climb that's ever been claimed to have been done, no? he actually beat me to that response...

fracture

Jan 6, 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #37 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
All hard routes are extremely technical. A comparison of which, grade-for-grade, are more technical, is what I'm talking about.

I'm going to disagree with your contention that slabs are less technical than overhanging routes, grade for grade, on strictly theoretical grounds.

Sweet. Now my hijack is getting somewhere. :D

In reply to:
Assume a particular slab and a particular steep route are each accurately rated (whatever that means) at, say, 5.12b. Since they are equally difficult, and the steep route requires the greater strength, then the slab must be the more technical. If if weren't, it could not also be 5.12b.

You're assuming that YDS difficulty is composed of simply strength+technique, with no other factors.

I think slabs are commonly (or at the very least, around here ;)) rated taking into account an aspect of mental "technique". The exceedingly small crystals on the 11 slabs here are not really that much more technically hard to stand or smear on than the crystals on the 8's, it only seems like it mentally (which can cause you to freak out and slip off from loss of balance).

One could argue that this is in fact just an incorrect rating, and how hard something "seems" should not be included in the YDS rating. However, in my view, the 11 slabs are actually harder than the 8's (as evidenced by the fact that fewer people climb them), so why would a harder rating not be logical?

Or another possible tack: perhaps "more technique" is in fact required, but it should be undisputable that the breadth of techniques is much more limited. Climbing slab may require extreme specialization in certain technical areas---perhaps more highly-developed control over your feet and a better sense of your weight distribution than on overhangs (I don't really believe this)---but it requires this in lieu of the large number of full-body climbing techniques you must master to climb well on overhangs; not to mention the requirement on overhangs that you do everything efficiently and without excessive hesitation---on slabs, efficiency is a non-concern, and you can climb as slow as you want.

In reply to:
I suspect that your experience with slabs seeming to be easier, grade for grade, is due to biased grading, per rgold's post.

First thing: I did not say they were "easier"; just less technical. I do think they are "objectively" as difficult (in theory, at least); but the difficulty comes from trusting yourself and mental control more than anything else. (For me, this does make them seem "easier", because I'm probably better at that stuff than a lot of other things (e.g. strength). However, for me, the less complicated techniques required also makes them seem less interesting/challenging).

But, your suggestion is certainly possible. And admittedly the whole of my granite slab experience is from a single crag (Enchanted Rock, in Texas). Perhaps the grades are just soft, making my grade-for-grade comparison inaccurate.

However, I doubt they were graded based on biases as per rgold's point. When the vast majority of these routes were developed the overhung limestone in this area had not been developed, and sport climbing certainly wasn't here yet. There are essentially no real overhang climbs at Enchanted Rock either, aside from a few boulder problems. I find it unlikely that the developers in question really had less technique than strength.

fracture

Jan 6, 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #38 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it's the ahrdest climb that's ever been claimed to have been done, no? he actually beat me to that response...

No. 5.15c has been claimed by Bernabe Fernandez.

scubasnyder

Jan 6, 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #39 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it depends on how strong you are, most likely it will improve your level of climbing drastically

jt512

Jan 7, 2005, 1:46 AM
Post #40 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I'm going to disagree with your contention that slabs are less technical than overhanging routes, grade for grade, on strictly theoretical grounds.

Sweet. Now my hijack is getting somewhere. :D

In reply to:
Assume a particular slab and a particular steep route are each accurately rated (whatever that means) at, say, 5.12b. Since they are equally difficult, and the steep route requires the greater strength, then the slab must be the more technical. If if weren't, it could not also be 5.12b.

You're assuming that YDS difficulty is composed of simply strength+technique, with no other factors.

As far as I am aware, those are the only factors. The mental thing isn't supposed to enter into it -- 5.12G and 5.12X should be equally difficult physically.

In reply to:
Or another possible tack: perhaps "more technique" is in fact required, but it should be undisputable that the breadth of techniques is much more limited

I guess I would agree with that.

In reply to:
...not to mention the requirement on overhangs that you do everything efficiently and without excessive hesitation---on slabs, efficiency is a non-concern, and you can climb as slow as you want.

I disagree with that; and, if anything, would say that you've got it backwards. A fit climber can find rests on overhanging routes. On hard slabs you must keep moving: footholds are tenuous and you often have to move continuously from smear to smear to prevent falling.

In reply to:
However, for me, the less complicated techniques required also makes them seem less interesting/challenging).

Slab technique is more subtle than overhang technique, and there is less margin for error. On a 5.12 overhang, the holds are relatively large, so you can hit them imperfectly with a hand or foot and be able to adjust your hold to keep you on. On slabs the footwork and balance must be far more precise. Some of the best sport climbers here in SoCal got their start on the slabs at J Tree. You've got to see their footwork to believe it (don't quote me, but it transfers to sport climbing).

-Jay

petsfed

Jan 7, 2005, 2:00 AM
Post #41 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Slab technique is more subtle than overhang technique, and there is less margin for error.

You're right. Try a thin slab in double plastic boots and you'll cry. I know I did.

/got spanked by a 2 pitch 5.4 today

fracture

Jan 7, 2005, 2:02 AM
Post #42 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

As far as I am aware, those are the only factors. The mental thing isn't supposed to enter into it -- 5.12G and 5.12X should be equally difficult physically.

I'm not talking about protection when I say "mental"---this applies on toprope as well. I'm talking about holds which seem worse than they actually are, if that makes any sense.... Either the foothold supports your weight or not; the issue (for me) is simply trusting that it will.

To me, the difference between the 5.8 and 5.11 slabs really seems to be just how hard the footholds seem to be. They all were equally "easy" to stand on---all I did was put my foot on the hold and then put my weight on my foot. Maybe this is a bit nebuluous.

Hrm. Ok; I'm less convinced of my position now, but not completely ready to give it up. :lol:

In reply to:
In reply to:
Or another possible tack: perhaps "more technique" is in fact required, but it should be undisputable that the breadth of techniques is much more limited

I guess I would agree with that.

In reply to:
...not to mention the requirement on overhangs that you do everything efficiently and without excessive hesitation---on slabs, efficiency is a non-concern, and you can climb as slow as you want.

I disagree with that; and, if anything, would say that you've got it backwards. A fit climber can find rests on overhanging routes. On hard slabs you must keep moving: footholds are tenuous and you often have to move continuously from smear to smear to prevent falling.

Perhaps (as Curt suggested) I just haven't been on difficult enough slabs. All the ones I've climbed allowed me to go at my own pace---there was no pump to deal with (except perhaps in the calves), and doing one move inefficiently couldn't have caused me to fall 30 feet later. Continuous movement was certainly not required. But, again, I'm only talking about slabs up to 5.11.

Dunno. I probably just need to get on some harder slabs. :D

dirtineye

Jan 7, 2005, 2:09 AM
Post #43 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Slab technique is more subtle than overhang technique, and there is less margin for error. On a 5.12 overhang, the holds are relatively large, so you can hit them imperfectly with a hand or foot and be able to adjust your hold to keep you on. On slabs the footwork and balance must be far more precise. Some of the best sport climbers here in SoCal got their start on the slabs at J Tree. You've got to see their footwork to believe it (don't quote me, but it transfers to sport climbing).

-Jay

I think JT nailed the crux of the matter here. Make one little mistake on a hard slab and down you go.

One other thing, some slab is nearly vertical, some is not. Reading what different people have to say about slabs, it sounds like they are talking about different kinds of slabs altogether.

A vertical (or nearly so) mostly friction slab is a nasty thing. At least on those 12 sport overhangs (I hang dog em) I have something to hold onto. (yes I went sport climbing twice last year, and I feel so ashamed!)

irockclimbtoo

Jan 7, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #44 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

fracture

Jan 7, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #45 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One other thing, some slab is nearly vertical, some is not. Reading what different people have to say about slabs, it sounds like they are talking about different kinds of slabs altogether.

This brings up the important point of what exactly a "slab" is. There seem to be two main senses of the word: requires smearing and has only very small holds, or is low angle. Or maybe it requires both? People have described Bain de Sang (14d) as a slab, even though it's supposed to be slightly overhanging. OTOH, I've had people tell me that very low angle routes aren't slabs because they either have a crack or other major feature, are climbed mostly by edging, or have lots of good hand holds.

What does "slab" mean to you?

(heh. Has this thread been hijacked enough yet? Maybe someone should start a new thread....)

petsfed

Jan 7, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #46 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

This brings up the important point of what exactly a "slab" is. There seem to be two main senses of the word: requires smearing and has only very small holds, or is low angle. Or maybe it requires both? People have described Bain de Sang (14d) as a slab, even though it's supposed to be slightly overhanging. OTOH, I've had people tell me that very low angle routes aren't slabs because they either have a crack or other major feature, are climbed mostly by edging, or have lots of good hand holds.

What does "slab" mean to you?

(heh. Has this thread been hijacked enough yet? Maybe someone should start a new thread....)

Very small, often smeary and slopey holds. Low angle.

Its a special subset of face climbing.

healyje

Jan 7, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #47 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the time I tried to do the .12 slab moves at Whitehorse I had been walking tightrope for a decade pretty religiously and came from an area with slabs (albeit sandstone) where we put up a couple of pretty intense no-hands routes ("Full Moon Foot Dance"); I was still stunned and shut down on those granite slabs while the locals were still motoring away from invisible crystal to invisible crystal. It was one of the more impressive displays of climbing I had seen up to that point and what I really appreciated about it was the fact that it was as much about developing your eye as it was doing the moves...

jt512

Jan 7, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #48 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
why is it that only the first couple of posts are good in a forum?

Here's a hint: your post is the 42nd in this thread (not "forum," BTW).

-Jay

jt512

Jan 7, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #49 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

To me, the difference between the 5.8 and 5.11 slabs really seems to be just how hard the footholds seem to be. They all were equally "easy" to stand on---all I did was put my foot on the hold and then put my weight on my foot. Maybe this is a bit nebuluous.

I suspect that your slab routes are inaccurately rated. Come to J Tree and tell me that 5.11 is easy as 5.8. Harder slabs out here are steeper, have less-positive foot "holds," and are more sequential. You have to be able to see the foot holds (no small task, as healyje says) and read the sequence several moves ahead. Moves are often irreversible, and taking a single step out of sequence can leave you with nothing but a prayer.

-Jay

raingod

Jan 7, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #50 of 71 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

also its not just a matter of trusting your foot work but of positioning your body so your weight sits just right on the hold

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook