Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

abouttopeel

Jan 6, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #1 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Best sport near Phoenix for day trip?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbing partner and I are headed down to Phoenix (Litchfield Park). Where would some of you locals suggest that we go for some good sport climbing in the 5.8-5.10 range? We're probably not looking to drive more than an hour outside of Phoenix.

Thanks!

epic_ed

Jan 6, 2005, 5:04 PM
Post #2 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best sport near Phoenix for day trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude -- I live in Litchfield Park. When will you be in town? We try to climb every weekend so chances are we'll be able to hook you up and toss you a rope.

Ed

abouttopeel

Jan 6, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #3 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Ed, I should have specified though, I'm coming down in February and probably looking to climb on the 3rd and 4th. A Thursday and Friday.

Partner mountaindoc

Jan 6, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's probobly too cold and snowy for Jacks Canyon. Queen Creek probably is the most bang for your buck, but probably closer to an hour and a half drive. There is McDowell mountain or Pinnicle Peak in North Scottsdale, but be prepared for sandbagged ratings and you'll need a rack. Lookout Mountain is in town as well, but there is only 1 or 2 routes in your range. There is also some sport at Camelback, but I haven't personally climbed there. I heard the routes and rock quality aren't that great. Hope that helps.

Partner bill

Jan 6, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #5 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camelback is a choss pile and isn't worth your time. Queen Creek is a little more than an hour from the west side, but is your best bet for sport close to Phoenix. Good winter areas are the pond and the mine area. Upper Devil's is nice as well, but shady in the afternoon.

claramie

Post #6 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Queen Creek Canyon. One hour east of town off of I-60. Around a 1000 routes. Mostly bolted. Tons of climbs up to 13s. Good sub-areas of Queen Creek are Lower Devils (requires 4X Drive), Atlantis (right off the road), and the Pond (opposite Atlantis).

Whoever said Jack's Canyon didn't notice your <1 hour drive stipulation. It takes 2.5 hours to get to jacks from Phx.

Clayton

abouttopeel

Post #7 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Queen Creek looks pretty good from what I can gather from the route database here. We might have to check that out. I was looking at Camel Mt. too. Anyone else have any info on Camel?

claramie

Jan 6, 2005, 5:21 PM
Post #8 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't waste your time. It's loose conglomerate for the most part and it sucks. Head to Queen Creek.

CL

abouttopeel

Jan 6, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #9 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. It looks like we'll probably be headed to Queens!

epic_ed

Jan 6, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #10 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camelback = worthless choss. Don't waste your time. There's one route worth doing (the Monk) and even it isn't all that great. It's only worth it if you have a short time frame to climb one afternoon.

Queen Creek fits the bill for what you're looking for. Sorry -- I won't be able to make it during the week, but have fun while you're here.

Ed

angrychef

Jan 6, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #11 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Queen Creek Canyon- The Pond has a number of sport routes from 5.7 to 5.13b. Date Rape- 9 bolts and Unknown (5.7s) are good warm-ups but no topo. Weak Sisiter- 6 bolts (5.10a) and Behind Bars- 3 bolts (5.10a) are fun. Nearby are great and difficult overhang routes. Go get a copy of Rock Climbing in Arizona by Stewart M. Green (part of the Falcon Guide series) if you don't have a local climber with you. I have a copy and it helped me a lot. Have fun!

punkclimber52

Jan 6, 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #12 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

perhaps these folk don't realize where litchfield park is. Your looking at a good hour and half to two hour drive to get to queen creek. But if that's not too far, go for it. Just don't think it's only an hour away, it's an hour if your on the east side of town. You will be on the far west end of town.

Also depends on what time of day your attempting to make the drive. If your leaving in the morning your gonna get stuck in rush hour traffic on I-10 until you can get to the 60. Even with two of you, the carpool lane still gets backed up. Once you hit the 60 you'll be going opposite of traffic, so you'll be fine then.

Don't think that if you leave early enough you can beat it, because it starts to back up around 5:30am (don't believe me? I drive it multiple times a day for my job). You might want to wait till 8:30am or 9am to head out, but that won't put you at the crag till about 10:30 or 11am. All that being said, it's a great place to climb, just don't think it'll take ya only an hour.

abouttopeel

Jan 6, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #13 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks punk, I was wondering about that, traffic and all. It may be tough to get out to Queen. We'll see. Anywhere closer by or on the west side of Phoenix?

crackmd

Jan 6, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #14 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Pond Wall at Queen Creek has an excellent selection of routes in the grade you are seeking. It is also sunny and warm this time of year. Get ready to do some pocket-pulling.

jw11733

Jan 6, 2005, 5:57 PM
Post #15 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm heading that way myself later in the year. Check out DrTopo.com for the Queens creek topo, which covers the pond and Atlantis

Partner bill

Jan 6, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #16 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks punk, I was wondering about that, traffic and all. It may be tough to get out to Queen. We'll see. Anywhere closer by or on the west side of Phoenix?

Unfortunately, no.

punkclimber52

Jan 6, 2005, 8:37 PM
Post #17 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somebody told me some time back about sport climbing in the white tanks. Those are out west by your side of town. I have no beta, i think i might have even heard that there's no more access or the bolts have been chopped, or something.

Even though everyone's been dogging Camelback, the monk is a classic climb in phoenix. It would probably be easier to get to. It's a pretty easy climb, but is worth it. Everything else at Camelback is just like everyone else said, chossy and not worth mentioning. But the monk has been climbed so much that all the loose stuff has been cleaned off, so it's pretty safe. For fear of flaming, just PM me if you want anymore beta about camelback.

I'd offer my services to go with ya while your here but i'll be in prescott that weekend. sorry.

danpayne

Jan 6, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #18 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, if you want to let a laid back 23 year old (with good beer) tag along, let me know. I enjoy meeting new people.

olejeff

Jan 7, 2005, 3:26 AM
Post #19 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Queen Creek is THE place for sport close to Phx. Hit me up when you get into town. I'd be glad to show you around. I'm in the east valley, just off the 60..and it is only an hour from my place.

curt

Jan 7, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #20 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Unfortunately, no.

Ditto that. Also, White Tanks is currently closed to climbing.

Curt

epic_ed

Jan 7, 2005, 4:41 AM
Post #21 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

White Tanks is closed? I was unaware, but no great loss. We climbed there once and it was so severely less than worth the gas money and hike in we've never been back.

QC is definitely your best bet, despite the extra drive. What are your time constraints? If you have to be back in the Litchfield Park area by a certain time in the evening then just start earlier. If you're just looking to get in as much quality sport climbing as possible while you're here -- don't think twice about the extra 30 minutes. Go.

One other alternative for sport if you're really pressed for something local is Lookout Mountain. Single pitch black basalt climbing. It's in the NE part of the Valley, but much closer than QC. It's nothing that will bring you back for a future visit, but IMO, it's a better option than Camelback.

Ed

curt

Jan 7, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #22 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
White Tanks is closed? I was unaware, but no great loss. We climbed there once and it was so severely less than worth the gas money and hike in we've never been back.

From Eric Filsinger, Land Advocacy Chair for the AMC.....

In reply to:
Please see this from our White Tanks area Representative, Allan Watts, a local attorney/climber.

No action requested from you at this time, but FYI and if you have any thoughts please let me know.

If anyone has information about the climbing death last year in the White Tanks, please forward that to me.

Thanks,
Erik
AMC Land Advocacy Chair

Subj: RE: White Tanks climbing access question 
Date: 1/5/2005 12:53:34 PM US Mountain Standard Time

Erik,

I finally got a hold of my contact with the Maricopa County Parks and Recreation department, trail planner Andrew Fish.  Andrew told me that the administration of the White Tanks Park has taken a stronger position against climbing since a climber died in the waterfall area in October of 2004.  Andrew said that his understanding was that the climber was an experienced climber, and that his death was the result of his rope breaking.  As a result of that accident, the park administration has decided to prohibit climbing.  It is not clear to me how enthusiastically the park will enforce this new policy.

To enforce this local policy, the park may use an official rule prohibiting hiking off of the established trails.   Andrew told me that going off trail was prohibited only for equestrians and bicyclists until a few years ago when the prohibition was extended to hikers.  This change was in response to the need to rescue people who got lost off trail.  Andrew admitted that the prohibition of hiking off trail conflicts with some other rules, including that hunting is allowed, but only more than 1/4 mile from a trail, and that back country camping is allowed, which is not intended to be done on the trails.  Andrew said that the philosophy of the county is to provide tools to the park administration to allow them to cite people where the staff determines that it is appropriate to deter behavior.  But Andrew said that people are usually not cited for hiking off trail if they are doing so in a responsible manner.  He did not think the rule is intended or used to stop people from hiking up the various canyons in the park.  But people who have been rescued have been ticketed.

The White Tanks Park has a website at http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/white_tank/.  The rules are available online at http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/PDF/ParkRules.pdf.  Rule R-118 prohibits "leaving a designated trail or walkway between trailheads", "operating a bicycle, riding a horse, or hiking, except on trails designated for that use", and "failure to follow any sign that dictates the use or behavior on a trail."  Rule R-103 states that violation of any rule is a class 2 misdemeanor.

Andrew also told me that the county currently has no official policy on climbing, but that he thinks it would be a good idea to have one.  He said that currently, whether climbing is allowed may depend on who is the park Supervisor.  He said the county's biggest concern would be liability.  I tried to dispel this concern.  Andrew envisioned a policy that would require climbing permits, require climbers to sign a waiver, and limit climbing to certain areas.  I mentioned that these things are not required in city parks, such as Camelback, or on federal land, such as in the Superstitions.  A climbing policy would probably apply to other areas administered by the county.  I believe the Santans are another such area.

I also talked to Andrew about how to lobby the county for change in the rules or to implement a climbing policy.  The Board of Supervisors would ultimately approve any changes in the rules, but the bureaucrats would be involved no matter where we started.  Thus, it would probably be best to start with the Park Supervisor, Superintendents, and Director.  He gave me names and contact information for these people.

One option would be to proceed to lobby the county to adopt a policy that would allow climbing.  If we did this, we could try to get them to legalize off-trail hiking, bouldering, canyoneering, and the like.  On the other hand, at present, I do not believe that the park administrators are very enthusiastic about stopping people from doing these things, provided we do them responsibly.  We could just keep doing what we are doing, keep a low profile, and take action only if climbers or responsible off-trail hikers are cited for conducting those activities.

I believe that the water fall area in the White Tanks is a special situation.  I have been climbing around the waterfall since I was a child to get to the creek above, and this is a very important area to me.  But the popular route around the water fall puts climbers directly above people below, putting these people at significant risk that they generally do not comprehend.  In addition, many of the climbing routes by the water fall put people below at risk.  There is a lot of loose rock on the upper parts of these routes.  It might not be fair to the people below to climb on these routes, at least not on weekends or holidays when a lot of people are there.  Further, I can appreciate the need to stop people from scrambling around the water fall using this popular route.  Unfortunately, this is the most direct route to Fall Factor Wall, the biggest climbable wall in the White Tanks that I am aware of.  Also unfortunately, the second best route to Fall Factor Wall, the rock knob trail, has been obliterated and blocked off.  Thus, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to facilitate climbing at many crags in the White Tanks.

Further, there is a route on triangle boulder that goes right over a petroglyph.  Clearly not an appropriate place to climb.  Thus, there appears to be a need to regulate climbing, at least to some degree.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this situation further or if you think further action would be appropriate.  Also, do you know anything about the climber that was killed in October, or about any climbers being cited or ordered to stop climbing or to not climb?

thanks,  Allan

Curt

sherpa5

Jan 7, 2005, 5:29 AM
Post #23 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camelback is not that bad. C'mon. Be grateful people. I feel lucky to live in a city which sports a crag that you can ride the f'n city bus to. A little sport, a little bouldering and some trad. It's worth a look. Donamatrix is a fun 2-pitch sport route that is definately worth it. Can anybody else name a city that has a climbing crag smack in the middle of it?

socalbolter

Jan 7, 2005, 5:41 AM
Post #24 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you do choose Queen Creek and want a guide, I'd suggest Marty Karabin's guide over the Falcon guide. Marty actually develops routes in the area and his guide is full of the insider information that only a true local can offer. As a rule I'm always leery of Falcon guides as they are notorious for having bad beta and being written by folks looking to cash in on someone else's investment of time and money.

Maybe that's a bit strong of an opinion, but it's my belief that guidebooks should be written by locals and those investing $$$ and time into providing the routes described in the guide. Sometimes these folks don't have the inclination or ability to produce a guide, but when they do I will always choose their offering over the corporate version.

Just my 2 cents.

sonso45

Jan 8, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #25 of 31 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like camelback; folks have mixed opinions. You do have to climb like a cat, move softly and test everything. I would suggest Donamatrix (2 pitches) to the Monk (1 pitch) would make a good day there. The drive from Litchfield would take a bit less than an hour. A great day would be to do the mountaineer's route on Courthouse Rock, 30 min from Litchfield. It is a trad route, 5.4 or so. It is very ledgey, lot of 4th class and take two ropes. You can climb to the top or not. PM me if you want a partner when you get closer. M

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook