RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

mapleleaftattoo

Jan 16, 2005, 1:43 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

best way to set up a slackline?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have a slack line in the back yard in summer months, but it always takes forever to set up. any tips on how to do it better, faster?

uncleslackline

Jan 16, 2005, 2:41 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Re: best way to set up a slackline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a set of SBI pulleys!!!

osho

Jan 16, 2005, 3:59 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SBI pulleys might be nice... I actually have zero experience with them.. so I have no clue how nice they are or how much they cost. But there are definitely a variety of ways of rigging a slackline. Inorder for me to suggest an easier setup.. I'd need some sort of a discription (inorder to determine the relatively complexity of your setup). The lines I've used are typically not super long nor high... so a relatively simple setup will suffice.

roshiaitareya

Jan 16, 2005, 5:38 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found the best way to set one up is to go to google and search for "setting up a slackline." Personally I take a chunk of static rope, wrap that around the tree (or other tie-off) point, then I tie one end of the line to one side, then I do a sort of loop through method (it's a popular one, if you search google you should be able to find it, if not, email me and I'll take some photo's for you and write you back). This method works well because you can then pull on one end as it loosens and keep it tight, And it's easy to disassemble. I know this post is vague, but it's hard to describe with words how to assemble a slackline, the easiest is to have someone show you.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 16, 2005, 5:45 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the articles section here on the site. :) Here's one that should answer your question:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...les/index.php?id=189

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 16, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coldclimb's article is a great place to start. He covers the more popular pull for tension methods. There are lots of ways of rigging slacklines and it is really up to the slacker to find what suits his or her preferences or needs.

Such as, how long are you planning to shoot for how tight you want it. If your looking for long and tight, then the smaller pull for tension over carabiner methods get far more difficult to accomplish without help.

If your looking for setting up solo on lines that aren't short or very loose you've got to consider the ways that produce more mechanical advantage, such as those methods that use rope, pulleys or ratchets.

Then you've got weight and bulk, if your looking for a line that is super compact and super light to take along backpacking, large pulleys and ratchets are probably not gonna cut it for your needs.

Also, making your own versus buying one premade. Thats one place slackers have it good because it isn't too hard to make their own, but if you buy a premade one you get some very nice extras and it doesn't always cost more than making your own dedicated setup. Each company has pretty different approaches to the lines they make and how they solve the trade offs involved in the systems, some may require more effort, but are more comact, others aren't as compact but require much less exerted effort. Cost of a full kit itself varies anywhere from $25 to $250 across the vendors.

Most notably though, some things premade lines offer such as sewn loops where the line lies perfectly flat or higher mechanical advantage due to more efficent pull for tension setups or systems that are as powerful as 13:1 pull with practically unlimited throw for super easy solo setups really make it worth considering. You also usually get a slackline that is far faster and easier to put up with the pre-made rigs as well. Of course, you lose that "something I made" feeling in the process but the nice additions can be quite positive in the long run.

Premade slackline companies worth checking out for your needs:
Slackline Express (my company)
Not for Climbing
Ethos Climbing
Slackline Brothers
Asana Packworks

Partner coldclimb

Jan 17, 2005, 6:12 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That post covers things pretty darn well. :)

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 17, 2005, 6:17 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, glad to help. You know your always welcome to append that to your article if you want.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook