Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
Too Cold to Climb in New England - but Run??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

brittamac

Jan 18, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Too Cold to Climb in New England - but Run??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I squint at the weather station in the kitchen trying to see if I am reading it correctly. One point four. Degrees. Outside air temperature, not accounting for wind. And it’s a little windy. Flip on the TV while I’m cooking oatmeal to see what the weather lady says. “High of 8 today, with gusty winds making it feel like its 14 below. Better bundle up.”

Oh, F that. In a big way. I am so running on the treadmill today. You big wuss, you hate the treadmill. I know, but its one point four degrees out. One point four! And the treadmill is better than completely wimping out.

Its settled. I’ll drop the kids off at the Y and then get on the damn treadmill. My 5-year old says "It's too cold to go outside today, mama. You need to run on your treadmeal." Treadmeal. That cracks me up. She says it like I say windmill. Windmeal. My girl.

So, we bundle up, actually find all the hats and mittens, and get in the car to the Y. Getting out of the car the air enters your lungs like a knife. But its sunny and clear. Beautiful blue sky. The Italians have a special word for this color – azurra. Light blue like the sea. Its cold, but boy it sure is pretty out.

Walking back to the car I hear the outdoors calling me….come outside….you can bundle up….you’ll be much happier…come play…its not so bad. I find myself making a list of the items of clothing I should get on if I really am serious about running this morning outside. Pull into the garage. That’s it. “I’m running outside”, I say aloud, as I put the truck in park.

Sprint up the stairs into the house and start collecting what I need. Gloves, sheepskin mittens, red fleece cap with the earflaps, bandana. I put on two pairs of running tights, one tucked into a pair of hiking socks. Two wicking shirts, one insulating shirt, heavy sweater. Music, and out the door I go.

Ultra fast walk to warm up. Tears streaming from my eyes freeze right away on my lashes; gotta keep blinking to keep from having my contacts freeze too. Eye’s barely open. Warm breath underneath the bandana is soothing, I get into a rhythm and head down the hill. On the long uphill climb my legs feel like stones and my lungs feel like I’m at altitude. I’m gonna die. I fell like I’m gonna die. This sucks. I could turn around here, at the one third mark, and still get two thirds of my run in. That would be good, because right now I feel like I’m gonna die. Music changes, Madonna. “Die Another Day”. Oh, fine, I get the message, I’ll keep going.

The drivers of the cars that pass me have this amused look on their faces – look at that idiot out running in this weather. But I’m feeling pretty good at this point, lungs have adjusted, really don’t need to see all that much, I could do this route in the pitch black, and the music is distracting.

Turn up my street into the full wind, a miserable but solid finish to an otherwise decent outing. Stand in the laundry room stripping out of the frozen and wet clothes, picking ice from my lashes. Take my coffee with me into the shower – aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Stand under the hottest water I can tolerate for what seems like an eternity.

Life is good. Its gonna be a good day. :D

deleted
Deleted

Jan 18, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2123 views)
Shortcut

import_temporary [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

import_temporary

deleted
Deleted

Jan 18, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

import_temporary

deleted
Deleted

Jan 18, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

import_temporary

rjtrials

Jan 18, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Re: Too Cold to Climb in New England - but Run?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hell Yeah!!!

That was a super motivating story! Thanks for sharing your pain and triumphs britta. Somehow the 28 degrees outside doesnt seem so bad now.

RJ

Partner cracklover

Jan 18, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Short and sweet.

Nice, thanks!

GO

truffalatree

Jan 18, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: i can't speak about today but i can honestly hear you- we got down to negative 27 the other morning! it's unbelievable how physically your body can be screaming at you to get in a sauna/hot tub/hot spring/bath/fireplace and yet your mind shouts louder and drags your butt outside!
right oN!

dorkmaster

Jan 18, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha i ran in a 4.5 mile road race on saturday...i haven't run anywhere since soccer season ended months ago....i'm really sore
i hate running in the cold

deleted
Deleted

Jan 18, 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

import_temporary

brittamac

Jan 18, 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got to say - it really is all about the weather here sometimes, and it makes for an interesting run! Its never the same twice. Why would I want to be in LA where its 80 today when I can be here in 1 degree weather! :lol: :lol:

jeremy11

Jan 18, 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently patched/sealed the leaky toes on my goretex trail runners so I had to go test them out. its only west virginia but still probably in the 20's today. it was cold enough someone commented they would drive across campus then brave the 5 minute walk in the cold. the shoes still leak a little. I lived in the Adirondacks (for college) a couple years ago and ran in temps probably below zero. it does get really cold, especially for the breathing. I had frost on the inside of my windcoat sometimes, or even on my long underwear. just don't wear a watch (put it in your pocket) unless you have good wrist coverage with the gloves you use. metal parts on the watch really freeze the hand it is on!
I always figure I'd rather be cold running (or anything else outside) rather than sit inside bored.
Jeremy

lehrski

Jan 19, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sat. morning I finally HAD to get out too. Too long cooped up inside. It was 23 below zero here (windchill about 40 below) and by the time I got enough clothes on to stay warm, I felt like the Michelin man shuffling along. I was pretty grumpy for the first 10 minutes and then the blue sky got to me. It felt so good to be outside crunching along in the snow.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook