RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xclimber

Jan 25, 2005, 9:13 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

eVent v Gore XCR
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if the eVent fabrics are really as much better than Gore-Tex as they're supposed to be? Does anyone make a hard-shell out of the stuff?

Thx,
Jerry

tradklime

Jan 25, 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Re: eVent v Epic v Gore [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a shell jacket made by Pearl Izumi using eVent, and yes it is that much better than goretex. However, I have heard that the new gore XCR is a vast improvement, and close to eVent. eVent hasn't done much to capture market share and is not that common. It looks like Pearl Izumi is phasing out the use of eVent, which is unfortunate because it really is great stuff.

Partner xclimber

Jan 26, 2005, 1:56 AM
Post #3 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I googled eVent and found a page from 2003 at Lowe Alpine http://www.lowealpine.com/Event/Index.htm proclaiming a "partnership" with eVent, but I can't find any mention of it in their 2004 catalog. I have sent an inquiry to LA regarding this, but haven't had a response yet...

Jerry

aikibujin

Jan 26, 2005, 2:19 AM
Post #4 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I googled eVent and found a page from 2003 at Lowe Alpine http://www.lowealpine.com/Event/Index.htm proclaiming a "partnership" with eVent, but I can't find any mention of it in their 2004 catalog. I have sent an inquiry to LA regarding this, but haven't had a response yet...

Jerry

I believe you're referring to the Lowe Alpine Elite jacket, which was discontinued last year, I believe. (Which also means you can find it at a discount at Sierra Trading Post) I heard rumors and hearsays that Lowe Alpine signed a deal with WL Gore and went back to Goretex as the result.

I only know one other manufacturer that still uses eVent in their products: Integral Designs. Check out their eVent jacket. I have the Lowe Alpine Elite jacket that I snatched up when it went on sale at STP. I think the design of the jacket itself is ok, the trim felt a little big on me (but I'm thin). The fabric seem lighter than my old 3-ply Goretex jacket. I've not had much chance to test the waterproof/breathability of the fabric itself against Goretex. I've heard good things about eVent, that's why I bought this jacket. However, if no manufacturers use it, then the best fabric won't do us any good. I can't possibly just wrap myself in a sheet of eVent and go out climbing.

Epic: nice lightweight fabric, not advertised as waterproof, but it is supposely very water resistant. I have a lightweight epic jacket for summer use. When new the fabric held a small cup of water for an hour without leaking.

Hope that helps.

Partner xclimber

Jan 26, 2005, 2:33 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I believe you're referring to the Lowe Alpine Elite jacket, which was discontinued last year, I believe. (Which also means you can find it at a discount at Sierra Trading Post) I heard rumors and hearsays that Lowe Alpine signed a deal with WL Gore and went back to Goretex as the result.

That's correct. They've got an announcement on their front page to that effect..

In reply to:
I only know one other manufacturer that still uses eVent in their products: Integral Designs. Check out their eVent jacket.

Feathered Friends is using it in some of their products. Thanks for the info. The links were a major help!

Jerry

gunked

Jan 26, 2005, 6:49 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tested a couple of eVent jackets for about two years. I was VERY impressed with the breathability and overall comfort. Compared to Gore-Tex, it definitely wins my vote. It makes Gore seem like it has the breathability of a trash bag.

I haven't used XCR yet.

My 2 cents!

-Jason :D

lambone

Jan 26, 2005, 8:01 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Epic is good but not water proof. wear it in a storm and you will be wet.

then again your wet in Gor-tex wether it's stormming or not...so go figure.

Partner xclimber

Jan 26, 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone have experience using Lowe's Triplepoint Ceramic?

rockit

Jan 26, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eVent is made by BHA technologies (http://www.eventfabrics.com) a company that provides parts and services for industrial air pollution control
The fabric can currently be found in a lot of European and American company clothes:
66° North
Callaway
Colmar
Craghoppers
Dee-luxe
Etonic
Feathered Friends
Gill
Ground
Helly Hansen
Hi-Tec
Integral Designs
Kayland
Klattermusen
Lundhags
Montane
Moose Racing
Pace
Pearl Izumi
Rab
Scott USA
Showers Pass
Sportchief
Sportswear of Sweden
Spyder Footwear
Vaude
Watership Trading
Zytt

Wild Things used to use their fabric extensively - and I think they still are.
Salomon used their fabric exclusively for a long time until they switched to the more popular (gumby cloak), but more cumbersome Schoeller.

The way you get to see the fabric you want used in the outdoor companies you buy from, is by writing them (this is a group effort) and asking for it! Those of you who are going to the tradeshow - make the companies hear your opinion. - If they are a good company they won't hesitate to listen to what you and hopefully many others want to see. Don't settle for the McDonalds of clothing technology - explore new options.
their email:
info@eventfabrics.com

crimp2bfree

Jan 26, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Re: eVent v Gore XCR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

double post

crimp2bfree

Jan 26, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work for a new equipment manufacturer out of NH called Nemo Equipment (www.nemoequipment.com). We use Epic fabric in our very innovative three season tents and eVent in our four season tents that go on sale this May. eVent is the best PTFE waterproof/breathable available. But its up against some tough corporate competition with Gore-Tex. Gore has manufactures sign contracts to only use their products; they are big and rather pushy. It makes it very hard to for a company to use a fabric such as eVent. eVent is a very expensive fabric, so it would be ideal to use it in high end products. Then use Gore fabrics in the midlevel products followed by generic PTFE or special urethane coated fabrics. Gore really doesn't want to be seen as a midlevel product hence the contracts, but for pricing reasons it is rather difficult for a large manufacturer (Marmot, ArcTeryx) to escape from the grasp of Gore. Its hard not to include Gore fabrics in a full line of gear produced by large manufacturers and others are just really embedded with Gore. (If only I could get an Alpha SV jacket in eVent!)

Now, I have to admit that I don't have any first hand experience dealing with Gore, and much of what I know is from the eVent rep. It does seem clear that there are much better fabrics available than what Gore has to offer. As a company, we have tried to move beyond industry standards and use the best materials possible. It is all about working hard and being innovative in everything we do. Gore is good example how corporate partnerships can prevent the outdoor gear industry from moving forward. Not to say that they are always bad, but they prevent people from taking chances. As an equipment manufacturer we hope to always be in position to walk out on a limb and move things forward. Too many people have gotten stuck, forced to cling to the big secure tree trunk.

nthusiastj

Jan 26, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crimp has it right. I used to work for BHA when eVent was still in R&D. The biggest hurdle is getting companies to get out from under Gore's thumb. Every quarterly meeting highlited how well the fabric was performing. But that the main challenge to getting the product out there was the Gore-tex market share and companies were afraid to make the jump. I also understand that Gore uses a little heavy handedness too.

petsfed

Jan 26, 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My moonstone jacket is eVent. So far i'm quite impressed. Kept me dry in sustained moderate rain, light as a feather.

I still have some Triple Point Ceramic gaiters. They don't breathe as well as Gore when its dry, but when they get wet, they seem to breathe more. Wierd but true. Lowe always made excellent light weight rain coats. Their heavy duty parkas I was less impressed with though.

wjca

Jan 27, 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone have any experience with Gore-Tex PacLite? I found a great deal on Moonstone's Nemesis Jacket, but have not been able to find any substantive reviews. I am looking for a lightweight shell that will stand up to the elements.

stevsop

Jan 28, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of EMS Paclite full zip rain pants. Couldn't pass them up for $70 (50% clearance).
I have no experience with standard g-tex, so I can't compare breathablity. Paclite is 25% more breathable according to marmot website.
I have only worn the Paclite pants three times. Once was on a windy fall day hiking uphill with the dog, just boxers underneath. Was mildy sweating, pants seemed to breathe enough to keep my legs from feeling wet/clammy.
Also wore them snowshoeing last Sunday (Post-Blizzard, very cold, high winds.) Had too many layers(polypro, 300 wt.fleece pants, paclites) and was overheating. Upon removing the EMS pants there was a fine layer of condensation on the outside of the fleece pants. I guess the Paclite created a log jam. Legs were dry thanks to the polypro. I was sweating like a pig though.
Long story short- It breathes, but don't expect any miracles. Would probably work for cold, wet climbing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook