Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rockfax

Jan 19, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #1 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

How did you start/get into climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm writing an article for ukclimbing.com and women climbers in America.

I live in the USA, btw...Saratoga Springs, NY....formerly of Bishop, CA for eight years until last June.

I have lots of questions but I wondered if anyone or indeed several women climbers could briefly tell me what inspired them to start climbing AND how they actually started climbing (friend, instructional course, rock gym etc).

Just for reference I'll relate my story. When I was a 14 year old hill walker in the English Lake District one rainy day I saw some red-anoraked climbers up on a rocky cliff. What are they doing up there I thought? How the hell do they get up there? I want to do that!

I then read a small climbing instructional book and started playing on a small local outcropping of rock....cut my finger nails and hair short, tucked my shirt into my pants, wore stout rubber-soled shoes....just like the book told me to do.

A few years later a friend took me to a quarry and I did my first roped climb. I was 17. I've never stopped sice. I'm now 43.

Best regards,

Mick Ryan

rockfax

Jan 19, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #2 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Re: How did you start/get into climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't want to post on here you can PM me or email

Cheers,

Mick

rockfax

Jan 19, 2005, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't want to post on here you can PM me or email

Cheers,

Mick

tavs

Jan 19, 2005, 6:37 PM
Post #4 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My name's Jess, BTW, and my story is pretty simple. My freshman year roommate at college (in Maine) was a climber (she'd started through some high school friends back in Illinois) and we had a small wall on campus (to go with a very active outing club and fairly active climbing community). I'd never heard of or seen actual climbing before, but stopped by the wall one evening to visit with my roommate and got talked into trying it out. I was hooked from the start (though, admittedly, there was a definite social-scene aspect that enticed me into it). That's what I did mostly for the first four years of my climbing life--top-roped a bunch inside, top-roped outside with the outing club, learned about building top-rope anchors and other such basics, but never entertained the idea of leading until after college, when I moved to the DC area, joined a climbing gym there, and started going outside a lot. Two years after that, I was moving to Utah mostly because of climbing!!

tavs

Jan 19, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #5 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, double post.

girlclimb

Jan 19, 2005, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm katelyn,
i grew up in a town near the whites of new hampshire that many climbers frequented because of its awesome granite cliffs. When i was little i would sit in the car in awe while watching little black dots make their way up shear cliffs. I always loved to climb things and i remember an older guy taking me bouldering when i was 11 or 12 (tennis shoes and all) i loved it. he said i was good and told my mom that she should get me lessons or something but money was always tight and it was another 3 years before i got on rock again, i talked a sceince teacher into taking my class out on a climbing trip for our geology section and again i was in love. finally when i was 15 and a half my mom got me a month membership to the local gym that had a wall in it for christmas, i used it so much in that one month that we decided it was worth it and ive been climbing non stop since. I didn't know any climbers when i started especially woman, but i rember occasionaly in the rainy and muddy months in the gym some really good females comming in to train and thinking i wanted to climb like that one day! i've gotten into all aspects of climbing, trad, sport, bouldering and once even ice. hopefully this summer i will start trad leading. I LOVE THIS SPORT.

rockfax

Jan 20, 2005, 2:00 AM
Post #7 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Katelyn and Jess.

Best regards,

Mick

maculated

Jan 20, 2005, 7:32 AM
Post #8 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My parents used to have a second home in Donner Lake. We'd drive along the old Highway and look at the climbers and I was like, "That will NEVER be me."

Flashforward ten or so years - my best friend is going on trips because his brother-in-law wants to get him into climbing. I pick him up and drop him off at the climbing gym and sometimes watch. It looks fun. I ask him to take me sometime. He IGNORES me. I hear later that he wanted it to be a 'guy thing.'

A few months later a friend and I hike up the local peak and he mentions wanting to go to the gym. I jump at the chance, and when I'm finally there, I find I have a fairly natural aptitude for it. I go bonzai and get the gear to go outside as quickly as possible - friends at the gym teaching me the basics for top roping.

My best friend finally realizes that I am about the most reliable climbing partner available to him so he finally decides to climb with me. He, and the dude that introduced me, become learning partners and we all teach ourselves.

It always amuses me when women ask me if a boyfriend got me into climbing. Truth is, I got into climbing DESPITE a guy.

Partner costellobr

Jan 20, 2005, 8:42 AM
Post #9 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got into climbing at age 39. I went on an Outward Bound trip in JT and it included some climbing. I was hooked immediately and wondered why in the hell I had not been doing this climbing thing. Came home from the trip and started hooking up with experienced climbers at Moore's Wall. Thank you Tom Calicutt. That was about 13 years ago and I am still addicted and climb as much as possible.

Brenda

kimmyt

Jan 20, 2005, 4:58 PM
Post #10 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine is a long and wandering path that ranges from mere amusement to addiction.

My first climbing experience was around age 10. I used to attend a Christian summer camp every year, for a week or two in the summer. It was located in the Poconos of Pennsylvania. I started off with the usual camping, in a large lodge that wasn't truly camping. As the years moved on, I realized that little things like bugs and dirt didn't bother me. Every year my choice of summer camp programs became progressively rougher than the last. Finally, I signed up for an 'Adventure Camp' program, where we slept in the roughest of tents (although still with wooden platforms...) and did a variety of activities. One of those activities was climbing.

My first introduction was on a tall wooden tower set with various holds. I didn't associate rock climbing with rocks in the first experience. It was simply a scary, but fun activity. I remember getting angry that I couldn't get to the top of the tower, but my decidedly girly friend who hated dirt could easily get up there. (it was a war between my hopes and my abilities from the very beginning, you see...). I remember being shown how to tie a figure eight.

A couple days later, at camp, they took us outside. I felt like I was in a huge jungle gym. I don't remember being afraid of heights at all. Granted, we were only on a small face, but I was so focused on the gray rock in front of me that I barely registered when I put my hand in a crack and a large centipede crawled over my knuckles. Other girls would have screamed, I merely waited for him to traverse my hand before continuing.

Fast forward several years. I never thought about climbing in between, other than remember that it was something very fun, that most likely I would never do again. I was in college at Pennstate, where they have a great Outing Club. My freshman year I took a backpacking trip through Central PA for credits, and the experience reminded me of my love for nature and the outdoors. I started leafing through the Club's flyer, and an Introduction to Climbing course caught my eye.

I remember what really caught my eye was that it was a Women's Only course. I was at the time very shy around men I didn't know. The idea of doing something that I would probably be terrible at, in front of several of the male species, frightened me to no end. But, I wanted to climb so bad. That there was a Women's course encouraged me, and I convinced several of my roommates to try it with me. The course was great, the first session teaching ground school in the YMCA and having us climb on the wall there. The second was an entire day out at a nearby crag. I loved it. Even though we were climbing in sneakers, I told myself that someday I would do this more often. (it should be noted that I sucked royally, but I certainly didn't let that stop me from dreaming).

I recieved a harness for Christmas, as did my roommate. We vowed to go climbing together. Unfortunately, it never happened. Despite that it was only 5 dollars to climb at the Y, we somehow never got around to it. I bugged her often, but she was never in the mood. I never even thought of going by myself.

And so, I didn't climb again until senior year when I met a guy in my Kayaking class who I became friends with. He told me he climbed, and I asked if we could go climbing. He took me, and my love was rekindled. I put my foot down. When I got a paying job, I would become a climber.

Graduation passed, and I got my first job. It was well-payed, and I thought of climbing. I convinced a coworker to go to a nearby gym with me. Then I started going twice a week by myself. I bought shoes, read everything I could about climbing. I told myself I would go outside and climb once I got proficient. Then I found this website, and realized that you don't have to be able to climb 5.11 indoors to climb outside. I started going outside every chance I could get. I met people all over the eastern part of the country, travelled up to 8 hours in a day by myself to drive somewhere and climb on the weekend. I learned to clean Trad, and to lead Sport. I started buying gear (with which, hopefully someday I will lead Trad). I began to live and breath climbing.

Since then I haven't looked back (that was only a year and a half ago). Climbing has become as integral a part of my life as breathing is. A day doesn't go by when I don't think about it, plan future trips, and figure out things I need to learn or do to meet my modest goals.

I plan to be doing this for a long time, you see. For real, this time.

K.

rockgal

Jan 21, 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #11 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you could say I got into climbing the cliched way. I made my then-boyfriend take me with him one time as I was always making fun of him for his addiction to climbing and wanted to see what the hype was about. Well then I got to the gym he went to, and after overcoming my fear of heights I loved it. However because I always considered climbing to be his guy thing I never went but once more with him.

Once summer came around though and we had broken up I decided I really wanted to get into climbing and went and got my own membership to the gym since I no longer felt like I would be intruding. Now a couple of classes later I have been to the gym or outside continuously ever since and am in love with the sport and don't ever plan to stop climbing or feel to intimidated by someone to let that stop me.

sportclmbr20

Jan 25, 2005, 2:59 PM
Post #12 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My name is Megan and got started climbing about a year and a half ago. I was out of a job and knew that a Gaylan's was going up right where I lived. So I thought I'd apply and see what happens. Well, I got hired on at the climbing wall, so I belayed the whole time. I acutally jus quit there since the store closed and is now becoming a furniture store :( Anyways, when I started working, I met my boyfriend there too and we started coming in on our days off to climb. Then we found where a real climbing gym was and started going there. After I started working at Galyan's for a few months I started to be friends with a lot of the employees there and learned that some of the climb outside on the weekends so they invited me and my boyfriend along. My first climbing experience outside was a lot of fun, although the rock really sucked. So then about six months later, in June, my boyfriend and I went to Red River Gorge with some of our friends and climbed there. Ever since I've been addicted to climbing and thats all I ever dream and think about LOL.

climbingnomad

Jan 25, 2005, 3:03 PM
Post #13 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Third year of University I jumped in a car last minute to drive the 13 hours home for a week break. Had made no plans and when I got there most of my friends were away, except one who was home from working at an Outward Bound "camp". We spent many days together and one of which was going to a rock gym. I had never felt as powerful as when I was mastering a wall, and it was all me! I'd only ever participated in team sports before so it was odd when there was no one to do it but you.
Fast forward two years and I find myself in BC working for a year. This is where I met my best climbing buddy to date. We climbed once to twice a week, and she taught me the basics for outdoors. My climbing improved not only due to the amount of time climbing but the support, encouragment and sometimes teasing from the bottom of the rope.
It isn't something I do because I want to. It is something I do because I need to.

acacongua

Jan 25, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #14 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found out about this local climbing gym in Bloomington, Indiana where I went to school (Indiana University). I was working as a copy editor at the city newspaper when a story came through about the gym. My co-worker and I kept making plans to go, but deciding that she fears heights, we trashed the plan. Finally, a few months later in the summer, I was set up on a blind date and when we were deciding what we should do, I told him about this gym. We went and had a great time. I didn't go again until a year later at the age of 24 and after that, I still didn't get into it until the Winter when I started making a trip once/week. In the following Spring, I got to see a cousin I had not seen in years who turned out to be a climber and he introduced me to the Red River Gorge. I'd make a few trips here and there, but it wasn't until age 26 when I was camping at Miguel's that I met a guy at the fireplace, and of course, I fell for him. His passion for climbing influenced me that I started going to the gym more and making more trips. He didn't work out, but my newfound love for climbing did. I started leading that next Spring and unfortunately a year later, I broke my ankle on a lead climb (an .11 at the Red). After I healed, I felt more inspired and have sent many .11s since Summer and am now jumping on .12s. I'm completely hooked and I feel that a weekend without climbing outdoors is like missing a dose of medicine. I absolutely love it and look forward to a life of climbing adventures.

wa_hoo

Jan 25, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #15 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend I worked with offered to take a few of us on a workday (we teach). I was hooked from day one, despite my overweight, uncoordinated, weak body. He was very patient and we went weekly to the gym for a year, I started doing cardio and working out and getting more fit.

I learned to lead belay him, and we went outside a couple times. I just do sport. Then i got my hubby into it and we go 3 times a week now. We just started leading and hope to get outside a lot more this spring and summer.

maww

Jan 26, 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #16 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too got started the cliche way - the boy I was dating at the time was and is a pretty active climber & mountaineer. I was bored with the same old gym routine (my YMCA had a great wall & terrific bouldering regulars) and decided to give it a try at his urging. He didn't last but my climbing interest has soldiered on without him. At least I got that out of him right?! :)

labarrosa

Jan 28, 2005, 5:54 PM
Post #17 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was working on my PhD in math in Argentina, broke with my boy friend, got really confused about what I want to do with my life and a friend from San Francisco bay area(CA) needed help with her two kids. So knowing no English at all I decide to give her a hand.

There I met two Argentineans climbers who took me to Pinnacles, some where south of San Francisco, my first impression was these guys are crazy. I was convinced to try some really easy face, and I just loved I felt a passion never felt for any other sport before. These guys were really nice, took me to Yosemite, Lovers Leap, .... I didn’t climb that much (I won 20 pounds on that trip to US, and I’m really short) but I knew that climbing was my sport.
Any way my time In US was over I came back to Argentina. Got a master degree in Biometrics (Statistics apply to biological Sciences). And then I met Tim, he is from US but was doing a postdoc in Argentina, he is addicted to climbing and a mathematician, What else can I ask? :wink: .

We had been climbing together the past ten years, trad, sport and bouldering. Climb in a lot of places in US, Brasil, Chile and of course Argentina. We also got married, built a house 10 minutes away from a great bouldering area, and expand the family with a beautiful 2,1/2 years old daughter, who spend every weekend, since she was three weeks old, at the mountains or at some bouldering area.

Sorry for my English but, saying that English is my second language It’s way too much, been more realistic I should say that is my tenth??? language, even when I only speak Spanish and English. :oops:

denmarkbob

Jan 28, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #18 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mick, figures i'd find you in the ladies room... :shock:

denmarkbob

Jan 28, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #19 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

denmarkbob

Jan 28, 2005, 7:21 PM
Post #20 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

denmarkbob

Jan 28, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #21 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

denmarkbob

Jan 28, 2005, 7:23 PM
Post #22 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

icegirl

Jan 29, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #23 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My name is Halla.
As a child I was one of those that was always climbing whatever could be climbed and this sport has always interested me.
However, back home in Iceland, this sport did more or less not excist so I never got into it there. After coming here to the US about 2 1/2 years ago for grad school, one of the first things I did was to contact a local climbing gym and start. Easily enough, I fell completely head over heels for this sport (and I am always just as surpriced to find people that don't find this the greatest sport of all). Now I'm an instructor at the same gym and climb as often as I can, talk, think and dream constantly about climbing, this is truely an obsessive sport. Now I kick my self in the shins for my 25+ years of non-climbing life, if I'd only known what I was missing out on...

steph

Feb 1, 2005, 1:39 AM
Post #24 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm Steph and Ive been climbing things since i can remember. I have photo evidence of me doing a pushup at the age of 7 months before i could sit up or even crawl! Anyway, in grade 5 my school teacher noticed i was a strong kid and introduced me to the school climbing gym. It was great - i no longer had to resort to climbing unroped up trees and over big random boulders! So ever since then I've climbed with school, then joined a climbing squad and now I climb outdoors every 2nd week with other climbing bums like myself!!!

Another reason I climb is that i'm pretty opinionated and if someone says something can't be done I'l usually be the first to prove them wrong or die trying. I got bagged a lot for being a girl and liking to climb cos its a "boys sport" which made me more determined to do it.

climberterp

Feb 1, 2005, 2:52 AM
Post #25 of 27 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing things since I could toddle, but I didn't get introduced to rock climbing until my mid-20s. A few of my friends had gotten into it through a friend from work who climbed at a local gym, they invited me along one day and I was hooked. None of them climb anymore, but I've managed to meet lots of other great people who help me support my habit :) I've also done a lot more bouldering in the last year or so; for a while it didn't really appeal to me but after giving it a shot I realized that it was fun and as an added benefit I didn't always need a partner.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook