RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Jun 15, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

slacklining is peace!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just spent the last 2 hours on my slackline...It's dark outside, and I slacked by headlamp! It was so calm and peaceful with the night air and all. Then I layed on the grass and for the first time in a long time I looked up and was amazed by the the formation of the dark cloudes above with the brights starts peaking threw with the moon half covered by a cloud. It was great!

On another note, I dont know if i'm just tired or what, but when I was on the line it felt like I was really swaying, even when I wasn't...even when I sit typing this I feel like i'm still swaying...does anyone else feel like this??

Have Fun,
Jeremy

cragchica

Jun 15, 2002, 5:15 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

slacklining is peace! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never tried slacklining, but it sounds great. I think I would have a hard time getting started... is there a good way to get into it as a novice?

Thanks... and peace to you,

Andria

beyond_gravity

Jun 15, 2002, 5:42 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's really simple to get started, Go out to any gear shop and buy yourself 15-20m of 1 inch webbing. From there just use some biners to rig a pully device, and your set! The way I got good at walking was using a broom stick for support as I got used to what the line felt like. It's all about concintration, and I for one find it very relaxing after a good session.

Keep at it,
Jeremy

sparky

Jun 17, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklining is awsome, i'm still learnig but so far it is a blast, especially when you set it up over a river

ktwo

Jun 18, 2002, 12:22 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a reason that you felt like you were swaying alot. When it is dark outside, it is harder for you to see (duh! ) and that makes it harder for your eyes to locate a point of reference, so you don't have as much balance. (If you don't get what I am saying, try slacklining with your eyes closed, it is exremely hard.) This also explains why focusing on one point while you are slacklining helps you to stay on.

neeshman

Jun 18, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel kinda dumb asking this, but what is slacklining? Sorry, I know this does not belong here in this exact forum. But if someone could help me out I would love it.

Partner coldclimb

Jun 18, 2002, 1:45 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklining is definately awesome. The way I started was over a trampoline, so it doesn't hurt at all. I also had a rope hanging from a tree to help me get on in the beginning. I love this sport.

rck_climber

Jun 18, 2002, 3:28 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neeshman,

Don't feel dumb, I didn't know until recently either and have only tried it a couple of times - mainly at the SLC gathering.

Slacklining is alot like tightrope walking, but doing it on a 1" piece of webbing instead. Furthermore, instead of making sure it's VERY tight (like a tightrope), slacklines (like the name would imply) have some slack in them. The slack is not anything you can see, but only when you step on it. Whereas a tightrope should not dip with weight, a slack line will.

For some good visual examples of slacklining, see some photos from the slacklining king, our very own elcapbuzz (Ammon McNeely) here.

Hope this helps to clarify it.

Mick

Partner jules

Dec 15, 2002, 2:03 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the Slacklining forum by juliana[/small]

gymslackerclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah this is old.. it caught my attention so i thought i would comment..

In reply to:
It's dark outside, and I slacked by headlamp

walking at night with a headlamp is da bomb..

then this caught my attention
In reply to:
Then I layed on the grass and for the first time in a long time I looked up and was amazed by the the formation of the dark cloudes above with the brights starts peaking threw with the moon half covered by a cloud
In reply to:
It was great!
okay......

In reply to:
it felt like I was really swaying, even when I wasn't...even when I sit typing this I feel like i'm still swaying...does anyone else feel like this??

oddly enough i sure do feel that swaying,,, although i did stop doing all those,,,
In reply to:
really swaying
drugs a while ago,,... its about visualization,,, and feeling the flow.... right? about basically everything ,,,you have to feel the flow.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook