RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

sixter

Feb 5, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Santee Boulders For Sale!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, this morning I did a little climbing at the Santee Boulders east of San Diego, and I saw people walking around with what looked like maps. They were driving around the property in pickup trucks. I didn't think much of it at the time. I figured they were maybe with the city, power company, whatever. Official business or something. It wasn't until I was pulling out of the parking lot that I saw sitting on the top of the hill, a fresh looking "for sale" sign. Does anyone know any more information. I know there have been roumors in the past (I did a search to see if anyone posted on this and found a few threads about past concerns and roumors). It seems to me this matter requires some urgent attention if we are to keep the area open for recreational uses. I have sent an e-mail to the San Diego Climbing Coalition.

asandh

Feb 5, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Re: Santee Boulders For Sale! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

bler

Feb 5, 2005, 9:18 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that would suck if they tore out those boulders to build houses !! although I would not be too suprised

if you can make money off it, tear it down !!

rockguy

Feb 5, 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if you can make money off it, tear it down !!

So true! Saw this quote on the back of a shirt; thought it was cool and applies here..."It's not until the last tree is cut, the last river dammed, the last field paved, that we'll realize we can't eat money."

bler

Feb 6, 2005, 4:18 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

capitalism at its finest ;)

bradmc

Feb 6, 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no where is that more apparent than in Atlanta, where they are tearing down anything and everything to build new houses and strip malls.

They are tearing down nice older ranch homes with big trees... deforesting huge tracts of land and you guessed it... destroying boulders.

our little boulder garden.. a mile and a half of granite boulders tucked in a mature forested area has come under serious attack with national home building companies pushing in from all sides.

they mass grade and put in cookie cutter homes that look the same in Dallas, Tampa and St. Paul. No character and they obliterate the forest and boulders. They turn the boulders in to grapefruit sized rip-rap and bulldoze it down the hill.

we are putting up a feirce fight and have saved 12.5 acres to date.

Dont give up on your area... no matter if it is a crag; or a little scrappy boulderfield. Fight the developers tooth and nail and raise money and buy the area.

when we are long gone; and their particle board and vinyl siding cookie cutter houses and falling down... the area you save will still be there and your kids will be enjoying it.

never surrender! 8^)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook