Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

thewyseclimber

Feb 9, 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

How good is REI gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My friend just bought an REI pack, which got me to thinking...how good is REI gear? Thus far I have not bought anything of the brand, but I'm just curious in general as to the experiences people have had with anything they make...fleeces, packs, whatever.

feanor007

Feb 9, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #2 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Re: How good is REI gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would go as far as to say that REI gear is the best value of any gear when comparing at retail prices. I have a muir woods vest, duck-back pack cover and Mistral jacket. they also go on wicked sales. I got the muir (polartec 200) for $20! and i use it all the time, climbing, running, backpacking, chilling. the ducks-back fits my Bora 80 perfectly and was 25$ cheaper than Arc'teryx's pack cover. The mistral might be more useful than my vest. I would have got an REI pack over the Bora, i liked then the same, the the Bora was on massive clearance ($199). REI gear rocks!

labrat0065

Feb 9, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #3 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have 1 really old rei locker, i only use it to ancher myself to bolts at teh top of sport routes, i dont think i would take a fall on it, its rates high enough, but its just cheaply made with a poor gate action. in case you were wondering i use 2 slings and one of them is an omega and one is rei, so im not putting too much faith in it.

feanor007

Feb 9, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would go as far as to say that REI gear is the best value of any gear when comparing at retail prices. I have a muir woods vest, duck-back pack cover and Mistral jacket. they also go on wicked sales. I got the muir (polartec 200) for $20! and i use it all the time, climbing, running, backpacking, chilling. the ducks-back fits my Bora 80 perfectly and was 25$ cheaper than Arc'teryx's pack cover. The mistral might be more useful than my vest. I would have got an REI pack over the Bora, i liked then the same, the the Bora was on massive clearance ($199). REI gear rocks!

lv2climb7

Feb 9, 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #5 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Partner eyecannon

Feb 9, 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #6 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like their packs a lot, but I got their Camp Dome 6 tent and it got ravaged by the wind. Luckily, they have one of the best return policies of any company, just don't abuse it!

neurostar

Feb 9, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #7 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as backpacking and camping gear goes, REI is a great value. It's really quality stuff, and it's not as expensive. All 3 of the backpacking packs (and also my day pack) are REI brand. And they've all held up well. In fact, my first internal frame backpack was passed down from me to both of my little brothers. It worked well for all of us, and now my mom uses it.

I love REI. It's good stuff. I've got the mistral pant, and it's worked well, ice climbing, rock climbing, and mountaineering.

sandbag

Feb 9, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #8 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive got a few things from them, talus packs, base layers etc. The best thing they've produced (and sadly now doent any longer) were these fantastic full length zippered mountaineering pants that have only been rivaled by the Mountain hardware and the Marmot mountaineering pants and at half the cost. Oh how i wish i could find some more of those
again.......they rock like no other for me so far, internal gaiters, edge guard, Goretex XCR, velcro along the zips for venting, incredible pants

abalch

Feb 9, 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #9 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of their gear is name brand gear, made for REI, and so without the name, it is cheaper. For instance, I bought the REI Spirit gortex hiking boots, only to realize when I got home, that they are made by, and identical to a boot that Raichle makes. The only difference is the patch on the side of the boots that says REI instead of Raichle. They are pretty old and beat up now, but when new, they even had a little tag on the tongue of the boot that said, made by Raichle for REI. Some of their other boots are made by Merrell and Vasque.

I don't know any of the "hidden" manufaturers of other gear at REI right now.

hibby11

Feb 9, 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #10 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have purchased a pack from REI. Went backpacking in Glacier NP with it for 10 days and it did nothing but please me. Good size, comfortable, and very user friendly.

petsfed

Feb 9, 2005, 1:19 AM
Post #11 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My only complaints with REI gear are that it tends to be heavy and its never technical enough for my tastes. Their jackets tend to be too long or ride up too much for climbing in, and their schoeller pants (the mistrals) are kind of low durability for much abuse, but I can't fault the design. Same with the climbing gear. Good stuff all around.

claramie

Feb 9, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #12 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI has plenty of good gear, but I don't like everything. Tents, clothes, and sleeping bags are all good. The only larger REI pack that I like is the Talus 50, which has been discontinued.

As for value, it's tough to beat REI brand. It's often the same as the name brand, but cheaper... ie, REI Elements is GORE-TEX (made for REI by Gore Corporation).

I'm not biased. I've worked at REI in most of the departments for 2 years, and I have to say that their gear is usually high-quality, price-conscious and definitely backed by 100% return policies.

CL

scarpenter

Feb 9, 2005, 1:56 AM
Post #13 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The boots are now made by Merrel. Everything else I'm not sure about the plant where they were manufactured, but they are original designs. Old REI gear wasn't the absolute best, but there is a reason why they now constantly get Editor's and Reader's choice awards from the big magazines. Maybe peoples' expectations are different, but as far as I've seen the REI gear usually is reviewed better than TNF.

Growing up in an outdoorsy family in the northwest, it was understood that REI was the place to go. I've always used their gear and there isn't much on my shopping list that I wouldn't be able to get from them (ball nuts, the new aid climbing video - they do have the old one, and some guidebooks that only local sources wishing to remain anonyous will sell) - almost all of the vendors are set up to special order stuff so just because they don't say they carry it doesn't mean they can't get it for you.

Plus they have Aliens :D

Plus, I work there too :roll:, but I'd like to think I'm not biased either. If some other brand is that much better, I'll buy it, but for most things the REI gear holds its own.

ikellen

Feb 9, 2005, 2:06 AM
Post #14 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Talus 35 pack (2004 model), Sub-kilo sleeping bag, and the Half Dome Plus 2 Tent.

All the stuff was a great deal, and so far I like them. A few notes on each:

Talus 35 Pack: Good crag pack, the back compression straps are great for strapping a rope to the outside. Its a bit heavier than I'd like, but it carries very well with a full rope, rack, shoes, jacket, food and a camelback.

Sub-kilo sleeping bag: LOVE IT!!! 20 degrees and 2 lbs even. Probably one of the best down sleeping bag deals on the market, although I cant find it on their website now :(

Half Dome Tent: Excellent fit for two people, the vestibule space is good, and it's great in rough weather. A little heavy, but a worthwhile luxury compared to lighter shelters.

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Feb 9, 2005, 2:07 AM
Post #15 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI has not let me down. I own a pair of REI boots (which in all fairness were actually made by Raichle) that are the best I've ever owned, and I've gone through quite a few. I have a -5f down bag, and a 30f synthetic bag, and they are both fantastic. I've taken the down to -25f no probs. I also just got a fleece jacket, which I liked better than any of the North Face or Mountain Hardware stuff I tried on.

Check the sales when you're in the store. I got the down bag for $160 and the synthetic for <$100.

horseonwheels

Feb 9, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #16 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Second what everyone else has been saying.

I bought the large Talus 35 as a large climbing daypack and overnight backpacking pack. Its perfect for what I use it for, very tough and handles those occasional slides down loose rock. I also got a great deal on it.

I also have a REI sleeping bag rated to 20F, and while I don't use it to go barrel rolling down hills, it does hold up to those rocks that are stabbing you in the back all night.

I've bought lots of other things over the years and they've all held up really well, and more importantly, I saved some money.

wa_hoo

Feb 9, 2005, 3:06 AM
Post #17 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We've had nothing but good luck also. We don't camp, but buy lots of clothing and stuff for snowshoeing and hiking and have been very happy. Also - check out REI outlet.com - fabulous closeouts. I also like getting a big dividend and refund back at the end of the year (cash to use in the store) for using their credit card - it's got a great rate. I just run all my expenses on it and earn money for gear. How cool is that!

Partner f_thomas

Feb 9, 2005, 3:10 AM
Post #18 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A lot of their gear is name brand gear, made for REI, and so without the name, it is cheaper.

REI is a great value for the dollar. The only problem I have experienced is that if something such as a pack (I had an interesting REI one and couldn't get a replacement hipbelt) doesn't go well for them that REI will quit selling it and REI doesn't seem to do well with support after their retail inventory is gone. No replacement parts - no nothing. It is just out of their line and out of stock. I've found Dana Designs and Gregory to be far better in long term support and replacement parts for packs. Old Shasta still hauling gear!

scarpenter

Feb 9, 2005, 3:22 AM
Post #19 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe not hipbelts on all packs, but there are spare parts and repair services available for just about everything else. They usually work hard to make right anything that goes wrong... I imagine they offered to take your pack in exchange for a new one.

For the sub kilo bag, click here.

rei.com has an almost continuously updating inventory, so if they run out of something temporarily in the distribution center then it won't be on the website. Often a local store will have what you need, though. I see that frequently, and most things get restocked soon, so it's not something to worry about.

autumngirl

Feb 9, 2005, 3:29 AM
Post #20 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love REI dividends....at the end of the year they feel like free gift certificates even though they are just 10% back of stuff you bought.

My REI favorites:
Mistral Jacket (got at half price) for everyday wear (am wearing right now!)
Half Dome Tent - accounts for some huge percentage of tents sold at REI so you know they are doing something right.
REI polypropilene tops (cheaper than other brands and great quality)

Living 5 minutes from the flagship store when not in school definately has its perks! The store is like a destination in itself - when friends from outside the area are in town I usually take them to climb the 65 ft pinnacle and then eat World Wrapps (in the store) while sitting out on the porch looking out over the Space Needle, Olympic Mtns and the waterfall that graces the drop between the REI entrance and the lower level parking.

Plus I've been able to replace multiple items for free because of their killer return policy - like my BD Moonlight headlamp with a faulty wire and a FreeStyle watch that was definately not water resistant. I've never had to return any REI brand stuff as of yet!

boltdude

Feb 9, 2005, 3:37 AM
Post #21 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One note for people with some older REI carabiners: the REI brand blue-gate D-biners from around 10 years ago (look very similar to Chouinard/BD "Light-D" biners) should be retired, a friend of mine broke 2 of those biners in one fall (10 foot fall 20' off the belay, broke old fixed nut, broke biners on next 2 cams, knocked belayer off of belay ledge, she caught them both off the main anchor - pitch 3 of Direct NW Face, Lembert Dome, Tuolumne). I have a couple of them (NOT in use obviously). I still see those on people's racks, retire them if you have them!

omeier

Feb 9, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #22 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Their stuff is pretty good i must contend, but it all comes down to how much money you have and what you need. IE their sleeping bags are pretty good. The Subkilo is a great buy, nothing beats its value, however the mountain hardwear bags (outside of price) have little to fear from them. As for Rei tents i have to say they suck! If its all you can afford thats one thing, they perform, but after using some nicer tents I won't go back to em. It all comes down to what you're willing to spend. Many of their other products are fine, and often great values. No one can be a jack of all trades though. I guess thats what makes their return policy so great, no risk to the consumer.

Partner eyecannon

Feb 9, 2005, 7:22 AM
Post #23 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Muahaha just filled out the online app and was instantly approved for a REI Visa with $3000 limit :twisted:

Now i can get my full 10% dividend!

mintcondish

Feb 9, 2005, 8:41 AM
Post #24 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Muahaha just filled out the online app and was instantly approved for a REI Visa with $3000 limit :twisted:

Now i can get my full 10% dividend!

i was declined when i tried a few months ago! :cry:

having worked there in the past i definitely can tell that all the gear we sell is of great quality. i own their clipper tent, talus 50 pack, mars pack, some redpoint runners, and a few articles of clothing including one of my favorite fleece jackets. last saturday at the used gear sale i just scored an arcteryx and prana sweater for both in good condition for under 5 bucks!

cgailey

Feb 9, 2005, 9:19 AM
Post #25 of 26 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI makes great gear, and of course stands behind it. However, not everything that comes from the designers is great....sometimes great ideas fall into the wrong hands for implementation. You have to pick and choose what you get, but for the most part, all I ever see is improvement.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook