Premier Sponsor:

indigo_nite

Feb 13, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #1 of 2 (116 views)
Shortcut

quest for good oatmeal experience: mc cann's steel cut
Report this Post
Can't Post

several months back, I'd posted about my poor oatmeal experieneces (powdered oatmeal is out of the question; rolled oats were a little better). some people shared their better oatmeal recipies.

late '04, I read some food articles reviewing oatmeal and decided to get the pricey but recommended mc cann's steel cut oatmeal (available at trader joe's for about $4.50). just tried it this morning and it is the best oatmeal I've tasted.

it has a great texture which is enjoyable to chew. there's a nutty and barley-ish taste. I added cream and honey and enjoyed the regular serving (1/4 cup dry oat). the con is that it takes 30 min. to cook (I only cooked for 20 min. b/c I like more firm texture). the next experiment will be to riff off someone's joking suggestion that I ditch oatmeal and just go with bacon, eggs, and rye. thinking along the lines of oatmeal which is topped with bacon (farmer john's, canadian, pancetta?) and some kind of herb (chive? rosemary???)

have not had time to go climbing for a while so I have to put my energy to something...

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 13, 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #2 of 2 (116 views)
Shortcut

Re: quest for good oatmeal experience: mc cann's steel cut [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, mc'ann's is definitely the real deal, oatmeal-wise.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook