RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

hunna03

Sep 3, 2007, 9:18 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2842 views)
Shortcut

When do I enter Comps?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As someone fairly new to rock climbing, at what point do you start entering them? Are they just for really experienced climbers or are they for anyone looking for a challenge?

shockabuku

Sep 3, 2007, 9:22 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hunna03] When do I enter Comps? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Local comps are a great opportunity to meet and mingle with other climbers, maybe learn something new and have a good time. Usually beginners through advanced participants are anticipated so don't feel like you have to be climbing 5.12 to participate in one. It's an experience; try it out.

hunna03

Sep 3, 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] When do I enter Comps? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Talk about a quick reply. Thanks for the information. I think i'll be checking them out soon.

gblauer

Sep 3, 2007, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hunna03 wrote:
As someone fairly new to rock climbing, at what point do you start entering them? Are they just for really experienced climbers or are they for anyone looking for a challenge?

Most comps have a "novice" category. If you are the competitive type, then you should start comps as soon as you feel like you are climbing well enough.

Good luck!

Myxomatosis

Sep 5, 2007, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I entered my first bouldering comp after one year of climbing (only doing 5.11a's). I was even brave enough to enter in the Intermediate class (Beginer, Int, Pro).

Normally you have to complete three problems and you get two attempts to score points and after those two you get none... well thats way they ran the comp.

In the end, I only finishing one problem out of the three. Finished near the bottom of the feild....

BUT I learnt way more about climbing from that one night than I had learnt in a year of climbing. I consider it to be a turning point. At the start I was all pumped up and ready to go nuts on the problem but I soon came crashing back to reality and fell off after only two holds... oh... jumped back on with the same attitude and got thrown off again.... DOH!!!!

Then it clicked (after another hand full of tries)... nice and smooth... calmly... nobody is watching you... your in own little world... Just work the moves slowly, I said to myself... and then I fell off again Laugh... I ended up giving it another 10-15 go's and go it finally... woohoo!!!

Next problem it only took me 5 goes and didnt score any points but I was one of the first to complete it... Fully stocked Laugh

Moral of the story... Its definitly worth it Smile

PS: I got a spot price at the end, some lip sunscream, haha

(This post was edited by Myxomatosis on Sep 5, 2007, 5:28 AM)

flint

Sep 5, 2007, 5:24 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I entered a climbing comp on my second climbing day here in China. I had taken about 2 months off before hand, and pretty much dropped all my finger strength. Needless to say, I sucked it hard, only finishing one full problem and getting 3 total points.

But, this let the regulars at the gym know who I was, and helped me to develop a good relationship with these guys, even though we can barly speak each others language. Now, I am one of the few people they will hand the tape and wrench to on the bouldering wall.

On a second note, I got to partake in the dyno comp, and due to my giant size (compared to the chinese) and my previous love of dyno's I came in second, only losing because the tie breaker was campus travese across the over hang, that my fat ass was just not having.

hunna03

Sep 5, 2007, 6:52 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] When do I enter Comps? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for every bodies remarks. You've all had something different to offer and i'm going to use it all. Right now just getting to climb is a pain because I'm traveling all the time. Hopefully I can narrow downs some climbs while traveling.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook