Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

itstoearly

Mar 14, 2011, 2:43 PM
Post #26 of 40 (4837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stoves] Please help, stuck at v2+ and not getting any better [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Some road blocks that may be causing this:

First, many gyms will extend the difficulty of V0 and V1 down quite a bit to make bouldering more accessible to new climbers. You may find that V3 is more true to V3 difficulty at your gym, and so the gap is much bigger.

Second, you may be developing a lot of strength and no balance, footwork, or technique. Many easy bouldering problems in some gyms can be muscled through (again, to make bouldering more accessible to new climbers). Watch other people boulder. Don't be afraid to talk to other climbers. Many climbers love giving tips and beta.

Third, you may not be giving your body enough rest. Every other day climbing will often be OK, but I know for me personally, sometimes I need 2 days to recover if I really wear myself out.

Fourth, depending on your body, it may just be that you need to start dropping some weight. Even if you aren't a fatty, you might be surprised how much extra weight your body has. I dropped 5 lbs and was able to increase 2 or 3 levels in climbing.

Fifth, try toproping. As a beginning climber, you should climb as many varieties of climbs as you can, and toproping can add to the variety greatly. Don't have a belayer? Make friends at the gym and belay each other.

Sixth, Find your weaknesses and work on them. Good at crimps? Work the slopers. Love the overhanging walls? Try the vertical walls (or slab walls, although you probably won't find bouldering problems on slab walls).

Lastly, don't get caught up in grade chasing. Grades are subjective. I may be able to climb something that plays to my strengths, but a climb of the same rating that plays to my weakness might be too difficult.

ENARE

Mar 14, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #27 of 40 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How have you progressed on this man?

Stoves

Mar 15, 2011, 4:00 AM
Post #28 of 40 (4792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] Please help, stuck at v2+ and not getting any better [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely!

I think what helped me the most was turning down a notch, focusing more on v0's and v1's with technique in mind. I would send the same problems a few times over until they became very easy. (like many of you suggested, so thanks for that folks

Then I notice that the v2's were a lot easier (:

So when i get to the gym I try to keep doing that but i get excited with my progress and end up doing v3's and attempting to do v4s.

Working on a harder problem is just more fun for me.

ENARE

Mar 15, 2011, 4:15 AM
Post #29 of 40 (4787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stoves wrote:

Working on a harder problem is just more fun for me.

That is definitely the truth! I am glad to hear that you are progressing. I just sended a V3 problem I had been working on. I was definitely stoked. Although, I am not climbing at the level that I used too, it is a lot more fun progressing that it is practicing.

Stoves

Mar 25, 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #30 of 40 (4707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Development: Huge milestone! After a 2 days of projecting into a single move I finished my first v4!

The problem started with a dyno which is my strongest point. The jump itself wasent the bad but they way how you came into the hold was slimy as fuck! You had to use both hands to grab it, grabbing from the side. You were facing the wall but you had to jump to the side. Very fishy.

Sometimes I was able to grab the hold for a 2-3 seconds and had to let it go because i was swinging to much. Keeping my core tight was key to grab that hold.

After grabbing that sleazy hold I learned that I have to do a pull up in order to stop swinging.

The next two hold above were fairly easy but I got into some trouble just before the last hold. It's one of the situation that you just go for it using one leg and one arm, but not a dyno.

Woot!

-Very happy Stoves

ceebo

Mar 25, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #31 of 40 (4670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Stoves wrote:
Development: Huge milestone! After a 2 days of projecting into a single move I finished my first v4!

The problem started with a dyno which is my strongest point. The jump itself wasent the bad but they way how you came into the hold was slimy as fuck! You had to use both hands to grab it, grabbing from the side. You were facing the wall but you had to jump to the side. Very fishy.

Sometimes I was able to grab the hold for a 2-3 seconds and had to let it go because i was swinging to much. Keeping my core tight was key to grab that hold.

After grabbing that sleazy hold I learned that I have to do a pull up in order to stop swinging.

The next two hold above were fairly easy but I got into some trouble just before the last hold. It's one of the situation that you just go for it using one leg and one arm, but not a dyno.

Woot!

-Very happy Stoves

You sound like a fun person to climb with. I find your enthusiasm inspiring, i really do.

As for the last move, did you mean a flagged position?. If not, and your unsure of the many variants, their worth looking into. Would make that last move allot easier (assuming your doing it in the way i imagine).

I don't mean to undermine your ability, just trying to help.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 25, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #32 of 40 (4666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stoves wrote:

Woot!

-Very happy Stoves

Good job, but with your trip coming up, don't you think you should be focusing on lead climbing Wink

Josh

spikeddem

Mar 25, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #33 of 40 (4659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Stoves wrote:

Woot!

-Very happy Stoves
Definitely sounds V4- to me. Sorry, man.

ceebo

Mar 25, 2011, 4:00 PM
Post #34 of 40 (4644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Please help, stuck at v2+ and not getting any better [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Stoves wrote:

Woot!

-Very happy Stoves

I never knew the SCC covers superconscious telepathy training. I will have to read it again.

Is it before the part about positive encouragement or after?.

jbro_135

Mar 27, 2011, 3:50 AM
Post #35 of 40 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Please help, stuck at v2+ and not getting any better [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Stoves wrote:

Woot!

-Very happy Stoves

yeah i flashed it...

freezorburn

Mar 29, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #36 of 40 (4466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Please help, stuck at v2+ and not getting any better [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
20-something sessions and you're still only climbing V2?! You'd better hurry up. The send train is leaving the station. Tongue

Laugh Yeah what j_ung said. Whats the Rush, Your doing great.

mr.tastycakes

Mar 31, 2011, 4:49 PM
Post #37 of 40 (4418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Please help, stuck at v2+ and not getting any better [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
Stoves wrote:

Woot!

-Very happy Stoves

I never knew the SCC covers superconscious telepathy training. I will have to read it again.

Is it before the part about positive encouragement or after?.

Do you hear that? It's the sound of something going over your head.Tongue

freezorburn

Apr 29, 2011, 7:17 PM
Post #38 of 40 (4260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

"20-something sessions and you're still only climbing V2?!"

Crazy

1) Start Bouldering Check
2) Get really good really fast Check
3) hit a small stumbling block Check
4) Realize this may not be that easy. Check
5) Post on RockClimbing.com get a bunch of replies by highly qualified experts willing to help! Check Check

climber49er

May 11, 2011, 1:21 AM
Post #39 of 40 (4164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freezorburn] Please help, stuck at v2+ and not getting any better [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whenever I hit a bit of a block and don't feel like I'm progressing, I alternately focus like mad on technique on easier problems and then jump on a few problems that I have a hard time making one move on. The focus on technique often helps me to link a couple moves on the hard hard stuff which somehow works together to get me past the hump. That's just me though.

mushroom

May 12, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #40 of 40 (4101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stoves,

A couple things:
1. V3s require some bitchin' technique. I just sent one the other day that took the epitome of beta, using all sorts of rad footwork, drop knees, dead pointing crimps. Sometimes all you gotta do is sit there and empty your mind and let the answers come to you. Other times you gotta do some serious thought. We're talking about 5.11 here, bro!
2. Maybe you're whole body is weak. Try doing Mark Twight's 300 workout for a couple weeks (search for it on google). Perhaps what you need to do is develop foundational strength. What this means, is that your body cannot handle the workload required of sending V3. You need to focus on total fitness (big emphasis on TOTAL) so that your body can handle more work. This means strengthening your shoulders in all directions, building up your core, getting stronger quadriceps, et cetera. Your body is a giant puzzle of balance. You arms won't get stronger if your legs are wussy. This is the law of nature.

Good luck,

Nick

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook