RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

katja

Feb 23, 2010, 4:35 AM
Post #1 of 3 (3837 views)
Shortcut

Climbing around lake como, italy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greetings fellow climbers.. i am headed to the lake como region at the end of april.. looking for the best climbing , coolest towns , beautiful scenery, rad places to stay etc... I climbed in Arco a few years ago which was amazing.. does Como/Lecco compare?? Thank for any info anyone has.. it also appears the guidebooks are only in italian and german. Will have a car so I want to explore the area as well.. dont mind driving! thank you!!!

TarHeelEMT

Feb 23, 2010, 4:41 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [katja] Climbing around lake como, italy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just in Como for a couple of days this past summer. I brought my climbing stuff, hoping to meet up with some local climbers, but I was unsuccessful in my couple days there and kept myself occupied with deep water soloing.

There is a small sport area just north of Varenna. If you walk along the road north of town about a kilometer, the road goes through a couple of tunnels where the rock face is sheer down to the water. The crag I have in mind comes straight out of the lake at either the first or second tunnel and actually goes over the tunnel. It's hard to spot and a bit of a scramble down to the lake, but make your way down to water's edge at the tunnel entrances and see what you can find. Just north of the crag is a pretty good area for deep water bouldering, with one fun problem jutting out as a promontory at the northern edge (you can walk to the top of it from the crag area, or climb out of the water from the other side). That particular problem is good rock, but very sharp. The rest of it is pretty chossy, and I almost broke my ankle when I dislodged a flake.

I hope you have better luck finding climbing partners than I did. I didn't have a car, so I was pretty much stuck in Varenna, save for train travel.

theguy

Feb 23, 2010, 5:56 PM
Post #3 of 3 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [katja] Climbing around lake como, italy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Might be a little chilly for deep water soloing in April: those lakes are mountain-fed, and it's still ski season. There's fantastic climbing an hour east of Lake Como in Val di Mello, but will probably still be way too cold, since that's the Alps.

Try posting in the Eurofreaks forum, or go back-country skiing, or go south to Sardinia...

Ferris

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook