RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

theguy

Jul 6, 2010, 2:38 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1736 views)
Shortcut

Forum Hubris & "Accidents"/Epics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is hubris on forums an indicator of hubris in climbing, and therefore a predictor of "accident"/epic probability?

Discuss...

My recent off-line impressions are that a cavalier person is also a cavalier climber.

And in a recent poll many rc.commers seem to agree that they wouldn't feel safe climbing with either of two of rc.com's more outspoken members.

carabiner96

Jul 6, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Forum Hubris & "Accidents"/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
Is hubris on forums an indicator of hubris in climbing, and therefore a predictor of "accident"/epic probability?

Discuss...

My recent off-line impressions are that a cavalier person is also a cavalier climber.

And in a recent poll many rc.commers seem to agree that they wouldn't feel safe climbing with either of two of rc.com's more outspoken members.
Just because someone's outspoken doesn't mean they're not an idiot. Look at Limbaugh.

theguy

Jul 6, 2010, 3:10 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Forum Hubris & "Accidents"/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Just because someone's outspoken doesn't mean they're not an idiot. Look at Limbaugh.

Agreed: either my post was unclear, or you skimmed it, not that I'd ever imply that you're cavalier Tongue

carabiner96

Jul 6, 2010, 3:19 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Agreed: either my post was unclear, or you skimmed it, not that I'd ever imply that you're cavalier Tongue

I was referring to Majid and USNavy; it seems to me that you're trying to establish how LOUD someone is versus what they are like IRL...I've met a handful of RC.commers, and most of them are nothing like their online persona. In most cases, they're drunker and stinkier.

Most of my posts are in one thread, or about things other than climbing entirely. Lame, I know.

theguy

Jul 6, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
...I've met a handful of RC.commers, and most of them are nothing like their online persona. In most cases, they're drunker and stinkier.

So are you contending that internet anonymity breeds anomalous loud-mouthed behaviour, or that there is a correlation (e.g. same but stinkier, Rush Limbaugh)?

carabiner96 wrote:
Most of my posts are in one thread, or about things other than climbing entirely. Lame, I know.

Then thanks for participating in this somewhat climbing related thread Smile

And no, not lame, because IIRC, your posts are either well-considered, or even better, funny.

carabiner96

Jul 6, 2010, 4:07 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot what I was talking about.

dr_feelgood

Jul 6, 2010, 4:10 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I was referring to Majid and USNavy; it seems to me that you're trying to establish how LOUD someone is versus what they are like IRL...I've met a handful of RC.commers, and most of them are nothing like their online persona. In most cases, they're drunker and stinkier.

[madface]

markc

Jul 6, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Forum Hubris & "Accidents"/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

[madface]

I guess you're pointing out you're the rule rather than the exception?

lena_chita

Jul 6, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

[madface]

Don't get mad when someone points out the truth. Angelic

curt

Jul 6, 2010, 6:04 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I was referring to Majid and USNavy; it seems to me that you're trying to establish how LOUD someone is versus what they are like IRL...I've met a handful of RC.commers, and most of them are nothing like their online persona. In most cases, they're drunker and stinkier...

No. I don't stink. Cool

Curt

carabiner96

Jul 6, 2010, 6:16 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Forum Hubris & "Accidents"/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I was referring to Majid and USNavy; it seems to me that you're trying to establish how LOUD someone is versus what they are like IRL...I've met a handful of RC.commers, and most of them are nothing like their online persona. In most cases, they're drunker and stinkier...

No. I don't stink. Cool

Curt

Jury's still out on you!

moose_droppings

Jul 6, 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
curt wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

No. I don't stink. Cool

Curt

Jury's still out on you!

Notice he left 'drunker' in the mix though.

johnwesely

Jul 6, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

[madface]

For the record, Dr. Feelgood seemed sober enough when we climbed at the Gunks.

bill413

Jul 6, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Forum Hubris & "Accidents"/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
curt wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
theguy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

No. I don't stink. Cool

Curt

Jury's still out on you!

Notice he left 'drunker' in the mix though.

Well, duh.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook