RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

toller

Mar 26, 2015, 5:52 PM
Post #1 of 3 (5557 views)
Shortcut

Locking biners for boat moorings?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had to give up climbing a few years ago because of arthritic toes. I held onto my gear hoping one of my sons would be interested, but they just aren't. I would not buy used gear, so I figure other people won't either.

I need some large shackles to attach a buoy to a mooring line, and a few similar things. Locking biners would work well. Any reason this wouldn't work out in fresh water?

I figure they would have to be locking or they would open up if the spring failed.

kennoyce

Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM
Post #2 of 3 (5473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toller] Locking biners for boat moorings? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

toller wrote:
I had to give up climbing a few years ago because of arthritic toes. I held onto my gear hoping one of my sons would be interested, but they just aren't. I would not buy used gear, so I figure other people won't either.

I need some large shackles to attach a buoy to a mooring line, and a few similar things. Locking biners would work well. Any reason this wouldn't work out in fresh water?

I figure they would have to be locking or they would open up if the spring failed.

Don't know enough about boating to answer your question, but as long as it's fresh water I can't think of any problems.

That being said, people buy and sell used climbing gear all the time. Go post it up over at MountainProject and I'm sure you can unload anything that you don't want for a fair price.

billcoe_

Mar 27, 2015, 4:28 PM
Post #3 of 3 (5463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toller] Locking biners for boat moorings? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

toller wrote:
I need some large shackles to attach a buoy to a mooring line, and a few similar things. ...

Where is JT512 to discuss this faulty reasoning? People buy used gear all the time, I bought used Metolius cams for my son as a Christmas present. Folks even buy USED ropes! (not moi) Scroll this: http://www.mountainproject.com/...le--wanted/103989416

BTW, I use retired climbing biners on my boat all the time. (Saltwater). Works great.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook