RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

canadianclimber

Jun 10, 2002, 2:49 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Lucky Equipment?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

has anyone ever heard of the climbing equipment manufacturer Lucky? They make really inexpensive carabiners but i dont want to buy them if they are no good. If you have used them or know anything about them please tell me. Thanks

Partner tim

Jun 10, 2002, 2:55 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Lucky Equipment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time I checked they were UIAA certified and good enough for their biners etc. to pass the usual battery of safety tests. I think Metolius has been doing their US distribution, which is another good sign. If I hadn't been on a Neutrinos (and now JC's) tear when I last shopped for free biners, I might have bought some. They weren't bad feeling in my hands. But...

Whether you like them or not is personal preference.

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-06-09 19:59 ]

nutterd

Jun 10, 2002, 3:30 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a handful of quickdraws with Lucky biners I've used for...oh, like 6 or 7 years now. The sole U.S. distributor used to be Phil from Clipper City in Baltimore (before it burned down). Don't know if anyone still distributes them. I'd still buy them if they were readily available, especially since not every Joe Schmoe has them, they're tough to get mixed up with other's draws.

canadianclimber

Jun 10, 2002, 3:34 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found them at Mountain Equipment Co-op here in Canada. I had never heard of them before i saw them in the catalogue

newtocalgary

Jun 10, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lucky is made by the same guy that made black diamond biners he started his own company and if you look at his gear its near identicle to BD's but he also make full rack equipment including nut cams etc they are great quality and cheaper than comp I have numerous

jtcronk

Jun 10, 2002, 5:26 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used Lucky 'biners for a few years now. I also used a pair of Lucky 007 ice tools for a couple seasons as well. Their stuff is certified and functions well at a low price.

Like was previously mentioned, in the US their gear is marketed with the Metolius logo on it. Still made in Spain by Lucky though. Hope this helps!

dynomaster

Jun 10, 2002, 3:42 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought 15 quickdraws from them about two months ago. I haven't climbed on them yet, but the quality is good. I've been using the biners to setup long slacklines, and they work quite well. I do not like the slings themselves because the rubber piece that holds the bent gate in place is on the inside of the sling as opposed to outside. This causes the rubber to deform when the sling is weighted, and so it is a piece of crap. They basically break off as soon as you weight them. It does not affect the sling structurally though, and I don't really need the biner keepers anyways.

Dyno On
Andy

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook