Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

anykineclimb

Aug 18, 2005, 7:10 AM
Post #76 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mad Rock. Name the new Rubber contest. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This suggestion may be a bit extreme, but seems to work for another site I frequent about as much as this place.

To be able to edit ANY of your post (including the thread title) , you need to be a paying member of the site. This grants you editing priveledges and access to members only areas also.

I really don't expect RC.com to take such measures but I think it would be a great idea to support the site.

If anything, I feel the thread title should only be edited by moderators.

kubi

Aug 18, 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #77 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thread titles should be editable, for all the reasons veganboyjosh mentioned. Personally, I don't care if someone regrets their thread and wants to hide it, go ahead and let them. The ability to get rid of stupid/misspelled/unclear titles far outweighs any negatives.

Partner jammer

Aug 18, 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #78 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Editing the title of a thread has it's good points, as mentioned, but how many times can the OP change the name??? It could be turned into "Find The Thread" day when trying to follow a certain topic. How would you, as a coder, handle the tracking issue? When a user is following a thread and the OP changes it (1 or many times), how will this effect the "Threads You Are Watching" feature?

I agree with Curt. The OP should have the ability to request a thread name change, but leaving it in the hands of the users will cause problems that will give the mods and coders a complete hell-hole to work in. Then there are those posters who love to play their little games and this would just be another tool for them to fuck with the rest of us.

Sometimes less power to the people is the correct course of action to take ... this is one of them!

Alan

Partner j_ung

Aug 18, 2005, 1:44 PM
Post #79 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree, Alan. OPs have always been able to edit their thread titles and this is the first time we've really had a problem with it. Obviously, there are some pitfalls to this policy, as this thread demonstrates, but I think those are exceptions, not rules. And indeed, as we've seen here, the community is more than able to police itself when things get out of hand. Given this thread's history, how many of us will now go off and change thread titles to suit our whims? I won't!

On the whole, I'd rather leave you all the responsibility for your own thread titles. I certainly don't want it.

Partner jammer

Aug 18, 2005, 1:53 PM
Post #80 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spoken like a true Admin :wink:

I still have concerns but bow to the experienced :)

dingus

Aug 18, 2005, 1:54 PM
Post #81 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To be able to edit ANY of your post (including the thread title) , you need to be a paying member of the site. This grants you editing priveledges and access to members only areas also.

I don't want access to members areas only and I'll be damned if I am going to pay to edit my own words. I'd just as soon keep them to myself.

DMT

edge

Aug 18, 2005, 1:56 PM
Post #82 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, since the "Women of RC.com" thread has slipped off the main page, I am considering re-naming it "What shoes should I use for trad?"

dingus

Aug 18, 2005, 1:57 PM
Post #83 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wah! Why is it every time some of you get your panties in a bunch and disapprove of what someone else said, the first thing you reach for is censorship? Huh? HUH???

"He can't say THAT! I demand his words be DELETED!' What a bunch of horseshit!

"MOMMY! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! HE CHANGED THE THREAD TITLE! THAT'S NOT FAIR!"

DMT

freeskicolorado

Aug 18, 2005, 2:07 PM
Post #84 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree dingus, no need to call for more censorship. In this case, the fact that censorship was kept to a minimum was really what allowed the OP to embarass himself as much as he did. His offhand insult of a customer was a mistake, but his efforts to cover it up were the really telling part of it all.

veganboyjosh

Aug 18, 2005, 2:20 PM
Post #85 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Titles should be open for editing by the OP, but the new title should be followed by the old title in parentheses (was:Old Title) so that you know what it used to be.

Following that, the title of this thread would be Smart Ass Comments (was: Mad Rock. Name the new Rubber contest.)

In any case, noone was fooled by this title change.

this seems to solve both sides of the issue.

op's get to edit the piss outta their posts, titles included, and those of us who aren't updating the front page every 17 seconds can still find and follow threads we're interested in.

Aug 18, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #86 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems to me the only reason an OP would change the title of their thread is to:
1) cover up a dumbass mistake or comment (i.e.- fix their karma)
2) correct a spelling/grammar error
3) clarify the intent of the thread

Only one of the above listed reasons is nefarious and a bold attempt to save face in the event of immenent or mortal danger to one's self or company. :roll:

I post to a variety of other forums (i have too many hobbies) and have in the past changed a title because of my own ineptitude about spelling or simply making an honest mistake in regard to a date or location. In these cases it was great to be able to mod the thread title or a date in my original post to eliminate confusion, and this should be considered.

Also, this sort of reminds me of the laws & rules only work on the people who obey them theory. I can't think of any good reason why someone would change a thread title completely except to hide their own ridiculous mistake or complete lack of tact and accountability. So, the only time someone is going to change a thread title is when they want to hide it... but obviously the readers of RC.com are a bit too savvy to allow this to happen.

Cheers,
Greg S.

Partner abe_ascends

Aug 18, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #87 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Titles should be open for editing by the OP, but the new title should be followed by the old title in parentheses (was:Old Title) so that you know what it used to be.

Following that, the title of this thread would be Smart Ass Comments (was: Mad Rock. Name the new Rubber contest.)

In any case, noone was fooled by this title change.

Personally, I think that's a great idea. However, I wonder what would happen if the OP edited the thread more than once. You'd end up with a title that could potentially continue on indefinitely. Perhaps allowing the OP to edit the title only once (say, when the thread starts to take shape and form a definite direction of conversation) would be a worthy solution?

madrock

Aug 18, 2005, 4:54 PM
Post #88 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Edits by the rockclimbing.com staff????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as the webmasters have the power to edit (which was done to me) what we are saying we should have the same right.

I edited the thread due to interference by the Moderators.

Joe Garland

edge

Aug 18, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #89 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Re: Edits by the rockclimbing.com staff????? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Joe Garland

Details, please, or I will call bullsh!t.

saskrock

Aug 18, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #90 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that this entire thread speaks loud and clear and this "Community" or lack there of. I also think this is the oppurtunity that all you forum as@#$#es have been looking for. Finally a rep from a company slips up and now everyone can get in a few deep shots. Honestly, there may be problems with durability from mad rock, but does that mean everyone needs to get in the Hating bandwagon. Lets all go get offened if someone makes a sub 5.10 remark, like really if your so offened work hard and climb harder other wise suck it up. Sometimes its really hard to enjoy this forum with all the smart asses and bullshit you have to go through to get any content.

vegastradguy

Aug 18, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #91 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As long as the webmasters have the power to edit (which was done to me) what we are saying we should have the same right.

Joe Garland

bullshit. phil already posted rc.com's stand on the thread.

sack up and apologize for being a dick, it'll get you alot further than you might think.

Aug 18, 2005, 5:52 PM
Post #92 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It isn't so much a hatred bandwagon as a sort of hatred VW micro bus, actually.

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Crap-Graph.jpg

Partner j_ung

Aug 18, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #93 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Joe Garland

Details, please, or I will call bullsh!t.

I'm also more than a little curious.

curt

Aug 18, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #94 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that this entire thread speaks loud and clear and this "Community" or lack there of. I also think this is the oppurtunity that all you forum as@#$#es have been looking for. Finally a rep from a company slips up and now everyone can get in a few deep shots. Honestly, there may be problems with durability from mad rock, but does that mean everyone needs to get in the Hating bandwagon. Lets all go get offened if someone makes a sub 5.10 remark, like really if your so offened work hard and climb harder other wise suck it up. Sometimes its really hard to enjoy this forum with all the smart asses and s--- you have to go through to get any content.

STFU n00b. :boring: I got yer "content" right here.

Curt

philfell

Aug 18, 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #95 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Joe Garland

You seem to be digging yourself deeper. Back up your statement please.

edited for spelling, not because of mods.

Partner tim

Aug 18, 2005, 6:25 PM
Post #96 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

And of course, you do. Mind you, nobody else has the right or the ability to edit your post itself; the title of a multi-author work (like this thread) is another story. Given that many people do not assign any identifying features to some types of threads that really do need them (posts about climbing areas, postings of events, etc.), the option is available for moderators and admins to tidy up the title, dates, links, and so forth. While it is not inconceivable that someone could change the title of the thread, your credibility is suspect, so you're going to have to at least produce some details if you want anyone besides the tinfoil-hat crowd to believe you.

You've sometimes been difficult to work with in the past; nonetheless, Mad Rock has succeeded due to an excellent business strategy (redefining pricing for climbing shoes), and I can't fault you for wanting to bury a public misstep. But I'm not going to stand by and watch you try to blame this on the Evil Jackbooted Moderators without providing any details. All of this smells like an attempt to deflect attention from your impulsive responses.

In reply to:

Kindly explain. I say you edited the title after being called out on your acerbic remarks to potential customers, and then tried to blame it on the mods. This isn't your site, Joe. We run it for the benefit of the community, not for the benefit of advertisers and former advertisers who want to slag their customers in public. How hard do you climb?

veganboyjosh

Aug 18, 2005, 6:32 PM
Post #97 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It isn't so much a hatred bandwagon as a sort of hatred VW micro bus, actually.

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Crap-Graph.jpg

this rules. had i a trophy to give, twould be given to you, karma.

thinksinpictures

Aug 18, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #98 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if Joe realizes that probably 90% of the damage he's done to his company in the last day or so would be fixed by a simple admission of guilt and an apology.

Partner sevrdhed

Aug 18, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #99 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

And of course, you do. Mind you, nobody else has the right or the ability to edit your post itself; the title of a multi-author work (like this thread) is another story. Given that many people do not assign any identifying features to some types of threads that really do need them (posts about climbing areas, postings of events, etc.), the option is available for moderators and admins to tidy up the title, dates, links, and so forth. While it is not inconceivable that someone could change the title of the thread, your credibility is suspect, so you're going to have to at least produce some details if you want anyone besides the tinfoil-hat crowd to believe you.

You've sometimes been difficult to work with in the past; nonetheless, Mad Rock has succeeded due to an excellent business strategy (redefining pricing for climbing shoes), and I can't fault you for wanting to bury a public misstep. But I'm not going to stand by and watch you try to blame this on the Evil Jackbooted Moderators without providing any details. All of this smells like an attempt to deflect attention from your impulsive responses.

In reply to:

Kindly explain. I say you edited the title after being called out on your acerbic remarks to potential customers, and then tried to blame it on the mods. This isn't your site, Joe. We run it for the benefit of the community, not for the benefit of advertisers and former advertisers who want to slag their customers in public. How hard do you climb?

What did the five fingers say to the face? Slaaaaaap! Diss on Joe.

This kind of thread is what keeps me coming back to RC.com. (And the fact that I work on the internet for 8 hours every day.)

Steve

Editted to add: Some evil moderator must have added that "How smart I am today" picture after I originally posted, because I would have commented on it otherwise.... it's absolutely hilarious!

Aug 18, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #100 of 169 (19036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

veganboyjosh & sevrhed: I offer my most humble thanks. I must admit that I have been waiting to use that picture for quite some time. No evil moderators here, just a little karma.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook