RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

YounginAyo

May 7, 2015, 3:10 PM
Post #1 of 5 (8946 views)
Shortcut

Help Identify these bolts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey whats up fam,

I recently purchased an old lot of bolts/hangers from a local shop for a very good price.

These are all 3/8 inch bolts. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if these are Stainless based on the design? (I currently only use powers 5 pc PS bolts)

Here are some pics..

kennoyce

May 7, 2015, 3:52 PM
Post #2 of 5 (8934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [YounginAyo] Help Identify these bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YounginAyo wrote:
Hey whats up fam,

I recently purchased an old lot of bolts/hangers from a local shop for a very good price.

These are all 3/8 inch bolts. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if these are Stainless based on the design? (I currently only use powers 5 pc PS bolts)

Sorry to tell you that none of the bolts pictured are stainless. The top group appears to be confast wedge anchors and aren't the best, but aren't the worst either, the middle group appears to be standard red heads, and the bottom four bolts are certainly not suitable for rock climbing use.

Kinobi

Jul 7, 2015, 6:29 AM
Post #3 of 5 (8237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The top ones appears to be stainless (painted). You should have something marked on the nut (A4 or A2 in Europe). Check them.
The other ones are zinc plated.

As far concerning painting stainless read here...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2262624;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Ciao,
E

kennoyce

Jul 7, 2015, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 5 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kinobi] Help Identify these bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kinobi wrote:
The top ones appears to be stainless (painted). You should have something marked on the nut (A4 or A2 in Europe). Check them.
The other ones are zinc plated.

As far concerning painting stainless read here...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2262624;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Ciao,
E

The top ones could be stainless, but I don't think they are. They lack the typical blueish cast that you see from zinc plating, but if you look at the color of the concrete in the pics it's obvious that the white balance is off when comparing them to the concrete in the lower images, and if you adjusted the white balance they would have the same blueish cast. The biggest thing that screams zinc plated in the top photos is the shininess of the cones, I've never seen a stainless bolt that has a cone as shiny as what is pictured there.

miklaw

Jul 8, 2015, 9:48 AM
Post #5 of 5 (8131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An easy check for stainless (though not what grade of stainless) is to put a magnet on them, most stainless (including the common 304 and 316) are non-magnetic.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook