RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

dlitvak

Oct 1, 2005, 8:29 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

PERU: new Cordillera Blanca access restrictions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi

Looks like the changes to access rules for Huascaran National Park are coming. They are a bit more than simple access fees!

From American Alpine Club News Letter, it sounds like everyone will have access only to the most popular routes. No new route creation would be allowed! Also foreigners would have to hire a certified Peruvian guide to climb.

Please protest these new rules!
You can find more info here:
http://www.americanalpineclub.org/docs/enews_2005_September.htm#AAC%20OPPOSES%20NEW%20REGS%20IN%20CORDILLERA%20BLANCA

roy_hinkley_jr

Oct 1, 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Re: PERU: new Cordillera Blanca access restrictions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Protest? They should be applauded for taking care of the environmental legacy and improving their economy. The regulations would have minimal impact on foreign alpine climbers who, by definition, are wealthy. Can't afford a guide? BFD go somewhere else. And very few are interested in scratching out a few lame new routes in a climbed-out range.

Just another example of Americans meddling in another country's best interest for their own gain. The AAC should be ashamed for fighting this.

iceisnice

Oct 1, 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i understand the need to impose limitations, but, some of them seem to be a little too much. i won't protest it. as was stated above....it is their country, they can do whatever they want and americans need to realize they don't own the world. however, i do hope that they change the policy to something that regulates the area, but still makes if feasible and enjoyable for the non-wealthy. from my visit to the cordillera it seemed like more of the problems originated from overly large groups trashing the area. i do have to disagree with the other statement though. there are plenty of routes to be done there. they are the more extreme routes that people have put up in the last couple of years. its a huge dilema. i love that area, but i also saw what climbers and trekkers were doing to it (especially to the native culture).

dlitvak

Oct 6, 2005, 2:30 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just another example of Americans meddling in another country's best interest for their own gain. The AAC should be ashamed for fighting this.

What gain for Americans?? There are more people from other parts of the world than those from US in Huaraz. During my several stays, I hardly met any American!

Now wealthy climbers can afford a guide. But most of the climbers are not wealthy anywhere in the world! The guides will drive up the price once they feel they must be hired. The prices can go up easily into 100 USD per day just for a guide that you may not need!

Also, limiting routes to be climbed only to popular ones will not solve overcrowding! Just the reverse.

You are completely wrong in saying that the potential of Blanca range is low! Every year AAC publishes new routes done in the area.

I do not object to protecting environment. I just don't like it being closed to enjoyment of people.

Americans do not meddle here. Some US climbers like me verbally protest.

Peace
D.

pmagistro

Nov 16, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone have updated information on this? I found this article:
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/..._det.asp?item_id=877 but am wondering what the status is?

Thanks!
Phil

pmagistro

Nov 16, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone have updated information on this? I found this article:
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/..._det.asp?item_id=877 but am wondering what the status is?

Thanks!
Phil

jackscoldsweat

Nov 21, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook