Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

potreroed

Jan 3, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #26 of 66 (3261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Deano33 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
potreroed wrote:
Anyone else out there tie in with a trident loop?

WTF! You just made that up.

Jay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trident_loop
My google works.

Too bad your sense of humor doesn't.

Jay
I laffed.
Looks like a pretty rad tie-in, though. How difficult is untying it after a few falls?

You can hang on a trident loop all day and it is easy to untie.

Partner rgold

Jan 3, 2011, 6:20 PM
Post #27 of 66 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I started out using a bowline back in the day when you just tied the rope around your waist. Tried the figure-8 for a brief while and went back to the bowline, which is a little more compact and can be untied after loading without a struggle.

I do think that, in the climbing world, "bowline" should mean "bowline with Yosemite finish." A plain bowline without the Yosemite finish (which was in use long before Yosemite climbers started using it) has two disadvantages. (1) It can loosen, especially under intermittent loading, and (2) it will not withstand ring-loading.

Personally, I add a stopper knot to the Yosemite finish to guarantee ring-loading strength and stability.

I use a single bowline for top-roping (my gym allows them) and a double-bowline for lead climbing. It is true that the double bowline is stronger, but this is irrelevant---climbing ropes don't break in general and don't break at the knot in particular.

The reason I use the double bowline outdoors is that it has been determined that knots absorb a bit of fall energy and I think---without any test evidence---that the extra turn in the double bowline will allow for more absorbing action.

I think the ability to check a bowline is way overemphasized. Any wrong method of tying falls apart in the hand immediately. The only failures I can imagine would be a result of using a bowline without the Yosemite finish (not a climbing knot according to my definition) and then not noticing that it had loosened.

vegastradguy

Jan 3, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #28 of 66 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
(nobody ive seen climbing below .12 on bolts uses it)

Would it be spraying for me to say I tie in with the bowline?

And would it be deceptive of me to tie in with a bowline while climbing with a new partner? They may think I climb harder than I do.

yes to both, which is why i ALWAYS tie in with a double bowline when climbing with new partners or noobs- impressive and confusing, the knot makes me look much stronger than i actually am.

rgold wrote:

I think the ability to check a bowline is way overemphasized. Any wrong method of tying falls apart in the hand immediately. The only failures I can imagine would be a result of using a bowline without the Yosemite finish (not a climbing knot according to my definition) and then not noticing that it had loosened.

i agree- but i think its more of an issue that climbers dont recognize the knot than necessarily checking it. before i sacked up and learned the knot, if i had a partner who used it, i just told them to be confident that they tied it correctly, as i was unfamiliar with the knot. most of the time they re-checked and climbed on. other times, they switched to a fig-8. whatever worked for them mentally if fine with me.

sungam

Jan 4, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #29 of 66 (3182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Deano33 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay
My google works.

Jay
I laffed.
Looks like a pretty rad tie-in, though. How difficult is untying it after a few falls?

If I tie in with one will people think I put up badass lines in El Potrero?Angelic

potreroed

Jan 4, 2011, 1:05 AM
Post #30 of 66 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
potreroed wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Deano33 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay
My google works.

Jay
I laffed.

If I tie in with one will people think I put up badass lines in El Potrero?Angelic

Prolly not. You gotta put up the badass routes first.

sungam

Jan 4, 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #31 of 66 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
sungam wrote:
potreroed wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Deano33 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay
My google works.

Jay
I laffed.

Prolly not. You gotta put up the badass routes first.
Darn. Well, I guy can dream.

brokesomeribs

Jan 4, 2011, 8:21 PM
Post #32 of 66 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phang_nga] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
I can't see a properly tied bowline ever coming undone.

The bowline is a hitch, not a knot. Hitches by definition are temporary knots. They come untied, particularly under cyclical loading.

A double bowline is probably the safest way to tie in after a figure 8. Tying a single bowline with a backup fisherman's knot around the ring of the bowline is a mediocre second.

I use a double bowline in the gym and spring/summer/fall, but on ice/alpine i find that the double bowline doesn't take kindly to frozen ropes, so I stick a with a figure 8 whenever ice or snow is on the menu for the day. I've had my double bowline get alarmingly loose over a day of ice climbing.

MS1

Jan 4, 2011, 9:44 PM
Post #33 of 66 (3095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
phang_nga wrote:

The bowline is a hitch, not a knot. Hitches by definition are temporary knots. They come untied, particularly under cyclical loading.

A double bowline is probably the safest way to tie in after a figure 8. Tying a single bowline with a backup fisherman's knot around the ring of the bowline is a mediocre second.

I use a double bowline in the gym and spring/summer/fall, but on ice/alpine i find that the double bowline doesn't take kindly to frozen ropes, so I stick a with a figure 8 whenever ice or snow is on the menu for the day. I've had my double bowline get alarmingly loose over a day of ice climbing.

The bowline is generally referred to as a knot, not a hitch, and a single bowline with a well-secured back-up knot is extremely secure and strong enough for climbing purposes. Rgold's post up above provides the only reasonably good explanation that I've seen for why one might prefer a double bowline. I've climbed using a single, backed-up bowline as my primary tie-in for a few years, and I've never found it too loose after climbing.

billcoe_

Jan 4, 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #34 of 66 (3077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
I've climbed using a single, backed-up bowline as my primary tie-in for a few years, and I've never found it too loose after climbing.

The fact that it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't change the fact that properly tied (single) Bowlines have become untied and resulted in several fatality's.

I don't recall hearing of a double bowline untied on route yet, not to say it hasn't occurred.

MS1

Jan 4, 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #35 of 66 (3069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
MS1 wrote:
I've climbed using a single, backed-up bowline as my primary tie-in for a few years, and I've never found it too loose after climbing.

The fact that it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't change the fact that properly tied (single) Bowlines have become untied and resulted in several fatality's.

I don't recall hearing of a double bowline untied on route yet, not to say it hasn't occurred.

Let me reemphasize the words "backed-up." I'm not aware of any reported incidents of a properly backed-up bowline coming untied on route. But if you can point me to one, I'll be interested.

Deano33

Jan 5, 2011, 1:47 AM
Post #36 of 66 (3040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A bowline with a good tie off is as good as any knot, in my opinion. After I doing alittle more research its a popular know.
My quesiton has been answered, i guess ill tie what tickles my fancy at the time.
Goes back to what I was saying earlier, if you trust the water for tieing webbing and the bowline for anchor points to me its suitable to tie off on.

altelis

Jan 5, 2011, 2:07 AM
Post #37 of 66 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
phang_nga wrote:

Both hitches and loop-knots are tied around objects. It's my understanding (which can of course be wrong) that the difference b/w a hitch and a loop-knot comes down to what happens when/if the object in the middle is removed. A knot will remain the same and a hitch will collapse.

Lets say you tie a clove hitch around a stake in the ground and a figure eight follow-through around another stake.

When you pull the stakes out and pick up the rope with the clove hitch in it you will end up just holding a straight rope with nothing in it.

When you pull the stakes out and pick up the rope with the figure-eight in it you will end up holding a piece of rope with the figure-eight still tied in the end.

(Assuming this classification is correct), a bowline would certainly be a knot not a hitch.

phang_nga

Jan 5, 2011, 2:38 AM
Post #38 of 66 (3025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
phang_nga wrote:

Properly tied bowlines don't come undone, especially with a backup knot. I can see no way that a bowline can come undone unless the tag end is too short... even without a backup knot. The key is making the knot tight when you tie it.

I've tied hundreds of bowlines and never even had one loosen up. Maybe some more slippery rope has a higher possibility of coming lose. I've never experienced that personally.

roy_hinkley_jr

Jan 5, 2011, 9:36 PM
Post #39 of 66 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
Properly tied bowlines don't come undone, especially with a backup knot. I can see no way that a bowline can come undone unless the tag end is too short... even without a backup knot. The key is making the knot tight when you tie it.

I've tied hundreds of bowlines and never even had one loosen up. Maybe some more slippery rope has a higher possibility of coming lose. I've never experienced that personally.

It's actually more of a problem with stiff ropes and repeated little tugs. There's no real reason to use a double bowline instead of a single. Both are equally secure and both require a good backup. The term "Yosemite finish" is way too vague since it means different things to different people and in different books. A single fisherman snugged up close to the bowline is as good as anything.

I have yet to climb in a gym that wouldn't let me use a bowline. If there are any, it's like less to do with insurance and more to do with customers who can't tie a figure 8 without half of it left in the rope.

knudenoggin

Jan 7, 2011, 4:21 AM
Post #40 of 66 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:

This is wrong in all ways : bowlines are eye-knots which are (just)
"knots" by the old, inadequate trad. classification (here and there
one can see the string "bowline hitch" used when the knot is shown
being tied around something); hitches are knots tied to and in need
of an object for their integrity (they might evaporate, like a clove
hitch, on the object's removal, or just become a knot (such as the
strangle knot --which is what one might tie off a bowline's tail with,
NOT a "single fisherman" or whathaveyou),
and neither hitches nor knots are assured of any temporariness
(though in some cases one should prefer a splice) --they can become
"welded" permanent for a use.

In reply to:
I've had my double bowline get alarmingly loose over a day of ice climbing.

Then might try to secure it, quite simply, by wrapping the tail
around the double-turn of the knot and binding that. It's called
thus the "End-Bound Dlb. Bowline", viewable in a crude sketch
here: http://i3.tinypic.com/wjwh1t.jpg
--along with two other simple ways to secure a bowline.

phang_nga wrote:

I'm quite surprised to see someone say that their bowlines
without any further securing have never loosened; I find many
ropes so firm-stiff-smooth/slick that the bowline never gets
comfortably set, without some help.

As for the "Trident loop", that is an unwanted awkwardness.
If you're game for something non-traditional, there are many
better choices. Not long ago, someone posted some good
results with Rosenthal's "Zeppelin" end-2-end knot used in
eye-knot form --here : http://www.treebuzz.com/...2823&Main=229971

*kN*

wiki

Jan 7, 2011, 6:31 AM
Post #41 of 66 (2936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:

I tie in with a 3/4 fishermans which is very similar.

sp115

Jan 7, 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #42 of 66 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wiki wrote:
potreroed wrote:

I tie in with a 3/4 fishermans which is very similar.

Isn't that a slip knot?

phang_nga

Jan 7, 2011, 3:38 PM
Post #43 of 66 (2905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knudenoggin wrote:
I'm quite surprised to see someone say that their bowlines without any further securing have never loosened; I find many
ropes so firm-stiff-smooth/slick that the bowline never gets comfortably set, without some help

Oh, I always tie a back-up knot in the tag end. Even with that though, I"ve personally never had a bowline come loose. Maybe I take extra care in setting each bend in the knot or something, I don't know. I have no reason to doubt those who have had problems with their knots becoming loose.

It would be interesting if we were side-by-side tying the knot to see if there was any (minor?) difference in the process.

sp115

Jan 7, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #44 of 66 (2899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
knudenoggin wrote:
I'm quite surprised to see someone say that their bowlines without any further securing have never loosened; I find many
ropes so firm-stiff-smooth/slick that the bowline never gets comfortably set, without some help

Oh, I always tie a back-up knot in the tag end. Even with that though, I"ve personally never had a bowline come loose. Maybe I take extra care in setting each bend in the knot or something, I don't know. I have no reason to doubt those who have had problems with their knots becoming loose.

It would be interesting if we were side-by-side tying the knot to see if there was any (minor?) difference in the process.

There is at least one common variation of the simple bowline. I don't concern myself with difference because I tie in with the rethreaded version, but if you don't, it may be something you should consider.

"Standard" on left "Dutch" or "Cowboy" on right.

(Edit to correct labels)

(This post was edited by sp115 on Jan 7, 2011, 6:19 PM)
Attachments: Drawing1.jpg (24.1 KB)

cfnubbler

Jan 7, 2011, 4:41 PM
Post #45 of 66 (2882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
phang_nga wrote:

quote]

Good grief. Wrong.

jt512

Jan 7, 2011, 4:57 PM
Post #46 of 66 (2876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
knudenoggin wrote:

There is at least one common variation of the simple bowline. I don't concern myself with difference because I tie in with the rethreaded version, but if you don't, it may be something you should consider.

"Dutch" or "Cowboy" on left, "Standard" on right

You have the labels reversed.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 7, 2011, 5:02 PM)

roy_hinkley_jr

Jan 7, 2011, 5:31 PM
Post #47 of 66 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:

Actually, in kernmantle ropes, these variations have essentially the same strength/security. BITD when we used hawser laid goldline ropes for climbing, the outer bowline (on right) was indeed more prone to loosening due to the Z-twist of the rope. An S-twist rope would work better with the outer bowline.

Partner cracklover

Jan 7, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #48 of 66 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
That said- gyms dont allow the bowline

FWIW, these days if I'm leading, I exclusively tie in with a double bowline with a fisherman's backup. I'm sure it's not allowed in any of the gyms I've frequented, but I have not once yet have the staff ask me to use a fig-8 instead.

This even though I'm sure it's quite obvious to them even from a distance that I'm not tied in "correctly," since my tail goes down into my harness rather than up where it "should" be.

Your gyms may vary, but I think that if you know what you're doing, most gym staff will leave you be.

GO

sp115

Jan 7, 2011, 6:10 PM
Post #49 of 66 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sp115 wrote:

You have the labels reversed.

Jay

Sorry about that, good catch. Should be fixed above now.

sp115

Jan 7, 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #50 of 66 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Lets discuss knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
sp115 wrote:

Actually, in kernmantle ropes, these variations have essentially the same strength/security. BITD when we used hawser laid goldline ropes for climbing, the outer bowline (on right) was indeed more prone to loosening due to the Z-twist of the rope. An S-twist rope would work better with the outer bowline.

I only mentioned the variation because I was curious as to how it might effect the Yosemite Finish version.

(This post was edited by sp115 on Jan 7, 2011, 6:20 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook