RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

ebmudder

Mar 24, 2014, 3:21 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3300 views)
Shortcut

Women's Climbing Harness question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi lady climbers! My wife has expressed interest in learning to climb, so I got her a belay class in our local gym, and they gave her full body harness. She was very uncomfortable during the class and found it pressing on her woman bitz no matter how the instructor tried to adjust it.

She's quite petite at 4'11" with slim hips and a narrow pelvis. I took her to a local store and she tried on the BD Primrose SA, the Petzl Luna and Edelrid Jayne harnesses, but none of them were comfortable. The leg loops would ride up and cut uncomfortably into her you-know-where, to the point that she felt padded bike shorts would help (which I didn't think would be a good idea).

She was still sore from the climbing class, so I'm not sure how much it was the harness designs and/or adjustment, but I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this particular issue and has suggestions for other harnesses to try? The BD Primrose was the least painful of the three, but I don't want discomfort to drive her away from the sport before she's even tried it.

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

amarius

Mar 24, 2014, 5:20 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebmudder] Women's Climbing Harness question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Misty Mountain will build you a custom harness

lena_chita

Mar 25, 2014, 5:52 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebmudder] Women's Climbing Harness question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arc'teryx XS harness might be a good option. But pricey. She might also be in the range for kid-sized harnesses, such as BD wiz kid...

There are definitely many more harnesses out there than what she has tried. And they do all fit differently.

The problem with sizes on the far end of the height/weight spectrum is that most brick-and-mortar stores don't have a lot of harnesses in that size range. You might have to resort to ordering a harness online without trying, and returning it, if it doesn't fit, even though the normal advice is to always try a harness on (and hang in it) before you buy.

ebmudder

Mar 25, 2014, 5:54 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Women's Climbing Harness question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Lena_Chita: I think a child harness will be too small for her thighs, but I will keep looking in stores at different options...obviously there's no substitute for trying it on! I'm fortunate to have a lot of different stores in the area with climbing gear.

ebmudder

Mar 25, 2014, 5:55 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] Women's Climbing Harness question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amarius wrote:
Misty Mountain will build you a custom harness
thanks amarius: I called MM and they are sold at Rock'n'Snow in New Paltz, so I'll stop in there and have my wife try them on.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook