RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

gravitymaster

Mar 31, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3281 views)
Shortcut

ropes and silent partner...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm using a silent partner self-belay device, and I need a new rope. Since I need to carry much of the rope when soloing, I would like my new rope to be as light as possible. I also want it to have the smallest impact force, since a belayer can use dynamic techniques and not the silent partner. And durability is always of concern...

So I was thinking to buy the Beal Booster 9.7mm. Seem to be a good rope, but the instruction manual of the silent partner say to use it only with rope of 9.8mm to 11mm...
I know a camming device (soloist, soloaid, grigri...) would fail to work with a rope to small, but the silent partner use a clove hitch for blocking the rope.
Is it because they didn't test it on smaller rope or is there a danger to use it with à 9,7mm ? If anyone can help me, or have try it and would know the result of putting a 9,7mm rope on the silent partner, I would like to know. If not, I'll probably go with the silent parnert at the climbing shop and try it before a buy any lightweight rope.

Climb on !

gravitymaster

Apr 1, 2002, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3281 views)
Shortcut

ropes and silent partner... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, nobody seem to know, so I e-mail at Wren Industries. This is the e-mail they send me back.

"In response to your questions regarding the Silent Partner;
A 9.7 rope should work fine in the SP. The problem with going to a smaller rope is that when the device locks up in a fall, the smaller rope is harder to undo. This is why we recommend larger diameter ropes. Test the new rope on the ground with the SP to make sure it locks up to your satisfaction, and that you can undo the clove hitch on the drum if weighted heavily.
Hope this helps,
Wren Industries LTD "

So I think I'll go with the Beal 9,7mm. Exept if any of you have a better rope to recommend me.
Thanks anyway

Panibex

Jul 21, 2013, 8:15 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Panibex [In reply to]
Report this Post

sittingduck

Jul 21, 2013, 11:33 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Panibex] ropes and silent partner... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you look closely you will find that Gravitymaster posted that in 2002, 11 years ago.

Some time back there was an accident where a clove-hitch around a tree slipped. The investigation showed that a clove hitch will slip if it is tied around an object that has a diameter that is a lot larger than the diameter of the rope, like a tree. Might be relevant to your findings?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook