Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Indian Creek beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

colatownkid

Jan 7, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6253 views)
Shortcut

Indian Creek beta  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Moab: Indian_Creek)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on spending about a week at Indian Creek in mid-March (yep, spring break) and was hoping to get some more info.

1. What are the roads like to get to camping and the crags? Do I need a vehicle with 4WD and/or high clearance?

2. Are there group size, tent, or vehicle limits on campsites?

3. Is there cellphone service anywhere in the canyon? (Mostly for emergency use and/or to check in with folks back home.)

4. Where is the nearest place to re-supply water? I see an obvious reservoir on the map from the Friends of Indian Creek website, but it's on ranch land so I'm guessing that means it's off-limits. Do I have to go all the way back to Monticello?

5. Are fires permitted? If so, where might I find fire wood? I'm thinking it might be nice to have a fire going in the evenings for the cold temps.

6. What can I anticipate for weather during that time of year? Past annual averages only tell me so much. Would it be comfortable climbing? Would snow still be on the ground? Etc.

Partner camhead

Jan 7, 2011, 8:27 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Indian Creek beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. 4wd is nice, and mandatory if a flashflood takes out some of the crossings. Floods are fairly rare in the spring, however. You will be fine for 95% of the crags in a semi-high clearance 2wd. I've gotten everywhere I needed to go in a 2wd pickup.

2. Check the BLM's website for restrictions on camping, regulations are changing quite a bit given the area's rising popularity. There are plenty of places to disperse and camp, however.

3. No cell reception in the canyon. You can drive about 8-10 miles up and out of the canyon at the foot of the Abajo mtns., and get service.

4. You can resupply with water at the Needles Outpost, or in Canyonlands natl park, but it's almost as easy just to go into Monticello. You could also filter water from the stream easily after letting the mud settle out of it, though I've never heard of anyone doing this. Bring a 5gal jug and you'll be fine for several days.

5. Fires are permitted, but buy firewood in town. DO NOT strip down the local trees; too many people have been doing that, and they take 100s of years to get to their current state.

6. You could be climbing shirtless in the sun, or stuck in your tent in a snowstorm. All I will say for March is prepare for worse weather than you would expect.

marc801

Jan 7, 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Indian Creek beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
6. You could be climbing shirtless in the sun, or stuck in your tent in a snowstorm. All I will say for March is prepare for worse weather than you would expect.
Never underestimate how cold it can get in the high desert in evenings and at night, esp. in late winter/early spring.

Don't be surprised at a 50 degree temperature delta during the course of a day.

Partner cracklover

Jan 7, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good beta by camhead, but I'll weigh in with slightly different opinions in a couple places:

camhead wrote:
1. 4wd is nice, and mandatory if a flashflood takes out some of the crossings. Floods are fairly rare in the spring, however. You will be fine for 95% of the crags in a semi-high clearance 2wd. I've gotten everywhere I needed to go in a 2wd pickup.

The road to the Bridger Jacks campground and climbing area fords the creek, which may be pretty high in the spring. And further on it is very rough. Many vehicles would not make it without damage to the undercarriage. It's comparable to the road in to Black Velvet in Red Rocks - if you're familiar with that.

In reply to:
3. No cell reception in the canyon. You can drive about 8-10 miles up and out of the canyon at the foot of the Abajo mtns., and get service.

I can get cell coverage on the bluff next to the Pasture campground. I don't know, but I would suspect that you could get coverage at Hamburger rock, too.

Have fun!

GO

rtwilli4

Jan 7, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
1. What are the roads like to get to camping and the crags? Do I need a vehicle with 4WD and/or high clearance?

You'll need it to get to some walls, but not all. If you're only there for a week you could get by w/o it, and if you want to get somewhere that needs 4wd just ask if you can catch a ride. It would be nice to have if it's an option for you.

In reply to:
2. Are there group size, tent, or vehicle limits on campsites?

I've only camped at Creek Pasture. It's farther away than the other places but it's huge, and usually has porta-potties w/in walking distance. No limits here other than the 14 day thing which they don't really enforce.

In reply to:
3. Is there cellphone service anywhere in the canyon? (Mostly for emergency use and/or to check in with folks back home.)

It was spotty for me at Creek Pasture... for some reason the first place we chose to set up camp there was the best cell service I had. Other than that I had to drive past Newspaper Rock on the way to Moab/Montecello before I got any service. I had better service than my friends.

In reply to:
4. Where is the nearest place to re-supply water? I see an obvious reservoir on the map from the Friends of Indian Creek website, but it's on ranch land so I'm guessing that means it's off-limits. Do I have to go all the way back to Monticello?

We stocked up in Montecello at one of the gas stations... they had a spigot outside. The climbing shop in Moab has free water, as does the Shell station on the way out of town. I wouldn't drink anything around the ranch but that's just me.

In reply to:
5. Are fires permitted? If so, where might I find fire wood? I'm thinking it might be nice to have a fire going in the evenings for the cold temps.
They are not only permitted but essential. In March it could be down in the teens at night, or maybe not. Either way you'll need a fire every night. Get firewood in town and try not to gather it. We would get dead wood from a LONG ways away from the camp ground but you're not supposed to gather anything.

In reply to:
6. What can I anticipate for weather during that time of year? Past annual averages only tell me so much. Would it be comfortable climbing? Would snow still be on the ground? Etc.

Climbing in the sun is possible even if it's cold. It's the precip that you have to worry about. The rock doesn't dry fast and north facing walls are probably still out 'cuz of ice and snow. Be prepared for cold nights.

colatownkid

Jan 7, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the responses. While we're at it, anyone have recommendations on good guide books and/or back-up plans if the weather turns to crap? I've heard Moab can still be good even if the Creek is snowed in an miserable.

jmeizis

Jan 7, 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found the Bloom guide to be awesome and yes the weather in Moab can still be good even if it sucks in The Creek but it's like an hour away. It depends if it's just a little storm cloud or a front moving through the state.

It will be wicked cold at night, generally pretty nice during the day if it's not windy and you're in the sun.

I get to most crags in my car (a 2WD Hyundai Accent). Some places will lengthen your hike or be not possible though. Cliffs of Insanity, S. Six Shooter, The crags with the super classic climbs (Scarface, Supercrack, etc) those are easy to get to.

I had reception at Newspaper and the turnoff for Bridger Jack. Not real good at either place though.

(This post was edited by jmeizis on Jan 7, 2011, 11:18 PM)

Partner cracklover

Jan 7, 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #8 of 9 (6153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Indian Creek beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, i forgot you can get reception at the turnoff for Bridger Jacks (aka the line for the shitter).

GO

sspssp

Jan 8, 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Semi high clearance is nice. 4WD is not usually an issue. I have seen plenty of low clearance cars even when the river was high. One year, several cars stalled out (drove too fast and water came up the engine compartment) in the creek, but got hauled across with pickups no worse for the wear and that was a areally high year.

My experience has been that camp fires tend to be pretty communal. Showing up with some extra wood or beer is nice.

For mid-March, cold rain/snow is a bigger issue than heat. Sunny days are comfy, but even in good weather it can be long cold nights, especially hanging outside (versus being inside truck/van).

The Bloom guide is the one to get.

Have fun.

(This post was edited by sspssp on Jan 8, 2011, 12:07 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook