Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bolt Condition Update - Bolts missing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jeffkash

Jan 7, 2012, 7:49 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Bolt Condition Update - Bolts missing  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Point_Dume)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

2 of the 3 anchor bolts (sleeves still remain) for the middle routes on the main slab have been pulled "by hand" by someone who will remain anonymous, but who will probably happily tell you himself in person if you bump into him. Be advised that the lowest bolts on each of the face sport routes have been hammered flat and have not been replaced as previously stated and the highest lead bolt on the Arete route is a well corroded, half pulled out buttonhead, however the TR anchor for the Arete is still in good shape.

The middle routes can still take advantage of the one remaining bolt and the boulder just behind it gonna need some longer slings though. This has definitely caused an increase in the janky-ness and free-form anchors that are getting built up top, only increasing the risk, in my eyes, of some very serious accidents.

I know it has been previously mentioned that re-bolting is not accepted by the authorities in the area, but has there been any sort of appeal made to them recently? I would be willing to collaborate with those in the know to try to get this situation fixed since the current situation is becoming increasingly reckless and lends itself to inevitable accidents.

(This post was edited by jeffkash on Jan 7, 2012, 7:49 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook