Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping at Smith Rock
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

slablizard

Aug 30, 2004, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Camping at Smith Rock  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Smith_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi!
I was planning to go climb at Smith this labor day weekend. I'll love to go there and just climb, but most probably I will have to bring my wife and the kids, so my question is:

How much friendly to non-climbers the place is?

What kind of activitias there are in the park, other than climbing?

Are there showers in the camping?

My wife (was) a climber and the kids are 5 and 7 and pretty used to camping, they love Yosemite. How "fun" is to be there if you do not climb?

Thanks!

edge

Aug 30, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

edge moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

edge

Aug 30, 2004, 5:26 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping at Smith Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First, yes, there are showers.

As for other activities, I know it is popular for birders. Maybe find a kids book on birds, or flora, and challenge them to try and find the most. Maybe also give them each a disposable camera and try to get some "cool" shots.

Other than that, I think they will be limited to hiking. The river is supposed to be polluted with fertilizer run off, so that is out. I think if they are creative, it could be a very fun place to explore.

slablizard

Aug 30, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I'll see them more bike / horse riding than birdwatching.

You mean you can't even swim in the river?? That suks! :(

hemp22

Aug 30, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The misery ridge trail can be a nice day hike for them one day if their non-climbers.
The showers are at the bivy site which is in the park and is a pay camping site.
There's also a free campsite (Skull Hollow) about 15 minutes away.
I'd say that both are very friendly to non-climbers.

Keep in mind that Labor day weekend is the "Smith Rock Carnival", which will involve many booths/exhibitions by gear companies, etc, so it is bound to be extremely crowded at the campsites.

slablizard

Aug 30, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all! VEry useful info. Now let's see if I camn manage to book the campsite.

markd

Aug 30, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can also camp for free at steelhead falls. this river you can definitely swim in and there is some really good cliff jumping as well. you can pick up directions to it at redpoint climbers supply in terrebonne. as mentioned earlier in this thread, i would not swim in the crooked river at smith.

magpie

Aug 31, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's other parks around the area too. I'd love it there if I was a kid- the environment is so beautiful and lots of cool little caves and boulders to play around and explore. I've never been to Steelhead, but we'll have to check it out next time we go- we're always wanting a little swimming action but don't dare touch the crooked river. Thanks for the suggestion, markd!

It is going to be crazy labor day weekend, which will make camping harder to find and the rock packed, but I hear there'll also be some different events that might entertain the kids- slacklining and things like that.

Partner coylec

Sep 1, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #9 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks to all! VEry useful info. Now let's see if I camn manage to book the campsite.

Register when you get there. $4 per night per person, includes car parking and showers. And, since parking is $3 a day and showers are $2 ... it makes sense.

The river looks polluted. Foam. Feels a little slick ... kinda like dish liquid.

Lots of trails with great views.

There is a water foundation and spigget (sp?) at the bridge, so you don't have to hike down all your water. Tastes a little metallic if you're sensitive to that kind of thing (i am, but it was still drinkable).

coylec

sava6e

Sep 1, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #10 of 10 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as far as friendly everyone there at least when i was there , have been great and really friendly, as suggested earlier misery ridge is a nice hike , enjoy it as me and my climbing partner cleaned it up and re-did some of the steps up for the spring thing earlier this year, aloso there are restaurants about 5 minutes from smith, especially this mexican place cant remember what its called but its like almost next to the redpoint rockclimbing shop, plus the city of redmond has everything pretty much. actually the showers there are pretty nice and remember no campfires allowed, no fires at all, except stoves in the cooking area due to a fire that happened a few years ago, you'll see the damage when your hiking. and smith is pretty much climbing and hiking only as far as i know of. there is a rock gosh i cant remember the name but its all top rop and pretty fun some really easy routes for the novice climber, hey man enjoy, i'll be up there on the 24-25 of sept,

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook