Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mainline

Apr 4, 2006, 5:44 AM
Post #1 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Doug Coombs Killed in Avalanche
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Early reports are that Doug Coombs died this morning in an avalanche in La Grave France. He will be dearly missed.

http://www.valdezheliskiguides.com/whatsnew1.html

majid_sabet

Apr 4, 2006, 6:07 AM
Post #2 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Re: Doug Coombs Killed in Avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI ,Since Jan. 2006 more than 70 people died in avalanche related accident in French Alps alone, more and 45 in other places in Europe,almost 20 in North America and it is not even over yet.

Partner heiko

Apr 4, 2006, 8:13 AM
Post #3 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yet every single incident is tragic, and worth being mentioned! :evil:

roklizard

Apr 4, 2006, 9:53 AM
Post #4 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
FYI ,Since Jan. 2006 more than 70 people died in avalanche related accident in French Alps alone, more and 45 in other places in Europe,almost 20 in North America and it is not even over yet.
those stats are crazy

Partner epoch

Apr 4, 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #5 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doug will be missed. He was an inspiration for many back country skiers and snowboarders. He pushed the boundaries and set precedents for back-country Helli-skiing.

This incident goes to show that even the most experienced and well trained person can still be subject to harm in even the safest conditions.

tragic_photography

Apr 4, 2006, 2:25 PM
Post #6 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was the first thing I heard on the radio this morning, what a bad way to start a day. From reports I've read/heard it seems he was beleived to have either slipped or was dislodged from his footing somehow and was slammed into ice of some sort.

May he rest in peace, he was THE ski mountaineer of our time. He will always be one of the guys I look up to. What a crushing blow to our world.

Farewell Doug. Thanks for being such a role model. I'll be making any last turns at JH next week in your honor. Peace. ~Stoney

Partner macherry

Apr 4, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #7 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry to hear this news. Very sad. my condolences to the families and friends.

killclimbz

Apr 4, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #8 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. I can't believe this. He was definitely one of the shining stars in ski mountaineering. He will be missed. My condolences to his friends and family.

RIP.

glowering

Apr 4, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #9 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a loss. I only met him briefly in Valdez, but I could tell right away what a kind, wonderful person he was. My condolences.

trebork2
Deleted

Apr 4, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #10 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is horrible news to hear. May he rest in peace.

kyote321

Apr 4, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #11 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are avalance conditions up worldwide because of global warming?

Partner tim

Apr 4, 2006, 3:35 PM
Post #12 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This incident goes to show that even the most experienced and well trained person can still be subject to harm in even the safest conditions.

Like we needed another example?

I would have thought Craig Kelly and Alex Lowe would have sufficed.

Doug Coombs was a pioneer. We're all going to die sooner or later, he showed others how to get over the fear of it, and LIVE.

RIP.

grayhghost

Apr 4, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #13 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no.

notch

Apr 4, 2006, 3:40 PM
Post #14 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Respectfully, it would be better if that question were to be posed in a different thread instead of changing the direction of this one.

Partner heiko

Apr 4, 2006, 3:43 PM
Post #15 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I don't think so. This winter was actually a lot better than last year's.

ullr

Apr 5, 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #16 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doug died in a fall, not an avy.

Sad news indeed. He will be sorely missed.

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 5, 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #17 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Specifically, he fell while trying to rescue a friend who had just fallen. Both Doug and Chad Vanderham perished. Doug, 48, leaves behind a wife and 2 year old son. Chad, 32, was from Silverthorne, Colorado.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50557

climb_sky_high

Apr 5, 2006, 1:21 AM
Post #18 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard the news secondhand from my bro tonight and I couldn't believe it.
Doug Coombs really was an amazing skier and an amazing person.
He skied clean and lived life to the fullest.
Let's not forget his dream.

RIP

tumblemark

Apr 5, 2006, 2:29 AM
Post #19 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My daughter came in as I was reading about Coombs. She said, "Dad, what's the matter?"

Here's a link with better info:
http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews.htm

majid_sabet

Apr 5, 2006, 7:24 AM
Post #20 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

update
5/4/06
--------------------------
Coombs Death May Have Been Ski Accident, Not Avalanche

La Grave, France (Tuesday, April 4, 2006) - A day after the death of big mountain skiing legend Doug Coombs in a French avalanche was reported, additional information is beginning to surface may have been accidental, and not in an avalanche.

The French website Pistehors.com is reporting that a spokesperson for the Compagnie R�publicaine de S�curit� des Alpes rescue service is advising that Coombs, 48, and 32 year-old American ski companion Chad Vander Ham of Silverthorne, Colo. were both swept 200 meters over cliffs either by a small purge in the steep Couloir de Polichinelle in the Fr�aux sector of La Grave, or after slipping on ice. The avalanche risk at the time was rated 2 (moderate) on a scale of 1 to 5.

The Internet website TelemarkTips.com is reporting that Vander Ham first slipped on an icy patch in the couloir, and while assessing the situation Coombs also fell. It should be noted that information remains sketchy, and it's difficult to separate rumor from fact at this time.

Coombs' Jackson Hole, Wyo. ski companion David Gonzales has set up a memorial fund to benefit Coombs' wife Emily and son David. More information may be found by visiting

http://www.dougcoombsmemorialfund.com.

jezzat

Apr 6, 2006, 8:20 AM
Post #21 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was truly shocked to hear of the death of both Doug and Chad in La Grave on Monday.

I have skied with them both here over the past 5 years or so and remember meeting them on my trip last year sharing the lift to the top of the mountain. Doug was a legend I remember looking up to as a kid and Chad was cracking guy and a great skier. I didn't know them well but always bumped in to them every year either on the mountain or in the bar. Its very very sad.

I have a friend who lives in La Grave and the report from the team who rapelled in to the line the next day to investigate is that Chad slipped on snow covered sheet ice at the top of the couloir and fell over the cliff below him. Doug went to investigate and fell just above the same spot.

They will be missed.

Partner epoch

Apr 6, 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #22 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read an email regarding this accident. It was very graphic and saddening. There were 4 people on the tour, and as stated above, it sounds like Doug and Chad slipped at the end of the coulier and fell. I assume that Doug was killed instantly upon impact. Chad was still living, but severely beaten up. Unfortunately he died either between the mountain and the hospital or at the hospital.

This is the gist of the situation. I will not forward the email to anyone. Don't ask. I respect the originator of the distribution and thus will not disseminate it for general viewing.

tisakson

Apr 7, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #23 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After surviving a 1,000 foot avalanche myself last year in the Tetons, I feel very blessed to have come out of that and I know the feeling of nearly dying in the snow. A reminder to all us skiiers who venture out into the unknown , to be careful. Doug died doing what he loved and that is a great way to go. My prayers go out to his family.

colotopian

Apr 7, 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #24 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a big deal. He has a little kid.

killclimbz

Apr 13, 2006, 1:22 PM
Post #25 of 26 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the AMGA report from Matt Farmer on what happened. It is a very honest account.

In reply to:
AMGA Releases Matt Farmer's Account of Coombs Accident

On Friday, April 7, the American Mountain Guides Association released the following account to Backcountry as related by Matt Farmer of the La Grave, France April, 3 accident that claimed the life of Doug Coombs and Chad Vanderham.

La Grave, France 16:45 April 3, 2006

Christina Blomquist, Doug Coombs, Chad Vanderham, and I, descended from the top of the Telepherique de la Meije to ski the “Le Polichinelle” Couloir.

This route maintains an average steepness of 40-45 degrees through a series of three successive couloirs linked by leftward traverses at the base of each chute. The couloirs get progressively longer, from approximately 40 to 100 meters, before a final leftward traverse leads to mellower lower angled gullies which feed back into the apron below the couloir. The base of the third chute is approximately 3-4 meters wide and exposed to the top of the final cliff which is about 50 meters high. Below this cliff is a small couloir to the right and a 15-20 meter cliff to the left which both end up at the top of the snow apron below the main couloir system. 30-40 cm of untracked light snow was well bonded to a base of firm neve. General stability of the snow pack was good and the hazard rating for the day was a 2 on the French scale. Weather conditions were beautiful, the sky clear and blue without clouds or wind.

Chad descended the first couloir and waited to the left of the base as Doug skied, followed by me and then Christina one at a time. Doug traversed left and skied the second chute followed by Chad, then myself and Christina. Chad led the third couloir which curves right out of view of the starting point. Doug skied next and was subsequently followed by Christina.

Just as Christina entered the middle of the top of the third couloir Doug yelled up that “Chad fell, come down with a rope.” I traversed into the middle of the couloir to the point at which I could see down to Doug who was side stepping down a rock rib below and right of the constriction at the base of the couloir. Christina and I saw Doug yelling Chad’s name while side stepping down and attempting to see over the cliff to his right. We saw his skis slip on the rock and he fell out of view over the rib.

I skied down to the constriction and carefully continued down softer snow left of the rock rib that Doug had been standing on. I continued along side the rock rib, sidestepping down and right on snow to within 2 meters of where Chad’s ski was sticking vertically in the snow at the top of the cliff. From this vantage point I could see Chad’s body approximately 150 meters below on the apron of snow below the cliff at the base of the couloir. Doug’s body was also visible, motionless, but sliding slowly down the apron coming to rest about 30 meters beside Chad.

At this point, 17:29, I called the Haute Alps rescue services for a helicopter and then (17:33) called a local guide friend to confirm the helicopter dispatch and set other resources in motion. I directed Christina down, through the crux constriction, and left towards the exit into the mellower gullies that feed back into the apron below the central cliff at the base of the third couloir. I side stepped and boot packed 15 meters back up to the left exit and proceeded down.

I arrived at Doug first, at about 17:40, as he was slightly higher on the slope than Chad. I repositioned Doug, who was lying on his right side, bent at the waist and facing up hill with his skis off. There were no immediately obvious major injuries or deformities. He was pulse less, with out respirations. His eyes were open, pupils fixed and dilated. His lips were yellowish gray and his right ear purple. I preformed rescue breaths and CPR for approximately two minutes by which time Christina had arrived at Chad and declared that he was breathing. I left Doug, who had no indications of response and moved downhill 20 meters to Chad.

Chad was lying face down in the snow with his feet facing up hill. We carefully reoriented him and opened his airway. His breaths were regular and deep, his pulse strong and about 90 bpm. He had much coagulated blood in his nose, his eyes and lips were slightly swollen and discolored. Chad’s pupils were equal and responsive to light but he was unresponsive to shouting or pain. Christina returned to Doug while I maintained Chad’s airway, giving occasional rescue breaths, until the helicopter arrived at 18:03. Three members of the PGHM were lowered to the scene with their equipment and began administering an IV to Chad. We installed an oral airway in Chad’s mouth and placed him in a rescue sled. By this time Chad’s facial edema was pronounced but his breathing and pulse were still strong and he had begun to move his arm and squeeze my hand in response to my own squeezes. As the doctor began administering medicine to Chad, I returned to Doug to resume CPR. The helicopter returned in 10 or 15 minutes to transport Chad to a hospital in Briancon, 30 kilometers east. At this time one of the two remaining PGHM informed us that the doctor had already declared Doug dead. We replied that we knew and continued CPR for another 20 or 30 minutes. The helicopter returned and transported Christina and me back to La Grave. We were met by Jean Charles of La Meije and brought to where many of our friends had gathered. While debriefing the current situation with them the local police arrived to take a statement and during this process we were informed that Chad was dead as well.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook