RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

geobum

Apr 30, 2006, 6:53 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

tingling in hands?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

recently after doing pullups, or hanging from the pullup bar, i get significant tingling in both of my hands. the tingling increases if i flex my wrists backward (as if revving a motorcycle).

i used to type for an orthopedic surgeon, and the symptoms sound like carpal tunnel syndrome, but i refuse to believe me, a strapping 21-year-old, has that. please tell me i'm wrong?

i am not doing a ridiculous amount of pullups, ~ 10 reps, 3 sets, and then some hanging. i also do 20 pushups, 2-3 sets. i do this daily.

skiclimb

Apr 30, 2006, 1:34 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Re: tingling in hands? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the tingling like? is it like pins and needles..a mild buzz..or like a leg going to sleep on ya? where specifically is the tingling just a couple fingers? or a portion of hand? if so what portion or fingers? Is there any numbness assocoiated with it? Does it happen everytime you do specific actions? Any swelling or discoloration associated with it?

As far as Carpel tunnel..could be at 21 quite easily..especially for climbers. could be cutting off circulation or pinching nerves.

I usually take mild unusual occurances like this as a sign my body wants to do something else for a while. I tried to not push on doing the things that caused unusual discomfort. It's good to listen to your body. Often things like this are signs of overtrainig and approaching self-inflicted injury. See if you can find a different way to train or lay off that specific traiing or cut down on it.

Once again.. seeing a doctor is never a bad Idea.. especially if it gets worse or becomes painful.

ccox

Apr 30, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try doing your pushups without the usual hand bent back position, and see if numbness decreases.

geobum

May 5, 2006, 8:54 AM
Post #4 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tingling is localised in the first and middle fingers. i just finished a workout on the pull-up bar and they are tingling as i type this. i was doing regular palm-away pull-ups, as well as locking off for a two-second count and slowly lowering over a five-second count.

patto

May 5, 2006, 9:00 AM
Post #5 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like the radial nerve.

mikej

May 7, 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had something like this in my middle finger, left hand. I wrapped it, and kept a couple grades under my skill level for about 2 months and it went away. The tingling went from my middle finger shooting down to my upper forearm just below my wrist. I'm pretty sure it was a pinched nerve and a tendon pull. Massage it frequently. Its been about six months since and no problems since.

thabadcharacter

May 8, 2006, 1:12 AM
Post #7 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain, literally! I was liebacking a 10a crack this last week and 3/4 of the way up there was a pop in my wrist and the my middle, ring, and pinky fingers in my right hand all go numb. They have been numb now for around 5 days, and if I mimic that same "motorcycle revving" action I get shooting pains down through my wrist.

SO, my physical therapist still hasnt called me back, but when I go in either tomorrow or the next day I will definitely post his diagnosis.

For now I am taking 4 Advil in the morn and eve, trying to massage the wrist and keep myself from moving my fingers that way.

tonloc

May 8, 2006, 2:43 AM
Post #8 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the tingling is from your 4-6 hours of sex...

richmacr

May 16, 2006, 3:02 AM
Post #9 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely sounds like carpal tunnel (median nerve entrapment) which affects the thumb and first two fingers.

not the kind of thing you want to ignore or hope just goes away, that's for sure. glad you're getting it checked out, but you'll probably want to think about booking an appointment with your doc.

thabadcharacter

May 22, 2006, 3:28 AM
Post #10 of 10 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

finally got it checked out the other week, and it ended up being a constriction of both medial and ulnar nerves (forgive spelling)... with three physical theripist visits and hourly stretching of the forearm flexors the numbness is almost gone and ive been climbing hard for the last week. apparently it is very easy for climbers especially to experience this problem, but fairly easily remedied.

good luck and healthy climbing!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook