RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

turfguy

Jun 6, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Torn labrum?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hurt my shoulder last thursday climbing an apparently dry crack...the crux was wet. Went to the doc today, well actually he was busy (had to detail his benz), so his assistant diagnosed it as a possible labral tear. I have full strength and ROM and only pain in specific positions, I think I will get an MRI. Has any one experienced a similar thing? If so, let me know what you did and recovery time.

newfloat

Jun 6, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Re: Torn labrum? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In what positions does your shoulder hurt? I hurt mine a few months ago and it still hurts. Mine hurts when i raise my arm stright up into the air and then out a bit. And anything extended behind me hurts for the most part. I'm trying to self-diagnose here cause i hate going to doctors if at all possible.

ecjohnson

Jun 6, 2006, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah... I 've torn my labrum. I didn't actually tear the labrum itself, I tore it off of the bone of the Glenoid Cavity. The Labrum acts as a bumper keeping your shoulder stable, once it's damaged it's much easier for the shoulder to dislocate. Definitely get an MRI. They are key, and you can't tell shit from an x-ray for soft tissue damage. I dislocated my shoulder 8 (3 from climbing) times before I finally had surgery last November. I had no pain in my shoulder after about 3 days after I first dislocated it. It was just very unstable. It felt weird, but didn't hurt. After surgery things went really well. I was riding my road bike after only 6 weeks, and mountain biking at 9 weeks. I got in trouble for climbing, albeit easily, at 4 months. At 6 months I was given the 100% all clear. But beware, shoulder surgery isn't the end all... the day after my 6 month appointment, May 11th, I dislocated it again, but it was so tight, that this time I actually had to go to the E.R. to have it put in.

And to you trying to self-diagnose, Don't rely on anything buy and MRI. Yeah, you have to sit still in a tube for a while, but it's far better then doing more damage because you daignosed it wrong. There is so much that can go wrong in the shoulder, and because the shoulder capsule is all soft tissue, except for the small part that is the Glenoid, an x-ray, or simple poke and prod diagnosis won't work. if you did rotator cuff damage, then maybe they'd be able to feel that, but noth much else. THe shoulder is a finicky thing. Do yourself a favor and get it looked at, and go to an Orthopaedic Surgeon, not a general doctor.

weschrist

Jun 6, 2006, 5:33 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for a minute there I thought you said lab..... nevermind

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook