Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Jun 19, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #1 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Rowing for climbing fitness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently joined my schools gym, so i could use it at lunchtimes etc. and get some training (and exitment) into the day.
I was planning mainly to use the treadmills and possible some of the weights, when someone rowing caught my eye.
I thought "hey, she's using her biceps, back, and legs. That makes it good for arm fitness, and general fitness and weight loss."
In fact, after i was done, i felt like i had just done a great workout on my back and arms, and felt like i had done more CV fitness than i would have on the tredmill for the same time.

So, what'ya think? Is this the ultimate climbing fitness/endurance + general fitness training I've always been looking for? or are there known drawbacks?

-Magnus

climb_ian

Jun 19, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #2 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rowing for climbing fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey
rowing is awesome for climbing.
I use to row in a national leight weight four, and climbed the strongest when i was rowing crew.
it works you back and lats..
your lats get really really big, wich really helps when it comes to climbing.

zeke_sf

Jun 19, 2006, 8:09 PM
Post #3 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet! Other climbers into rowing!

I've never done the real thing, but I really enjoy the rowing machine. I was running a lot (training for a marathon) until an ankle injury, and now I'm using the rowing machine three or more times a week. I've done up to an hour, but that is really trying both physically and mentally and I don't want to burn out while focusing on climbing. A circuit I do is to alternate pullups/frenchies with rowing. I'll do a max set of pullups and then get on the rowing machine. Every five minutes I get off the rowing machine and do some pullups or frenchies (not maximum). It is almost like climbing a steady route with cruxes in it. Plus, good rowing form is kind of like good climbing form: use your legs and keep your arms straight until the last part of the motion. Also, keep your back straight, or you might tweak something! Have fun!

helios

Jun 19, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #4 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rowing definitely works some of the same muscle groups as climbing and is great for general conditioning. I used to row in college and I do remember gains in my climbing while training for crew. I think it translates really well. But a rowing machine is like climbing in a gym. Neither are as good as being outside on real rock/water.

And if you get bored, you can attach a hangboard to your rowing machines 'oar.' :lol: :lol: :lol:

sungam

Jun 19, 2006, 8:28 PM
Post #5 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awsome. Happyness level soaring... :D

-Magnus

auraseer

Jun 20, 2006, 6:51 AM
Post #6 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, what'ya think? Is this the ultimate climbing fitness/endurance + general fitness training I've always been looking for?
In a word, yes. And I'm not just saying that because I was on the rowing team in college. 8^)

I'm sure the muscles I developed from rowing are a big help when climbing. For me it's mainly in the legs. Compared to the guys I climb with, I've got relatively large thighs and calves, and I'm better at moves that stress those muscles-- like stemming, toe-tip edging, etc. (Of course, there plenty of moves that the other guys handle much better than I do. The marathoner has more endurance, ferinstance.)

Just make sure you get somebody to show you proper form on the rowing machine. Most of the force should come from your legs. If you just sit down and try it, your instincts will probably make you pull too hard, and use your back and arms too much. Improper form can be an easy route to a back injury.

Partner heiko

Jun 20, 2006, 9:20 AM
Post #7 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So, what'ya think? Is this the ultimate climbing fitness/endurance + general fitness training I've always been looking for?

I think it's great, but no, probably it's not the ultimate. Diversity is key:

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php

If you don't like Mark Twight ;) , check this:

http://www.crossfit.com/

In reply to:
World-Class Fitness
in 100 Words:
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.

sidepull

Jul 20, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #8 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other's doing this?

BUMP

anykineclimb

Jul 20, 2006, 2:03 AM
Post #9 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I Love rowing! Well, love is a strong word and I hate it when I'm actually doing it but anyway...

Its a good fullbody workout. My last gym had Concept2 rowers and now I'll have to fork out the dough for one. Oh so worth it though. I can run/ walk all I want but to have a rower? worth it.

The C2 site has some good workouts. I like the row slow but pull HARD style, but do the fast/ steady pace also.

wallmonkey35

Jul 20, 2006, 2:56 AM
Post #10 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, Been doing it for about a year. The rowing machine def. helps a lot of the same musle groups you use for climbing. good looking out.

kantkatchme

Jul 20, 2006, 3:21 AM
Post #11 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was on my HS team...but i didnt climb at the time... so i cant really say how much it helped...but i was def stronger then training then i am now.

mind you. being on the water before the sun comes up is not always a wekcome idea. i guess going to the gym and ussing an erg? is not the same.lol

zeke_sf

Jul 20, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #12 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw some post on another thread relating rowing to rock climbing. They talked about attaching rock rings to do one of those ARC/capillarity type training sessions while rowing. From what I gather, this training often involves traversing to keep a mild pump going for an extended period of time to improve endurance, etc.. I think rowing (even without rings) could definitely do this. Especially if you try a thumbless grip. I don't see what rock rings would add since you're training the forearms and not specific grips, but you would definitely get x-tra points as the local gym crazy :) It sounds like a good way to combine cardio with a climbing specific workout (although climbing specific movements are lackng). Any thoughts?

sidepull

Jul 20, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #13 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually done something similar. Instead of attaching rock rings I simply vary my grip every five rows or so for 15 minutes. You can't row as fast but you can develop the appropriate ARC mild burn in the fore arms. However, I haven't done it consistently enough to know if it has helped.

fracture

Jul 21, 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #14 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read this: http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/?id=2007.

If you want to climb harder, how about a more sport-specific training activity (like ARC training, 4x4's, or threshold bouldering)?

zeke_sf

Jul 21, 2006, 1:25 AM
Post #15 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If you want to climb harder, how about a more sport-specific training activity (like ARC training, 4x4's, or threshold bouldering)?

How about if you just want to do some cardio? You've made it abundantly clear elsewhere "climbing hard" is your sole domain yet you contribute no thoughts pertaining to the particular contents of this thread. I already said it wasn't the most "sport specific." STFU.

[great, now this threads going to get hijacked to oblivion... :roll:]

nedsurf

Jul 21, 2006, 2:08 AM
Post #16 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah rowing is probably good for climbing muscles, but it is still a slave sport. RAMMING SPEED! :P

fracture

Jul 21, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #17 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

How about if you just want to do some cardio?

Then do some. But don't expect it to have much of an effect on your climbing ability.

In reply to:
You've made it abundantly clear elsewhere "climbing hard" is your sole domain yet you contribute no thoughts pertaining to the particular contents of this thread.

The OP asked if rowing is the "ultimate" climbing workout. It almost certainly isn't.

In reply to:
I already said it wasn't the most "sport specific." STFU.

You also said:
In reply to:
A circuit I do is to alternate pullups/frenchies with rowing. I'll do a max set of pullups and then get on the rowing machine. Every five minutes I get off the rowing machine and do some pullups or frenchies (not maximum). It is almost like climbing a steady route with cruxes in it.

Which is pretty much enough information for anyone with half a brain to realize you don't know two shits about training for rock climbing.

If you actually want to climb better---read fluxus' book and apply it. Rowing and doing stupid human tricks on a pullup bar will not help you climb harder. And please, stfu n00b.

zeke_sf

Jul 21, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #18 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Which is pretty much enough information for anyone with half a brain to realize you don't know two s--- about training for rock climbing.

If you actually want to climb better---read fluxus' book and apply it. Rowing and doing stupid human tricks on a pullup bar will not help you climb harder. And please, stfu n00b.

:lol: Just when I thought you were a computer program, you finally descend to my level! You've made my day, man. Thanks for your concern with everybody's climbing progress as well, you benevolent climbing dictator. I'm where I am happy with climbing, thank you; having fun, making progress, and, mostly, having fun. You should try it sometime. The fun part. We all know you're progressing so fast you won't even have to climb a route to claim your, what is it? oh yeah, freepoint.

sidepull

Jul 21, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #19 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the sad thing about the way this thread is evolving is that I bumped it to the front page (along with several other "Training & Technique" threads) because I was tired of all the whiney "help motivate me to climb" threads. So I thought, why not read about things that can help you climb rather than whining?

In an attempt to mediate some of the disagreement that's cropping up here I think we can agree with Fracture that rowing is not the ultimate climbing training. Indeed, ARC sessions, 4x4's, etc., are more helpful. However, I think even Fracture might agree that rowing would be more beneficial than say mountain biking and, in cases where a local climbing gym or area is not an option, rowing might provide a base level of fitness that http://couldhelp.

zeke_sf

Jul 21, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #20 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think even Fracture might agree

See, there's your problem. His programming won't allow it. Agreeing would activate a self-destruct sequence that would leave him, yes, alive, but with only the ability to climb at...shudder...5.11 level. A fate worse than death, I assure you :)

Elsewhere the F-word says "Hah! I don't think I can even run one mile, much less three in 30 minutes." So, while he climbs hard, he knows squat about cardio (much less how slow that 5K he speaks of actually is). Which is fine. What he doesn't get is that you can be passionate about climbing while also maintaining a high level of fitness in other areas. He thinks climbing is the sole province of those who "climb hard." Prepare for cut-and-paste ad nauseum! I'm proud of his ad hominem attacks though. A real breakthrough that.

lodge23

Jul 21, 2006, 7:26 PM
Post #21 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rowing is great cross training. But, if you use the rowing machine the way its supposed be used, you should really be focusing on your leg movement. Not to say it does not work your upper body at all...Either way, its better on your joints than running.

sungam

Jul 21, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #22 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is indepentdant of my "specific" climbing training... I've been trying out rockprodigy's guide thingy (working great buddy!) and was looking for some variation on the "aerobic fitness" front. I hate running, and can't bike for crap.

From what I've heard, other than the danger of back problems from mis use, rowing seems to fit the bill, with the added bonuses that
A)I enjoy rowing and
BIt help the back/arm muscles used for pulling in climbing.
So, seems awsome, and thanks.

-Magnus

fracture

Jul 21, 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #23 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What he doesn't get is that you can be passionate about climbing while also maintaining a high level of fitness in other areas.

Silly n00b. That's not training for climbing, and this thread is about whether rowing is good climbing training, not whether rowing is "fun".

But don't listen to me---just stick to your frenchies, your pullups, your rowing ... and projecting 5.11.

zeke_sf

Jul 21, 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #24 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What he doesn't get is that you can be passionate about climbing while also maintaining a high level of fitness in other areas.

Silly n00b. That's not training for climbing, and this thread is about whether rowing is good climbing training, not whether rowing is "fun".

But don't listen to me---just stick to your frenchies, your pullups, your rowing ... and projecting 5.11.

Do you know how to read? "Fitness" doesn't just entail "training for climbing." Let's say you aren't already whip thin and maybe need to do some cardio to lose weight. That would certainly help your climbing. How about if you're into Alpine is even a better question. Then cardio would be excellent training for that type of climbing. I'm talking about general fitness you slow running, narrow-minded troglodyte....ummm...I mean "freepointer." Here's a free point, STFU.

fracture

Jul 21, 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #25 of 26 (13073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm talking about general fitness you slow running, narrow-minded troglodyte.

Heh.

In reply to:
Every five minutes I get off the rowing machine and do some pullups or frenchies (not maximum). It is almost like climbing a steady route with cruxes in it. Plus, good rowing form is kind of like good climbing form: use your legs and keep your arms straight until the last part of the motion.

What a complete joke.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook