RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

antiqued

Sep 2, 2006, 1:37 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Alien pull test poll
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The recent accident in Paradise Forks has many climbers suspecting that some non-dimpled Aliens may have brazing issues.
In order to get more information than that from mgear's original message (3 dimpled Aliens tested and failed, 6 Aliens passed) could you fill in this poll about non-dimpled Aliens ? (assuming you sent them to CCH or elsewhere to be pull tested to 1/2 or more rated strength, no bounce test results, please)

Thanks

billcoe_

Sep 2, 2006, 4:25 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alien pull test poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Antiquated: the poll is faulty - doesn't have a place for zero. If I want to see the poll results, I have to check something, non of which will be applicable for most of us...yet.

That's how many I have had checked so far, zero. However, I sent in 19 yesterday and I will report back.

I suspect that it will be a few days until you start seeing results if the 1 week promise date to test and return is valid from CCH. The recall was announced 2 days ago after all.

Regards:

Bill

BTW, I put a sticker on each one with my address, along with a list of returned pieces on a separate sheet of paper with my return information. If you have any colored identifying tape on them, I'd cut it off before you send them in.

BTW, so far, the last choice has 4 votes and leads by 80% to the 1 single other vote on the poll. I just wanted to see the results, so 1 of those 4 was mine. :lol:

Partner holdplease2

Sep 2, 2006, 5:28 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sent my 30 aliens to FISH Products to be tested. All of them were manufactured during the last 18 months because my rack was stolen.

Initially I had 6 dimpled aliens on my rack, I returned them all to CCH without testing them.

-Kate.

Partner ctardi

Sep 2, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #4 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Antiquated: the poll is faulty - doesn't have a place for zero. If I want to see the poll results, I have to check something, non of which will be applicable for most of us...yet.

That's how many I have had checked so far, zero. However, I sent in 19 yesterday and I will report back.

I suspect that it will be a few days until you start seeing results if the 1 week promise date to test and return is valid from CCH. The recall was announced 2 days ago after all.

Regards:

Bill

BTW, I put a sticker on each one with my address, along with a list of returned pieces on a separate sheet of paper with my return information. If you have any colored identifying tape on them, I'd cut it off before you send them in.

BTW, so far, the last choice has 4 votes and leads by 80% to the 1 single other vote on the poll. I just wanted to see the results, so 1 of those 4 was mine. :lol:

"View Poll Results"

If you see that below the pole, and click it, it shows you the results, but stops you from being able to vote.

billcoe_

Sep 3, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ctardi -dohhh, thank you.

Kate: Fish is testing them? I know we don't know what CCH is doing to test them, I hope Tim Greene gets that (with pics and stats ) up on the CCH site yet.

How will Russ test them? With what?

BTW: Proposed Alien dog pull- test picture.http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...-pull_aliens-med.JPG

Actual grey one being tested by new proto-type testing device.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 3, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Russ (FISH products) tested each of mine to 1000 pounds. He has some sort of tester that he uses to test his heads, funkness cables, rivit hangers, etc.

If there's anyone I trust with my life, its Russ. This is the guy who tested rivit hangers to failure at the beginning of each size-batch that he made for me. He sent the broken ones to me so that I could see that they failed at the wire, not the swage, as it should be. Attached was a notecard with the weight at which it failed! Awesome.

I buy all my heads/rivit hangers from Russ because I know he tests his gear regularly.

I don't know what device he used, but I know I trust him to know what to do and to do it right. CCH has enough problems right now, so I decided to send my cams somewhere else.

He turned them around in a few days. I know he's traveling some right now...

-Kate.

antiqued

Sep 3, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the poll is faulty - doesn't have a place for zero. If I want to see the poll results, I have to check something, non of which will be applicable for most of us...yet.

I suspect that it will be a few days until you start seeing results if the 1 week promise date to test and return is valid from CCH.

Ooops!! Well, I guess those things can happen to a n00b poll generator. I (or anyone else) will post up the results periodically. If a mod can show me how to change it, fine.
My last category was intended for anyone who got Aliens back that they weren't sure were the ones they sent, not for anyone waiting for results.
(The very early results suggest I underestimated how many gear whores there are, and should have subdivided the >10 range))

I know this is early for the current recall, but we're impatient here at RC.com. I think several people have had non-dimpled aliens tested as part of the last - kimgraves for one at CCh, and others elsewhere (Kate at Fish, above)

Poll results
1-3 tested, 0 failed
11% [ 1 ]
4-6 tested, 0 failed
0% [ 0 ]
6-10 tested, 0 failed
0% [ 0 ]
11 or more tested, 0 failed
33% [ 3 ]
1-6 tested, 1 failed
0% [ 0 ]
6+ tested, 1 failed
0% [ 0 ]
2 or more failed
0% [ 0 ]
I sent some, but I'm not sure if any failed or not
55% [ 5 ]

Total Votes : 9

Partner ctardi

Sep 3, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

antiqued - Read my post above, it is not a faulty poll, there is a way to view results without voting.

antiqued

Sep 6, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Latest results - I started this poll because I have no hope of getting similar numbers out of CCH. We never were given any statistics or test summaries (aside from mgear's) when the problem was originally assigned to the dimpled units. This unscientific, self-reporting, unverified poll indicates that ~60 non dimpled aliens have been pull tested without failure (including mgear original 6)

It seems that you can view the results and still be able to vote - Im not sure.

Any1-3 tested, 0 failed
9% [ 1 ]
4-6 tested, 0 failed
9% [ 1 ]
6-10 tested, 0 failed
0% [ 0 ]
36% [ 4 ]
1-6 tested, 1 failed
0% [ 0 ]
6+ tested, 1 failed
0% [ 0 ]
2 or more failed
0% [ 0 ]
45% [ 5 ]

antiqued

Sep 20, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

Site seems to be back up, still only 11 responses. Can we generate a thousand posts, but little real data? Or is CCH swamped with testing?

jacobg

Sep 21, 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my partner had one of his dimpled ones head pop with his body weight.... the head is still in the rock

bent_gate

Sep 21, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

BTW: Proposed Alien dog pull- test picture.http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...-pull_aliens-med.JPG

Actual grey one being tested by new proto-type testing device.

Finally...someone posts a justification for having their dog at the crag.
(And to think of all the chances I have been missing to test my gear!) :lol:

billcoe_

Sep 21, 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sent in 19 and 1 came back without the tag I had put on them all, I suspect it failoed but do not know for sure.

Glad that CCh tested them all, really appreciated, and I again thank tgreene and cch for working to turn it around.

antiqued

Sep 28, 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

All the anguish about this, and only two handsful of climbers bothered to send in their Aliens and report on the results???? Everybody waiting for the good fall weather to end?

Someone filled in that two failed - could that person post up details? How many submitted, sent to whom, sizes of failures????? Tnx

Holdplease2 - 0/30
billcoe 1?/19

Assuming that Kate and Bill filled in the poll, we are now at 2 sure failures for ~80 submitted. Again, would the aghast possessor of two failing aliens come forward?

1-3 tested, 0 failed
7% [ 1 ]
4-6 tested, 0 failed
7% [ 1 ]
6-10 tested, 0 failed
0% [ 0 ]
28% [ 4 ]
1-6 tested, 1 failed
0% [ 0 ]
6+ tested, 1 failed
0% [ 0 ]
2 or more failed
7% [ 1 ]
50% [ 7 ]

rhyang

Sep 28, 2006, 9:21 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sent in a blue and yellow (non-dimpled), and just got them back with tags and TT stamp. Can't complain !

Partner hosh

Sep 28, 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tested a gold, got it back fixed in a few weeks (takes a long time for mail to go either way when you live in AK...)

hosh.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook