RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

gmreeves

Nov 14, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #1 of 3 (577 views)
Shortcut

Deminsions of campus rungs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am having a friend of mine make some campus rungs and was wondering what the radius of the curve is on the Metolious campus rungs. I am going to make them 16" long and I am going to plane them to the correct thickness; 3/4", 1", and 1 1//4". I am then going to cut about a 15 degree angle on the edge where my pads will touch since my wall is going to be at 15 degrees. My question is, how much should I sand the sharp edge down? How much is the Metolious edge sanded? I can do it easily on a routing table if I knew what size routing bit to use.

anykineclimb

Nov 15, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #2 of 3 (564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmreeves] Deminsions of campus rungs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just used a router and used the biggest curve bit to knock off that 90 degree angle. Sorry, I don't know the number or whatever.

haydenlake

Nov 15, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #3 of 3 (549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Deminsions of campus rungs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The shape of the metolius rungs is not a simple round over bit (although there is nothing wrong with making rungs out of wood that you've just rounded off).

They've got a bit of curve to em so the 15 deg cut and then rounding might make the angle a bit sharp. I would rec large 1.5" rungs with a 3/4 inch radius round.

If you want something to help w slopers try 6" pvc or sewer pipe cut in half cut in 20" strips, bolted to normal overhung campus board then put skateboard griptape on the rungs. Way pumpy and makes you really control you're body and swinging.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook