Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Torn Cartilage and Torn Ligament in Ankle (OCD lesion), Cross Training and Physical Therapy Suggestions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

stephc95

Oct 24, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #1 of 2 (708 views)
Shortcut

Torn Cartilage and Torn Ligament in Ankle (OCD lesion), Cross Training and Physical Therapy Suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone so in the beginning of September i rolled my ankle on the side of my crash pad and tore the cartilage and a ligament. I got them repaired surgically 2 weeks ago since that was the only choice if I ever wanted to regain the full ability of my ankle/foot. Before I was injured I was climbing V6/7 and sport climbing 5.11c/d.
I'm on crutches until the end of November, no weight-bearing, and a walking boot until the middle of December. I certainly won't be able to boulder or sport climb until next summer, though I'll be able to top rope by April.

I was wondering what kind of cross training I could do during that time to keep my strength and ability so I wouldn't be that out of shape come next summer.

Also, are there any really good physical therapists anyone can suggest for the central Maryland area? It doesn't have to be that close, I just want a physical therapist that knows what they're doing.

Thanks so much! Happy climbing :)

onceahardman

Oct 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #2 of 2 (679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stephc95] Torn Cartilage and Torn Ligament in Ankle (OCD lesion), Cross Training and Physical Therapy Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

stephc95 wrote:
Hey everyone so in the beginning of September i rolled my ankle on the side of my crash pad and tore the cartilage and a ligament. I got them repaired surgically 2 weeks ago since that was the only choice if I ever wanted to regain the full ability of my ankle/foot. Before I was injured I was climbing V6/7 and sport climbing 5.11c/d.
I'm on crutches until the end of November, no weight-bearing, and a walking boot until the middle of December. I certainly won't be able to boulder or sport climb until next summer, though I'll be able to top rope by April.

I was wondering what kind of cross training I could do during that time to keep my strength and ability so I wouldn't be that out of shape come next summer.

Also, are there any really good physical therapists anyone can suggest for the central Maryland area? It doesn't have to be that close, I just want a physical therapist that knows what they're doing.

Thanks so much! Happy climbing :)

The non weightbearing (NWB) restructions must be strictly adhered to.

This makes it difficult to maintain fitness. Hopefully your PT office has a UBE (upper body ergometer) or "arm-bike", which, while less than optimal, can at least keep your heart reasonably fit.

Pilates, yoga, generalized strength training, including rotator cuff strengthening,etc, will all help maintain fitness and forestall boredom.

Please remember, although you have been surgically repaired, you may never quite be, "good as new", and a similar bouldering mishap may be threatening to your climbing career next time. Every bouldering fall is a groundfall. Please be careful and stay in touch.

Sorry, I don't know any PTs in Maryland. Try to find out where the University of Maryland sports teams go, and go there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook