RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

plasticookies

Nov 4, 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #1 of 18 (6710 views)
Shortcut

DOMS that just won't go away...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all. I started bouldering one month ago and I've been going between 2-4 times a week as my schedule allows. I feel like I'm making progress, but I've had what feels like persistent delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) in my forearms all month long. The soreness will subside if I give it a couple of days, but just comes back the next time I climb.

In my past experiences, DOMS was something that only occurred after using a muscle group for the first time in a while, so what does it mean when it repeatedly hurts? I don't feel like they're injured, but does this mean that I'm still getting microtears in my muscles every time I go? and how do I get rid of the soreness? It just won't go away!

P.s. I would have posted this in the Injury Treatment and Prevention forum, but it seems really nasty outside of the Ladie's Room and I think me being a chick has something to do with this. Thanks for any help.

wonderwoman

Nov 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #2 of 18 (6703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [plasticookies] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved to Injury and Prevention. This is not a Ladies Room issue.

However, maybe you should consider drinking more water. Dehydration can lead to muscle soreness.

Best of luck.

Partner j_ung

Nov 4, 2010, 1:55 PM
Post #3 of 18 (6676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

plasticookies wrote:
Hey all. I started bouldering one month ago and I've been going between 2-4 times a week as my schedule allows. I feel like I'm making progress, but I've had what feels like persistent delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) in my forearms all month long. The soreness will subside if I give it a couple of days, but just comes back the next time I climb.

In my past experiences, DOMS was something that only occurred after using a muscle group for the first time in a while, so what does it mean when it repeatedly hurts? I don't feel like they're injured, but does this mean that I'm still getting microtears in my muscles every time I go? and how do I get rid of the soreness? It just won't go away!

P.s. I would have posted this in the Injury Treatment and Prevention forum, but it seems really nasty outside of the Ladie's Room and I think me being a chick has something to do with this. Thanks for any help.

That's pretty normal this early on, actually, especially if you're bouldering indoors with such an aggressive schedule.

Partner camhead

Nov 4, 2010, 1:55 PM
Post #4 of 18 (6674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

plasticookies wrote:

wonderwoman wrote:
Moved to Injury and Prevention. This is not a Ladies Room issue.

Oh! Kicked out into the snowbank!

No solutions. I usually amp up the ibuprofen whenever I am sore (either before or after training), but some recent studies have indicated that this might not be the best thing. Ibuprofen makes the pain go away, but might actually hinder muscle recovery.

plasticookies

Nov 4, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #5 of 18 (6647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Oh! Kicked out into the snowbank!

Phooey... Laugh

wonderwoman wrote:
However, maybe you should consider drinking more water. Dehydration can lead to muscle soreness.

This might be it. I'm one of those strange people that don't like to drink water. I'll get on it. Thanks.

hafilax

Nov 4, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #6 of 18 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If the soreness isn't beyond what you normally feel with DOMS then maybe cut back on the intensity or take more rest days in order to allow yourself to recover more. If your forearms feel harder and the pain is more severe than normal you could be experiencing some slight compartment syndrome.

Either way I'd rest more or cut off the bouldering sessions sooner to allow for more recovery.

plasticookies

Nov 5, 2010, 1:30 AM
Post #7 of 18 (6522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the first I've heard of compartment syndrome. The photos I found on google look pretty nasty...I think it's safe to say I don't have that. My arms do feel harder, but I'm hoping that's cause they're getting more toned. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lbrombach

Nov 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #8 of 18 (6453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much are you sleeping? When I work out hard, if I don't sleep enough I can stay sore foreevvver.

onceahardman

Nov 5, 2010, 9:33 PM
Post #9 of 18 (6427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think hafilax pretty much nailed it.

For that matter, I'm pretty happy with the general improvement in post quality in A & I. Many people seem to have really "upped their game", and it seems more people with relevant experience are chiming in. Thanks!

codral

Nov 7, 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #10 of 18 (6367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i know alot of people aren't all about the diet on here but are you eating more to compensate for the tearing etc? Like your body needs carbs and protein to fix itself and if you aren't getting adequate intake of these you will be sore for longer.. Also it's generally not a good idea to climb or do any full on physical exercise whilst sore, maybe switch to one day bouldering and the next endurance.. when your sore you are overtraining and this will hamper growth and can cause injuries.. i'm often sore, 2 days later after a bit session so i mix my routines up a bit.. sometimes focus more on back climbs or do endurance or give the arms a good workout... Also handy if ur seeing a masseuse as i am ;p Oh also make sure you stretch it, stretching promotes more blood flow to the muscles which will help it repair faster

(This post was edited by codral on Nov 7, 2010, 12:26 PM)

onceahardman

Nov 7, 2010, 2:22 PM
Post #11 of 18 (6354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [codral] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

DOMS has been studied a lot. It is not caused by lactic acid (lactate), and while various people claim success from stretching, nutrition, and massage, the research does not generally support it.

Gentle aerobic exercise, and yoga have some support, but time (resting time) is the only "cure" which is 100% effective. It can take up to 7 days to resolve.

http://www.unm.edu/...%20folder/domos.html

codral

Nov 7, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #12 of 18 (6307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

interesting, never met a person training who didn't swear by the methods i just posted

aerili

Nov 8, 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #13 of 18 (6277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [codral] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

codral wrote:
interesting, never met a person training who didn't swear by the methods i just posted

This is the problem with people who don't understand the scientific method and why what you think you see anecdotally in life does not always indicate cause and effect in reality.

altelis

Nov 8, 2010, 3:29 AM
Post #14 of 18 (6250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
codral wrote:

This is the problem with people who don't understand the scientific method and why what you think you see anecdotally in life does not always indicate cause and effect in reality.

Hell, I'm surprised with the infrequency with which I run into research scientists who refuse to believe there is a difference between correlation and causation.

plasticookies

Nov 8, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #15 of 18 (6207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
aerili wrote:
codral wrote:

Hell, I'm surprised with the infrequency with which I run into research scientists who refuse to believe there is a difference between correlation and causation.

Some are so desperate to publish papers, they'll see things that aren't really there. I've seen it first hand. Of course, not to say that all are like that.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take a break week. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

codral

Nov 9, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #16 of 18 (6171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i get soreness about 2 days after i train, if it's a decent session and have noticed that if i train on a friday and have a big weekend (i.e. only eat twice a day) it will take me as much as 5 days before the soreness and tightness goes away, whereas if i have a quiet weekend and keep my 5-6 meals + shakes up then normally within 2 days i'm sweet... Mind you i'm more concerned about the tearing and tightness than the actual pain feeling..

When i used to go to the gym if i was pushing it too hard i'd just get sore and if i'd go to the gym sore i'd have less strength so, maybe it's not DOMS that i'm talking about but it's how my muscular soreness works

onceahardman

Nov 10, 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #17 of 18 (6083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] DOMS that just won't go away... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you mean, "frequency", when you said, "infrequency?"

altelis

Nov 10, 2010, 1:18 PM
Post #18 of 18 (6070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea..hehe. Woops.

That's not to say that it happens a lot, by any means. Just more than one would hope, I suppose would be a better way to put it...

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook