RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Dec 13, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3892 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by enigma
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

dan2see

Dec 13, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Stiff Sore Neck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Best treatment, Quickest Remedy, Preventable?

Get a physiotherapy expert to assess your condition.

Then listen to his advice.

In my town, half of the physio guys have changed their business to "Sports Medicine". This is probably good, too.

My own mild experience with this problem has been a mix of sore shoulders, poor back posture, and slight arthritic changes in my neck vertebrae. Also reduced level of fitness when I don't exercise.

My point is, your problem might be any mix of things. It's probably impossible for you to diagnose it yourself, and you probably won't know what to do about it. On the other hand, I believe that if the problem is caused by your climbing activities, it's probably easy to fix.

I offer this same advice for any joint problem.

altelis

Dec 13, 2010, 4:21 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Totally depends on what's causing it...

The differential for a "stiff sore neck" without any other information is, well, LONG. Most reasons will have totally different treatments...

enigma

Dec 13, 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #4 of 9 (3830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Stiff Sore Neck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
enigma wrote:

In my town, half of the physio guys have changed their business to "Sports Medicine". This is probably good, too.

My own mild experience with this problem has been a mix of sore shoulders, poor back posture, and slight arthritic changes in my neck vertebrae. Also reduced level of fitness when I don't exercise.

My point is, your problem might be any mix of things. It's probably impossible for you to diagnose it yourself, and you probably won't know what to do about it. On the other hand, I believe that if the problem is caused by your climbing activities, it's probably easy to fix.

Well I run , and climb at least 4 or more times per week. I was told its from keeping your neck in one position for a long time belaying or sleeping wrong.
Or maybe a pinched nerve.
I was looking into some topical sports creams any recommendations?

Partner j_ung

Dec 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
dan2see wrote:
enigma wrote:

Well I run , and climb at least 4 or more times per week. I was told its from keeping your neck in one position for a long time belaying or sleeping wrong.
I was looking into some topical sports creams any recommendations?

I've got chronic neck problems that, I think, stem from a variety of things, belaying being one of them. I'm considering these: http://www.layhands.com/...nots_DoubleLoops.htm, or I might try to build a pair.

bill413

Dec 13, 2010, 1:36 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
dan2see wrote:
enigma wrote:

I was looking into some topical sports creams
any recommendations?

The probability of a pinched nerve being cured by a topical sports cream is quite low.
Get professional assessment.

(And don't delete your posts!)

onceahardman

Dec 13, 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Stiff Sore Neck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma, I wish you hadn't deleted your post.

Having a stiff neck from holding your neck in a certain position is pretty common. If that is really the cause, then it's kind of analogous to a repeated-motion kind of injury.

Either stop doing the offending motion or position, or figure out an exercise you can do frequently (perhaps even while belaying) which keeps the symptoms from ever coming on in the first place.

It's not that hard to do, but I really don't have any idea of what is going on, since you deleted your post.

enigma

Dec 14, 2010, 4:41 AM
Post #8 of 9 (3751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Stiff Sore Neck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My neck got better. I took some medicine and used a heating pad and a cervical collar.

dan2see

Dec 14, 2010, 6:13 AM
Post #9 of 9 (3738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha ha ha ha! Laugh

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook