RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

kazanthink

Jan 3, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6918 views)
Shortcut

Broken L3 vertebrae
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So i just took a bad fall from bouldering landed on my feet on a pad but not well at all. i have a compression fracture thats stable. i have not received very much info on recovery other then take it day by day and i should be back to almost normal in about 3 months. any one had a similar injury or no any one that has? im just looking for info on how bad it hurt for how long does it still affect your climbing or other activities?

Hooky

Jan 3, 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kazanthink] Broken L3 vertebrae [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Similar experience - L4 broken and I needed a surgery (they inserted something like a metal bridge between L3 and L5 to relieve the load from L4). For some 3.5 months I couldn't sit (doctor's orders), only stand or lie (sucks), after that I slowly got back to normal life (incl. climbing, softball and sports in general). This was at first difficult and mildly painful, partly because of all the muscle atrophy, but I quickly returned to my normal fitness level. A year after the accident I had another surgery (removal of the metal fixation), this time the regeneration was quick (some 2 weeks). Now (almost 2 years after the accident) I am quite fit and I don't think it poses any limitation for my climbing. Truth is, after a lot of sport or bigger loads, my lower back hurts a little, I guess I just have to live with that. The accident may have had some negative impact on my softball performace (overall body movement isn't so quick etc.) but I don't see any problmes with climbing (in fact, I got much better, but that's another story). In short, you have nothing to worry about.

gblauer

Jan 4, 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #3 of 9 (6871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was dropped 30 feet to the deck and had a compression fracture of L4. It was totally stable and the doctor said I could do anything I wanted, as long as it didn't hurt.

I started climbing (TR only, super easy leading just to see if my head was messed up) a week later. The woman who dropped me was a cranial sacral therapist. She treated me every day for four weeks. I credit my quick recovery (lack of pain) to her treatments.

I have no lasting effects/damage from the accident.

dindolino32

Jan 4, 2011, 1:27 AM
Post #4 of 9 (6854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

avoid lumbar flexion and twisting. That will put strain on the body of the vertebrae. Also, avoid high axial loads. Sacral cranial therapy is made up. There is no real correlated evidence in CSF fluid pulsations and healing. Lastly, talk to your doctor, as he is the only one that has an x-ray or MRI to acutally image the thing and see what is truly going on.

kazanthink

Jan 4, 2011, 1:27 AM
Post #5 of 9 (6854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Broken L3 vertebrae [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome guys that makes me feel better i am kinda worried but that give me hope that as long as i take it easy to work to recoup i should be back to climbing hard soon enough might stick to the ropes a little bit more now though

what kind of treatments were you doing that you think helped i am not familiar with it?

thanks again for the advice and encouragement

gblauer

Jan 4, 2011, 1:32 AM
Post #6 of 9 (6848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, cranial sacral treatments defined by Wiki as:

"is an alternative medicine therapy used by osteopaths, massage therapists, naturopaths, and chiropractors. A craniosacral therapy session involves the therapist placing their hands on the patient, which allows them to tune into what they call the craniosacral rhythm.[1] The practitioner claims to gently work with the spine and the skull and its cranial sutures, diaphragms, and fascia. In this way, the restrictions of nerve passages are said to be eased, the movement of cerebrospinal fluid through the spinal cord is said to be optimized, and misaligned bones are said to be restored to their proper position. Craniosacral therapists use the therapy to treat mental stress, neck and back pain, migraines, TMJ Syndrome, and for chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia.[2][3][4] Several studies have reported that there is little scientific support for the underlying theoretical model for which no properly randomized, blinded, and placebo-controlled outcome studies have ever been published.[5]"

I figured it couldn't hurt anything and actually, I think it really helped. HOnestly my ribs hurt way more than my back and she was able to clear the pain from my ribs in a few days. I didn't do much the first few days after the accident, but, I resumed my activities pretty quickly. My back never really hurt me very much (other than when I felt the searing pain upon impact).

kazanthink

Jan 4, 2011, 2:15 AM
Post #7 of 9 (6838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool deal thanks for the info

Gabel

Jan 16, 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #8 of 9 (6729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hei,

Already sent you that message but I'll post again to help the next poor guy searching the forums about his injury.

Compressed the ventral side of L1 in a 30 footer. Stable - no surgery. I wasn't allowed to sit for two weeks and shouldn't do any ventral flexion, lateral flexion or spinal rotation. I was told to lie as much as I could on the belly(=mild dorsal extension) to take the weight of the vertebrae. Started climbing again about two weeks later.
Try to get as much PT/massage as you can, I think most of my back pain came from my muscles.
I used warm pads on my back to help with the circulation and I would recommend you to check it out.
I can also second the thing about axial loads. You should probably take it easy in your healing process with those. Good thing is, you body tells you when it's too much. About a month after the accident I could only sit through two lectures. Even half a year later in a bouldering comp I could feel my back on the end of a day due to taking notorious jumps rather than downclimbing...

May you heal up well! The best to you.

enigma

Jan 17, 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Well, cranial sacral treatments defined by Wiki as:

"is an alternative medicine therapy used by osteopaths, massage therapists, naturopaths, and chiropractors. A craniosacral therapy session involves the therapist placing their hands on the patient, which allows them to tune into what they call the craniosacral rhythm.[1] The practitioner claims to gently work with the spine and the skull and its cranial sutures, diaphragms, and fascia. In this way, the restrictions of nerve passages are said to be eased, the movement of cerebrospinal fluid through the spinal cord is said to be optimized, and misaligned bones are said to be restored to their proper position. Craniosacral therapists use the therapy to treat mental stress, neck and back pain, migraines, TMJ Syndrome, and for chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia.[2][3][4] Several studies have reported that there is little scientific support for the underlying theoretical model for which no properly randomized, blinded, and placebo-controlled outcome studies have ever been published.[5]"

I figured it couldn't hurt anything and actually, I think it really helped. HOnestly my ribs hurt way more than my back and she was able to clear the pain from my ribs in a few days. I didn't do much the first few days after the accident, but, I resumed my activities pretty quickly. My back never really hurt me very much (other than when I felt the searing pain upon impact).

You are extremely fortunate. I guess considering you were dropped. Lucky you live in Pa, and sounds like she really helped you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook