RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

macchiatoe

Feb 14, 2011, 6:36 AM
Post #1 of 11 (11526 views)
Shortcut

Numb Fingertips after climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all, I've been climbing in gym twice a week and have started doing some V4 bouldering routes along with some 5.10/5.10+ walls. I've noticed that my fingertips are pretty numb (lack of sensation) & tingly for 4 days or so after climbing. Do most people have this experience? Couldn't find much info on it, so I assume it is fairly common after doing crimpy V4 climbs.
Cheers.

Kartessa

Feb 15, 2011, 4:59 AM
Post #2 of 11 (11458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macchiatoe] Numb Fingertips after climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Is it more the skin surface or within the fingers?

macchiatoe

Feb 15, 2011, 7:02 AM
Post #3 of 11 (11428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Numb Fingertips after climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Is it more the skin surface or within the fingers?

It's more in the skin surface.

cmagee1

Feb 15, 2011, 7:30 AM
Post #4 of 11 (11422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macchiatoe wrote:
Hello all, I've been climbing in gym twice a week and have started doing some V4 bouldering routes along with some 5.10/5.10+ walls. I've noticed that my fingertips are pretty numb (lack of sensation) & tingly for 4 days or so after climbing. Do most people have this experience? Couldn't find much info on it, so I assume it is fairly common after doing crimpy V4 climbs.
Cheers.

That seems kinda sketch. Its never happened to me, but that doesnt mean its not common. I think uber dry skin or extra gnarly calluses could feel something like that but this sounds different.

dan2see

Feb 15, 2011, 7:38 AM
Post #5 of 11 (11416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macchiatoe wrote:
Cheers.

After a day on rough rock outdoors, the skin of my fingers go numb for the rest of the day, more-or-less. I've always assumed that it's the aftermath of pain. Anyway I'm always OK for the next time.

macchiatoe

Feb 15, 2011, 8:09 AM
Post #6 of 11 (11409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Numb Fingertips after climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
macchiatoe wrote:
Cheers.

After a day on rough rock outdoors, the skin of my fingers go numb for the rest of the day, more-or-less. I've always assumed that it's the aftermath of pain. Anyway I'm always OK for the next time.

This Is what I assume to, but just checking because it seems to linger more than 4 days--maybe it's just the calluses becoming more built up.

Kartessa

Feb 15, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #7 of 11 (11385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After a few hours of bouldering the skin on my fingers gets ridiculously painful too, but it's rarely an issue the next day and never a problem the day after that.... 4 days seems a bit extreme

Maybe try some moisturizer, a balm or salve? Lots of people swear by ClimbOn, I use Badger balm and it sure seems to help the fingertips recover.

ilikepargo

Feb 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #8 of 11 (11333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Happens to me all the time. Just lasts a day or two though. What's more fun is when you get the occasional little red/brown spot from broken capillaries there in the fingertips.

My best advice would be to climb outside. It won't change the fingertip thing, but outside is WAY better than inside.

macchiatoe

Feb 16, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #9 of 11 (11327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] Numb Fingertips after climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, good to hear this happens to other folks. Trust me if i lived in California i would climb outside all the time--but i live in Quebec, Canada and it's presently -20 C (and that's with no elevation!).

Kartessa

Feb 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #10 of 11 (11321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pauvre Garcon... c'est le temps de demenager Tongue

MS1

Feb 17, 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #11 of 11 (11294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

macchiatoe wrote:
Cheers.

Just FYI, you might want to consult a doctor about this. Early on in my climbing, I started to get numb fingers as well, particularly my thumb, pointer and middle fingers. It would be at its worst during longer climbing trips, where the numbness would turn into aching while I slept and wake me up repeatedly. Well, it turns out that the combination of climbing, cycling, and lots of typing make for a killer case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and that if not treated surgically this can lead to permanent nerve damage in the hands (i.e. permanent numbness and potentially permanent loss of grip strength as well).

The surgery wasn't my favorite thing in the world but it wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. I couldn't climb for about four weeks, and I had to take it easy for a little longer. But all in all I think I dodged a bullet; the way the nerve doc described it, leaving it untreated for too long can get pretty ugly. And post-surgery, I never experience numbness after climbing, regardless of the terrain or type of holds.

There's an easy test they can run (involving little electric shocks to your hands) that will figure out if you have CDS or something else. I'd recommend getting it checked out, especially if the numbness is localized towards the thumb-and-pointer-finger-side of your hand.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook