RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

blueman

Mar 14, 2003, 12:12 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Pulled thumb backwards
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last night I was working on foot sweeps in Jujitsu and my partner fell on top of me (he wasn't supposed to do that :? ) landing on my thumb and tweaking it backwards :shock: . I'm pretty bummed because my spring break starts tomorrow and I had a nice road trip all planned out :cry: . What are your opinions on recovery and climbing next week? My sensea said she would tape my joint so it would totally be of no use. I was planning on giving my thumb a couple days rest, then trying some easy climbs to see if I could get by without hurting it anymore. Or should I just accept that I'm screwed and have to rest it for a few weeks . . .
Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts,
Ben

redpoint73

Mar 14, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Pulled thumb backwards [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice it a few times a day and take ibuprofen to reduce the swelling. You can considerably speed healing time if you are good. I would try to stay off it as much as possible until your roadtrip, than hope for the best. Maybe you can do some training that does not use your thumb in the meantime, so you stay strong for your trip. Maybe some climbing without your thumb, or campusing. Immobilizing your thumb with tape (while you train) until it is healed is probably a good idea. Once you try climbing with your thumb again, you can use tape to support your thumb and provide some compression without actually immobilizing it.

xanx

Mar 14, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ice, ibuprofen, rest

i dunno how much u can climb w/out ur thumb...

get an x-ray if it isn't better in like 3 days or so - i went 2 weeks before i found out my finger was broken.

good luck, take it easy

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 22, 2003, 8:46 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've doen that to my thumb. a few times. most recently in a motorcycle accident right before my break. i climbed. you don't really need to use your thumb *too* much.. you can work around it. i wouldn't sweat it that's a pretty easy injury to recover from fully w/o any medical attn (trust me on that one. three and counting!) ... only thing different now is i can shift my joint back and forth. kind of cool but lots of people do that anyway.

caseyhyer

Mar 25, 2003, 4:16 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I just did that to my thumb 3 weeks ago and it's still hurt. how is yours doing? i have been using that metoluis hand exercizer and I think that it's helping it. the gentle sqeeze is nice on the thumb and the exstraction is good.
I would go to the doct, but I don't have insurance.

overlord

Apr 11, 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just dont use your thum when you climb, eg no crimps :P

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook