RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

blotched

Aug 8, 2003, 4:18 AM
Post #1 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Jewelery Stuckage
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any fellow climbers out there had the painful misfortune of forgetting to take their jewelry off while on the rock.. Need I say more???
:oops:

overlord

Aug 8, 2003, 6:56 AM
Post #2 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jewelery Stuckage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ouch :oops:

joegoesup

Aug 8, 2003, 11:21 AM
Post #3 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lost my wedding ring in canada while ice climbng. My finger must has shrank while it was cold and I took off my glove to place a screw and saw it fall down the ice flow. Must have been a sign, I am divorced now.

leaverbiner

Aug 8, 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it wasn't mine but a good friend's .. . doing a problem called the Fin at the Trapps in the Gunks . . . which basically involves a lot fo slapping and flopping and plain ugly climbing . . . my buddy was trying top it out and was whaling around . . . next thing you hear is a little "ping, ping, ping" the sound of a metal ball bounging down the rock . .. he proceeds to top out . . . now mind you, we all knew that he had many hidden piercings, but most of us never really wanted to know where . . . back tot he story . . . so he stands up on the top of the Fin and pretty much disrobes in a desperate search to determine where the ball came from! ! It was like a train wreck, you couldn't help but watch . . luckily it was determined to be simply one of his nipple piercings . . . not the Prince or any of the other unspeakables.

jonoj

Aug 8, 2003, 1:15 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had posted this in a different thread, but might get some more responses here:

Anyone got any ideas on this?

I'm allergic to morphine, codiene and all derivatives (bummer), and was wondering what should happen if I have a climbing accident and am rendered unconcious. The first thing medics would do, I guess, if the injuries were serious, would be to pump me full of morphine, which would probably kill me, if the fall hadn't already

There are various necklace and/or bracelet available to inform medics of any allergies etc, but I find fiddly little things like that a hinderence when climbing. If the accident was serious enough, they probably wouldn't stay attached to me anyway.

I was thinking of having a tatoo done, perhaps on my wrist where the bracelet would normally be, describing the situation! Haha, but then maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get a 'too!

Wadday'all think? Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Cheers
Jono

hombre_x

Aug 8, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

Tape. It's all about the tape. I've only done indoor climbing and have never had any serious spills, but in any situation where you can lose jewelry (I have an eyebrow ring and a nipple ring), tape them down or take them out. That's my advice from personal experience. Take care.

Luke

thegreytradster

Aug 8, 2003, 9:58 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While not strictly jewelry related this is a good apocryphal story told by a guy I climbed with for years. No matter how much we dissed him about it he swears it's true.

A guy was leading a route in the valley and grabbed a bolt sticking his finger thru the hanger. At that instant he slipped leaving said finger in the company of the hangar. His second lowers him to the stance and bandages and secures him and then makes an attempt to retrieve the finger for possible reattachment. Feet before he reaches the bolt/finger a raven spots it and plucks it away for a meal.

Don't know if it ever happened, but the story sure keeps beginners from grabbing bolts!

banyan

Aug 8, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That seems like it wouldn't be a bad tattoo.

corpse

Aug 8, 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A guy was leading a route in the valley and grabbed a bolt sticking his finger thru the hanger. At that instant he slipped leaving said finger in the company of the hangar. His second lowers him to the stance and bandages and secures him and then makes an attempt to retrieve the finger for possible reattachment. Feet before he reaches the bolt/finger a raven spots it and plucks it away for a meal.

Don't know if it ever happened, but the story sure keeps beginners from grabbing bolts!

Doesn't matter if it's true, because I can certainly see it totally happening.. put a weak ass little pinky finger in there, a good finger lock with a "bottle opener" and good bye partial digit..

blotched

Aug 8, 2003, 11:38 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Jewelery Stuckage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*grits his teeth*
:roll:

pehperboy

Aug 9, 2003, 5:20 AM
Post #11 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought someone had posted a link (too lazy to look just now or it might be another climbing site) with a pic of a victim of just such an incident. The flesh on the finger had been totally stripped off and all that was left was bone - pretty ugly. :x

reno

Aug 9, 2003, 12:01 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm allergic to morphine, codiene and all derivatives (bummer), and was wondering what should happen if I have a climbing accident and am rendered unconcious. The first thing medics would do, I guess, if the injuries were serious, would be to pump me full of morphine, which would probably kill me, if the fall hadn't already

Depends on what you call an allergy. Some people claim they are allergic to a medication, when they actually just have adverse side effects (i.e. nausea, etc.) A true allergy involves a skin rash, trouble breathing, low blood pressure, etc.

If this is the case, I'd suggest you type this info on a small card, place the card in your wallet, with big bold letters: "ALLERGIC TO MORPHINE."

A bracelet that says the same thing might not interfere with climbing too much.

climbingcowboy

Aug 9, 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joegoesup wrote:
I lost my wedding ring in canada while ice climbng. My finger must has shrank while it was cold and I took off my glove to place a screw and saw it fall down the ice flow. Must have been a sign, I am divorced now.

thats freaking hillarous :lol: :lol: :lol:

jonoj wrote:

Actually probably wouldnt give that if you were unconcious, the Wallet thing is good but I HIGHLEY recomend you get one of those cheap little braclets or fake dogtags with your info on it.

jonoj

Aug 11, 2003, 7:37 AM
Post #14 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all!

I think I'll try a number of things - from keeping a note in my wallet, to a dayglo message painted on my helmet! :wink:

Jono

joeschmoe

Aug 12, 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm never had a problem w/ my rings, have both nip's pierced as well as eyebrow and i've climbed shirtless outdoors and indoors frequently w/o issues.

for the morphine. the tatt would work, as well as making sure all your buddies know that your allergic to morphine or your climbing partner of that day. and like others have said keep a big note in your wallet, backpack, backpocket, etc. EMT's are known for looking around for that stuff just incase. and if i'm not mistaken usually you gotta be concious for them to administer the drugs so just make you can mumble your allergies or something like that.

tradmanclimbs

Aug 12, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #16 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bracelets and climbing do not mix. Obviously rings are a stupid idea as well. Medical info should be on a short neckless. I do lots of knarly trad climbing, squeeze chimnys etc. and I have had a neckless since 1987 and never got it caught on the rock. It did come loose once on a day where we canoed to the cliff and did lots of swimming but I found it loose in my shirt 8) Wasen't meant to lose it. If I had a wedding ring I would wear it on the same cord. Emt's might not find a tatoo but are probobly trained to look for info on neckless.

bluelip

Aug 12, 2003, 2:28 AM
Post #17 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I was thinking of having a tatoo done, perhaps on my wrist where the bracelet would normally be, describing the situation! Haha, but then maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get a 'too!
Jono

How about writing directly on tape that is place on your arm/wrist/chest. Wouldn't be too comfy, but may help you if you're climbing alone or your partnet forgets to tell the medic.

Mike Coles
'bluelip'

hombre_x

Aug 15, 2003, 2:57 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Jono

How about writing directly on tape that is place on your arm/wrist/chest. Wouldn't be too comfy, but may help you if you're climbing alone or your partnet forgets to tell the medic.

Mike Coles
'bluelip'

Hey,

Not to criticize the idea ('cause it's a good one), but the odds of you being found if you're climbing alone may not be the best. Just a thought. Take care.

Luke

papounet

Aug 27, 2003, 8:11 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blood type and allergies on the outside of helmet are good too.

this remind me that I ought to update my blood type and injections card in my wallet too, bad, bad, bad

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook