RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

luigi

Jan 16, 2004, 1:59 PM
Post #1 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Touching the Void
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just saw this movie last night, what an excellent movie. Finally a movie that does justice to the climbing culture, (no cliffhanger or Vertical limit here), well done cinematography. If you get a chance check it out, its an independent film so look for it in that area of the movie guides. It open nationwide in a couple of weeks.

:)

qqclimber

Jan 16, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #2 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Re: Touching the Void [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I read a review of it this week and they said pretty much the same thing... great movie and actually shows REAL climbing. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes out here.

piton

Jan 16, 2004, 3:07 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i saw the movie also last night. every climber will enjoy this movie! just like to know if the movie was filmed at the Siula Grande.

great movie!

davemcdust

Jan 16, 2004, 3:17 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Saw it here in the UK last week, if you've read the book then it certainly wont disappoint you.

Its a good film length documentary and it should really draw you in, though its aimed at folk with little or no climbing experience as well so the descriptions tend to assume, very little climbing knowledge.

davemcdust

Jan 16, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #5 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

According to the closing credits it was filmed on location in Siula Grande and the Alps.

wigglestick

Jan 16, 2004, 3:53 PM
Post #6 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in Denver did you see it? I heard it wasn't coming until January 26th.

misfit4lf

Jan 16, 2004, 4:08 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great movie. Saw it last night in NYC.
Worth finding where its playing and going to see.
I Will probably go see it again.

kimmyt

Jan 16, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad this movie got good reviews...I'm planning on seeing it when it comes around to my local indie-movie theater but I wasn't sure if it was as awesome as it looked. Definitely on my must-see list.

K.

luigi

Jan 16, 2004, 4:25 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a sneak preview at the Esquire last night it was guest passes only, no tickets on sale for that.

mike_ok

Jan 16, 2004, 5:20 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see it listed on the "Coming Soon" list from my local indie theatre (The Angelika)... does anyone know if its coming to Dallas anytime soon?

beyond_gravity

Jan 18, 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #11 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it the same thing as the book?

I never read touching the void, but I did this game of ghosts. It was pretty good.

mojorisin

Jan 18, 2004, 1:20 AM
Post #12 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This movie should be great. I have read the book several times and everything else by Joe Simpson is awesome. This is about his epic in Peru, I wont say anything about it because I dont want to ruin it for anyone. Other books by him are This Game of Ghost's, Storms of Silence, Dark Shadows Falling. Anyone else know some by Him??

pirate

Jan 20, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #13 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree it is an excellent movie and I cannot wait to see it again!
I had the opportunity to be at the first premier showing of the film back in Nov. at the Banff mountain film festival in Banff of course.
We were all glued to the screen and it received a loud ovation at the end.

This movie is a must see for all Alpinists and...... well everyone should see it.

cheers
Shawn :wink:

alpinerocket

Jan 24, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #14 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here is a link to release dates an locations. I read the book a few years ago and it was great. cant wait for the movie to make it to SLC Utah. http://www.ifcfilms.com/?CAT0=3127&CAT1=4309&SHID=19906&AID=5408&CLR=red&BCLR=CC0000

pixelguru

Jan 24, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #15 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMDB is currently giving it 8.3 out of 10 stars. I make it a point to see anything that rates over a 7, and have yet to waste my time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379557/

cabouldering

Feb 23, 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #16 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw Touching The Void this last weekend. It was a great movie and gets a thumbs up from me. It also had some great technical content. I only detected one technical error. When Joe Simpson fell into the cravass he had his pack on. When he abseiled the rope in the crevass and climbed out the hole in the side with ice axes, he was not wearing his pack. Later, on the descent he was again wearing the pack.

CABouldering :D

jelli

Feb 23, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw the movie on Saturday in SLC, UT. To sum up the concensus of the forum: very well done, good adaptation of the book, excellent cinematography, great technical content, exciting, unbelievable, great movie.

Let me just say...I concur.

However, the most impressive thing to me about Touching the Void was the "honesty" of the film. The events that take place in this story are legend in the climbing community. Of course, you always question what is real and what has been embellished. I'm glad this was done in a documentary format, because the admission that critical mistakes were made came directly from Joe and Simon. Neither tried to play hero or pretend to be superhuman. They simply gave an unbelievable recount of the consequences of those mistakes and then included incredibly revealing admissions of the thoughts that went through their minds over that dreadful week. I greatly appreciated the candid dialog and was completely surpised by it.

Here are a couple examples of what I'm referring to (without giving too much away).

1) Joe was raised a staunch Catholic, but by the time they went to Peru he claimed to be an athiest. He had questioned periodically whether or not he would call on God if placed in a life-threatening situation. When he was, he admits that it never even crossed his mind.

2) Later, Simon fesses up that as he decended the mountain he internally debated with himself whether or not he should invent a story that would make him "look better." For those of you unfamiliar with the story, you'll understand the weight of this admission after you see the movie.

Joe and Simon didn't just tell us what happened, they opened up their hearts and shared their deepest thoughts, feelings, and emotions...candidly and honestly. To me, the legend has now become truth.

Excellent!

brittamac

Feb 23, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #18 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw Touching The Void this last weekend. It was a great movie and gets a thumbs up from me. It also had some great technical content. I only detected one technical error. When Joe Simpson fell into the cravass he had his pack on. When he abseiled the rope in the crevass and climbed out the hole in the side with ice axes, he was not wearing his pack. Later, on the descent he was again wearing the pack.

CABouldering :D

I think I remember in the book that he tossed his pack up and out of the part of the cravass he managed to climb out of - so maybe that was a bit of artistic license! :D

plund

Feb 23, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #19 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a well-made, harrowing, skin-crawling film!! Every time he snagged a crampon point during the lower, I winced! It was also refreshing to see/hear someone on the ragged edge NOT looking to blame someone - God, partner, mountain, etc. I concur (with Mr. Simpson) that the criticism heaped on Mr. Yates was entirely unjust - he does point out that was a big reason for writing the book, to praise & thank his partner. Excellent film - but where was their bolt gun??

ricardol

Feb 24, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #20 of 20 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love all the different brit ways to describe dying ..

.. it was amazing that either survived the epic, specially since every time something else went wrong they were sure they would then die ..

-- ricardo

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook